The Student Room Group

Student Finance for second degree In UK, First degree from Ireland

As anyone who know of student finance, contacting them is a difficult feat. Emails do not exist and phone numbers are never working. I wish to apply for a degree in astrophysics as i want to become an astronomer. But i have a previous degree from Ireland, BUT, it was self funded since it was so cheap and i didn't get finance support as Ireland had a very archaic system for finance and no loan companies existed at the time for students. So i had to work for what i studied.. Due to the costs of college now working for each year to pay for the fees is literally impossible part time. What can i do? Bear in mind i never got student finance before, but i've been told that since i have an ordinary degree I wont get a dime even though i have never dealt with them before.Though the degree i want is an Hon Degree, my previous degree is ordinary so it is technically not EQL .Is that true? I only see it if its an Honors Degree from UK, that students dont get funding. Would I have any chance to get a special consideration?
Original post by Buddingalchemist
As anyone who know of student finance, contacting them is a difficult feat. Emails do not exist and phone numbers are never working. I wish to apply for a degree in astrophysics as i want to become an astronomer. But i have a previous degree from Ireland, BUT, it was self funded since it was so cheap and i didn't get finance support as Ireland had a very archaic system for finance and no loan companies existed at the time for students. So i had to work for what i studied.. Due to the costs of college now working for each year to pay for the fees is literally impossible part time. What can i do? Bear in mind i never got student finance before, but i've been told that since i have an ordinary degree I wont get a dime even though i have never dealt with them before.Though the degree i want is an Hon Degree, my previous degree is ordinary so it is technically not EQL .Is that true? I only see it if its an Honors Degree from UK, that students dont get funding. Would I have any chance to get a special consideration?

When it comes to Student Finance the rule is regarding previous years of STUDY, not previous of funding. The only exceptions to this is if you studied Nursing, Medicine, Social Work(?) or Dentistry as your second degree.

You will should call student finance, but I doubt they will fund you.
Reply 2
The difference between an Ordinary degree (non-Honours) and an Honours degree in the UK, is usually only the third year dissertation. As you already have a qualification which is substantially the same as an Honours degree, you probably aren't eligible for funding.

Keep trying to contact Student Finance (they also have a Q&A section on TSR where you can post your enquiry) but I wouldn't be optimistic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending