The Student Room Group

i work out lots yet still have big thighs and hips

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JolieLRmurrell
I just thought they looked odd how they stick out a little more haha. Thanks :wink: I'm currently doing the squat challenge and up to 130 squats....so i'll keep going on that :smile: My legs are the one thing i dislike the most

130 squats? lmao strong waste of time, get on a proper 5x5 routine with heavy weight that actually requires effort
Reply 21
calories in vs calories out.
You will only lose weight if you eat less calories. Basically your body burns a certain amount of energy per day called the basal metabolic rate (this can be calculated online) if you eat above this amount you gain fat and if you eat under this then you lose weight.
This means if you don't eat properly then you can go to the gym with no results.
The gym allows you to burn more calories and increase the likelihood of going under the 'maintenance' level of calories you need per day to lose weight. So basically just measure what you eat and eat a little less coupled with the gym and you should start to lose weight.

As other people have said you wont lose weight from your legs only, fat reduction comes off of the whole body not just one area
Reply 22
Original post by BieberBro
lol @ cycling building muscle

don't think so tim

Emm yes it does. I cycled competitively and my legs were very well defined and muscled.

Also i'm not tim.

QED you are an idiot
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks everyone for your advise :smile:
I have to be careful where food is concerned and I'm not allowed to diet because i have problems with it like I go way over the top and have had bulimia and stuff and been really ill when i haven't eaten stuff....i'll just try and exercise even more :smile: thank you everyone x
I just thought they looked odd how they stick out a little more haha. Thanks :wink: I'm currently doing the squat challenge and up to 130 squats....so i'll keep going on that :smile: My legs are the one thing i dislike the most

I'm very similar to you in terms of having the same sort of body, and I also always hated my hips and thighs the most.
Definitely don't stop doing weights as they're super good for lots of things. But what you should also do is a lot of intense cycling. And when I say intense, I mean highly cardiovascular rather than highly resistant. (I know these aren't mutually exclusive). Basically if you have a good weights routine, then that aspect is already covering your muscle work, resistance and so on. But for losing weight, getting your heart rate up and sustaining it there on a frequent basis is very effective. Of course, as everybody else says, you have to do stuff that makes you lose weight overall rather than trying to find something that will make you lose weight in just one area. And diet is part of that. But if you are somebody who stores fat in the hips and thighs, then you will lose there because that's where a lot of the stores are. That's what I found, anyway. But obviously your natural body ratio will stay the same (and as other say, that's great, since its an attractive womanly shape), but it might mean the sticky-outy bits going down a bit.

You squat 130 kg?? that's pretty good maybe you have some muscle on your legs either way you look fine just keep healthy and don;t do anything silly.
Original post by kinghassan78
You squat 130 kg?? that's pretty good maybe you have some muscle on your legs either way you look fine just keep healthy and don;t do anything silly.

No, she squats 130 times consecutively. It's some stupid "squat challenge" that's frequently posted and women follow.
Reply 27
Original post by Ireland6
Emm yes it does. I cycled competitively and my legs were very well defined and muscled.

Also i'm not tim.

QED you are an idiot

I do about 6 miles a day on my bike and haven't noticed any difference in calves...hard to tell with quads because I squat regular. But my housemate who does a lot more miles than I do hasn't got big legs at all, they're pretty twiggy.

Leg size is a lot more genetic than say upper-body.

Squats aren't gonna make your legs and thighs smaller. If anything it'll make them bigger. You need to determine if it's excess fat or bone structure that's giving you the big hip region, if it's the later there's not much you can do. If it's the former then you can't spot reduce weight, the only way you'd be able to slim them down is through weightloss all over, and judging by your pics I'd say you're a pear shape so this would be difficult as you probably gain weight on your lower half more easily so this would be the area you'd loose it last, so to speak.

For the record though I think you look fine. It's nice and normal for a girl to have shapely or curvier hips and thighs.
Reply 29
You're a girl, you're supposed to look like that.
I feel like that about my thighs too! I just started going to a gym on Monday (couldn't afford it before) and the fitness trainer gave me a really good workout to do which seems to be exercising the right bits :smile: does your gym have fitness trainers? They may help you out, and give you good exercises to do. I used to do plenty of leg exercises which just didn't seem to help, now after 2 sessions my thighs are in agony :tongue:
To be honest you look fine as you are :smile: I understand how you feel though, I feel the same :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
don't know how i come across you !!!, was just browsing around gym stuff...warm up on the cross trainer for half an hour - then do loads of squats ,and squat lunges. check out with your gym on difrant types of squats -theres loads you can do ..but the most affective i think 4 u is squat lunges -they are barbell across you sholders say 10 kl 4 u, in standing position step forwards and squat down just touching knee to floor and return, then same othere leg.-do 10 each leg forward, then 10 each leg backward- try it without the weight firts . if you get bored of that there's walking lunges same thing just your moving forwards one step at a time and squat one leg. you'll need some space in front of you for that. ask at your gym what iv'e said about this ,they will know and some one should show you,or you tube it. you HAVE to put these in at least 4-5 times a week . you'll feell it !! but they'll work 4 you.. ... G.
Original post by Georgie18
don't know how i come across you !!!, was just browsing around gym stuff...warm up on the cross trainer for half an hour - then do loads of squats ,and squat lunges. check out with your gym on difrant types of squats -theres loads you can do ..but the most affective i think 4 u is squat lunges -they are barbell across you sholders say 10 kl 4 u, in standing position step forwards and squat down just touching knee to floor and return, then same othere leg.-do 10 each leg forward, then 10 each leg backward- try it without the weight firts . if you get bored of that there's walking lunges same thing just your moving forwards one step at a time and squat one leg. you'll need some space in front of you for that. ask at your gym what iv'e said about this ,they will know and some one should show you,or you tube it. you HAVE to put these in at least 4-5 times a week . you'll feell it !! but they'll work 4 you.. ... G.

Is this even real? You somehow manage to resurrect a thread that's over a year old and then give the most incoherent, illiterate advice with units of measurement that don't even EXIST (kl anyone?). Wow. Just.... Wow.

Quick Reply

Latest