The Student Room Group

Jobs that 16 year olds can apply for?

I'm in desperate need of a job, anyone who is currently 16 and has a job in London tell me where my best bet is? I've searched for hours online but it seems people aren't keen to take on 16 year olds, most are 18+ yet loads of 16 year olds seem to get jobs? Does anyone know of vacancies anywhere in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any 16 year old can get a job if your have your National Insurance number

I know topshop/topman /miss selfridge / urban outfitters/ new look every high street store has 16yrolds+ working there

Just maybe not adult shops!
Reply 2
Anything other than jobs you legally need to be 18 to work in (serving alcohol etc, or caring for people in a nursing home). Your best bet is to apply for shops and cafes/restaurants.
Fast food places are always hiring, so places like McDonalds, KFC, Subway, Pizza hut or Burger king could all be places to apply to if you don't mind working in a fast paced environment.
When I was 16 (I feel like such an old lady writing that....) I worked in Sainsburys on the weekends which was rather hellish but good for me in the long run. I would also recommend getting an appointment at your local Reed office - there's one in most cities - and talking to someone about what jobs are available near you.
When getting retail jobs, it's generally better to go into your local store and hand your CV in - they are not always advertised online. Make sure you ask to hand your CV (and covering letter if you write one) directly to the manager, otherwise the checkout assistant will just chuck it in the bin. Make sure you are well dressed and prepare for a few questions in case they give you a mini interview there and then.
I got my job at McDonalds when I was 16, and I'm still there two years later as it got me through college, and will hopefully get me through uni now as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SortYourLife
I got my job at McDonalds when I was 16, and I'm still there two years later as it got me through college, and will hopefully get me through uni now as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done the same and I'm hoping to transfer for the next 4 years too while I'm at university, they're promoting me up to a shift manager before I go though, so the better wage will always be good but I'm not too sure I'd really want all that extra responsibilities :redface:
Original post by MathsNerd1
I've done the same and I'm hoping to transfer for the next 4 years too while I'm at university, they're promoting me up to a shift manager before I go though, so the better wage will always be good but I'm not too sure I'd really want all that extra responsibilities :redface:

Aw that's nice aha, I'm still a crew member, although I was doing crew trainer stuff the other day, say what :redface:

Really hoping I do get promoted soon though, just need to push to get trained in kitchen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlommm
I'm in desperate need of a job, anyone who is currently 16 and has a job in London tell me where my best bet is? I've searched for hours online but it seems people aren't keen to take on 16 year olds, most are 18+ yet loads of 16 year olds seem to get jobs? Does anyone know of vacancies anywhere in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey, i live in birmingham and jobs are quite hard to find, i managed to find a job in a catering company within birmingham university. try places with little companies in. i started just before my 16th bday! illegal but i did! just keep looking, and look on gumtree!
Original post by Chlommm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best bet is little shops, like one-off, eg cafes. Big chains tend to prefer older/more experience. I got a job in a sandwich shop at 16, and then worked up, eventually got a job in a chain shop. Online may be where you're going wrong - the kind of little shops that'll hire younger are the kind of shops that won't advertise online, get out there and give out some CVs.
Original post by SortYourLife
Aw that's nice aha, I'm still a crew member, although I was doing crew trainer stuff the other day, say what :redface:

Really hoping I do get promoted soon though, just need to push to get trained in kitchen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you'll have to be fully trained before they can promote you unfortunately so try your best to get in the kitchen as much as possible for your next few shifts, if you discuss your aim to be promoted with whoever does your schedule then they'll be able to help you out :smile:

Also the kitchen is pretty awesome really as that's where I started off 2 years ago in a few weeks and over that space of time I've had Employee of the Month 4 times and Employee of the Quarter in the very first quarter that I worked there, so even though I've only had 2 shifts a week they truly appreciate my input. For example I had an open yesterday in the kitchen and there were meant to be 6 people in the kitchen as we expected to do a £500 hour and £700 hour but instead there were only 3 of us and we still did those targets, I'm very tired because of the 10 hour shift now though :tongue:
Original post by Vickywright95
hey, i live in birmingham and jobs are quite hard to find, i managed to find a job in a catering company within birmingham university. try places with little companies in. i started just before my 16th bday! illegal but i did! just keep looking, and look on gumtree!

Minimum work age is 14, not illegal :smile: (13 for paper rounds I think!)
Original post by wtfCharlie
Minimum work age is 14, not illegal :smile: (13 for paper rounds I think!)

it is illegal depending on the job. plus you need a NI number to be paid
Original post by Vickywright95
it is illegal depending on the job. plus you need a NI number to be paid

Ah, so you weren't helping out with taking food in but actually preparing?

tbf don't see why under-16s shouldn't work in food prep ...
Reply 16
Original post by Chlommm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, like others say, shop/cafe work is good at 16. When I was 16 I got a job on Waitrose checkouts and was a brilliant company to work at, lots of support and training and bonus at the end of the year!

Just seen this article too, that you may find useful which mentioned other companies that take on 16 year olds: http://www.office-angels.com/en-GB/help-and-advice/news-and-opinion/blogs/job-opportunities-school-leavers.aspx#.UePJC9LqnDY
Original post by wtfCharlie
Ah, so you weren't helping out with taking food in but actually preparing?

tbf don't see why under-16s shouldn't work in food prep ...

Food prep has a lot of restrictions on it. 17 for the use of knives and 18 for most pieces of equipment. I've worked in a restaurant since I was 16 and all you can really do is clear tables. One of shops are good starting points and network! My very first job came through a family friend once I had some experience behind me finding another job became much easier!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by winningjojo
Food prep has a lot of restrictions on it. 17 for the use of knives and 18 for most pieces of equipment. I've worked in a restaurant since I was 16 and all you can really do is clear tables. One of shops are good starting points and network! My very first job came through a family friend once I had some experience behind me finding another job became much easier!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I worked in a cafe at 16, and a lot of the cooking was fine . . . frying breakfasts, cooking stuff in the oven, frying chips etc ... you can do quite a bit without knives :P McDs and KFC workers are often quite young...
Reply 19
Original post by Chlommm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Boots, B&Q and M&S.

All pay normal wages but then £9+ on a Sunday.

I worked at B&Q - it isn't fun, but you get proper breaks and it is well organised.

A friend of mine worked for Boots and got paid good money, also, she was treated really well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending