The Student Room Group

Considering dropping out. Desperate for advice.

I'm very much a person who says don't start anything unless you intend to finish it, however recently i have been seriously considering dropping out of uni.

I study Art and Design on a foundation degree. I will be going into my second year and i have MILLIONS of new worries.

I am £800 in my overdraft... so far.
I am in London and have an expensive flat (but cheap for the area, Kingston)
I don't get as much student loan because they consider my 2nd year to be my last, whether i want to do a top up or not. (this completes the 3 years at degree level rather than foundation)
I have to pay council tax - over £1400 from july onwards as it is my offical course end date, and they said on the phone today that the top up may not count as full time education for tax exemption
I can't afford food
I dont have family support
I have to be in to study more than any other degree courses, 4 full days a week 9am - 5pm sometimes 7pm. Making getting a job difficult... competing against all the experienced, flexible students.
I have a boyfriend back at home which i saw a lot last year and its all working great, but if i get a job i can't see him, my free time will be filled with work.
So i'll be working as much as possible to pay for everything and wont spend enough time on my art/design work.

I'm not enjoying anything! I'm house bound and job hunting 24/7. I can't eat, theres no food. I'm in debt. and my ENTIRE loan goes on rent and bills. So i asked myself is this worth it? the answer is no, and so i dont know if this is even what i want to do anymore :l
I'm considering finishing this year and then moving home in july and not getting a full degree, or even dropping out now before the new year starts so i dont make my situation any worse, i dont want to leave uni and be below the bread line... The only thing that has stopped me so far is that i achieved AAAB at the end of this year, i know i CAN do this, i just dont know if i want to anymore :frown: but i cant help but think that money worries is influencing my decision? or because we've been off so long? Or if i genuinely dont like what i'm studying!

Tough love welcome, please just give me some perspective!
Things they dont tell you before uni...
Reply 1
I may get myself into the same situation but I risk it anyway.

My only advice is this: don't think that degree is everything. You need to consider realistically whether you can support yourself on your own. If you cannot, then seek for an academic holiday. Skip one year because you are forced to and deal with it! Find the work immediately. You cannot change it. As Dale Carnegie used to say: "Don't saw a sawdust." Start crying and remove tension from your body. But stop wasting your energy on this bull**** we live in.

If you need to complete a degree then you have to firstly earn money and then get back to uni if possible and continue. This is the ****ty life you are in and this is reality that everyone around you including universities is just running a business without any pity and humanity left in them.

This is the current state in the world where poor are trashed and rich are getting all the privilege. It is your responsibility to understand that currently they are winning 1:0 against you and you must turn your life to the other direction to survive. And then it is my and your responsibility to change this garbage world we live in where your worth in society is measured on the amount of money you have either stolen or "legally earned" - yeah right.

You must never give up. Become angry. Think for yourself that this is a lost battle but not a war. Find a job. Do everything you can to earn money for last year of your studies and complete your degree. Then, remember what this country did for you and work towards destroying this system as I will do.
Reply 2
Can you not move into student accommodation? Are you renting a flat on your own? That would help with the bills at least.
What about defering your year, work full time for the year and then return next year?
Reply 3
Original post by Valentas
I may get myself into the same situation but I risk it anyway.

My only advice is this: don't think that degree is everything. You need to consider realistically whether you can support yourself on your own. If you cannot, then seek for an academic holiday. Skip one year because you are forced to and deal with it! Find the work immediately. You cannot change it. As Dale Carnegie used to say: "Don't saw a sawdust." Start crying and remove tension from your body. But stop wasting your energy on this bull**** we live in.

If you need to complete a degree then you have to firstly earn money and then get back to uni if possible and continue. This is the ****ty life you are in and this is reality that everyone around you including universities is just running a business without any pity and humanity left in them.

This is the current state in the world where poor are trashed and rich are getting all the privilege. It is your responsibility to understand that currently they are winning 1:0 against you and you must turn your life to the other direction to survive. And then it is my and your responsibility to change this garbage world we live in where your worth in society is measured on the amount of money you have either stolen or "legally earned" - yeah right.

You must never give up. Become angry. Think for yourself that this is a lost battle but not a war. Find a job. Do everything you can to earn money for last year of your studies and complete your degree. Then, remember what this country did for you and work towards destroying this system as I will do.

Haha! que epic world domination music.
Thanks for that, I'm not really sure which way this makes me sway more towards tbh. I think it doesn't help that i left alevels and went straight into this, i recommend that every Alevel student wait at least a year or 2 before university. There's no rush.

Thankyou for the reply
Reply 4
Original post by ddtown
Can you not move into student accommodation? Are you renting a flat on your own? That would help with the bills at least.
What about defering your year, work full time for the year and then return next year?

I'm going into my second year so the accommodation is no longer available to me. I share a flat with 2 others, it does help A LOT but just not enough...
Reply 5
I waited a year and understood what I want. Yet, it did not fix the crappy system we live in. And I'm going the one who will do something about this. There are so many people who are not going to uni and they are changing the world. I go to uni because it is free for me except living costs which are very high for my family. Part-time job...yeah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending