The Student Room Group

Unclear about Clearing

When a uni goes into clearing, will it post the grades required or just state that its in Clearing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It will just state it is in clearing.
Reply 2
When you go onto the UCAS website and select a particular subject to see what unis are in clearing, you'll see the uni and courses available. When you click on one, they would also have the grades required. Sometimes this can be the same as the original requirements however it could also be higher or lower.
Reply 3
Thanks - let s hope it won't come to that. I m in serious panic mode now 😱

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cpdavis
When you go onto the UCAS website and select a particular subject to see what unis are in clearing, you'll see the uni and courses available. When you click on one, they would also have the grades required. Sometimes this can be the same as the original requirements however it could also be higher or lower.

I was not aware of that, thanks for posting.
Hi Elisabetta26,

You will also have the opportunity to speak to academics on results day to try and agree on a deal if your grades were lower. Academics can sometimes offer you a place if you have lower grades if you show that you have the aptitude or interest they are looking for.

I hope this helps.

Joe Parker
[email protected]
Reply 6
Reply 7
Original post by cpdavis

As someone that works in clearing this is the most wrong thing I have ever seen on TSR.

THE GRADE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT STATED BY UNI'S FOR CLEARING. A lot uni's do not want these grades in the public domain.
:confused:Entry requirements are listed under the 'Entry Requirements' tab when you have clicked through the clearing course search. They are listed as 'typical offer', which gives the university a bit of flexibility, but there is no point in not listing them, since otherwise applicants would have no guidance as to whether there was any point in phoning up with their set of qualifications.
Reply 9
Original post by L4L4
As someone that works in clearing this is the most wrong thing I have ever seen on TSR.

THE GRADE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT STATED BY UNI'S FOR CLEARING. A lot uni's do not want these grades in the public domain.

Just found this on a course in clearing: http://search.ucas.com/course/entryrequirements/39483/accountancy?Vac=1&AvailableIn=Clearing&page=1&providerids=801&ret=results#coursedetailsmenu

Not going to argue here, just trying to give the applicant the facts.
Reply 10
What if the entry requirements for Clearing state BBB (as in the case of Liverpool uni) but your grades are ABC - would the A compensate for the C?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by L4L4

I'm afraid I agree with cpdavis.

Liverpool have clearing vacancies on their website with revised entry requirements. As an example, BSc Mathematics standard entry requirements are ABB (with an A in Maths), but their revised clearing requirements are BBB.

Whilst you may work in clearing and do speak with experience, there are universities who do state their clearing entry requirements. I do not dispute that there are many universities who do not state revised entry requirements, but, as above, there are universities that do. So, to say otherwise is misleading.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
hey i was wondering, is it true that if you get a place at a uni through clearing you can't go to their freshers week?
Hi, I have a question:

Is it possible for you to apply for a course via clearing at a university which you have missed the offer for another course?

I.e: you have the grades for the course which is in clearing for that university but you have missed the offer for the other course which you originally applied for and got an offer but you missed the offer.

Thanks
Original post by cheesey4this
Hi, I have a question:

Is it possible for you to apply for a course via clearing at a university which you have missed the offer for another course?

I.e: you have the grades for the course which is in clearing for that university but you have missed the offer for the other course which you originally applied for and got an offer but you missed the offer.

Thanks

Yes you can, although if it's a very similar course to the one you missed (i.e. within the same department) they will sometimes offer you that course themselves before you started the clearing process. It will say something on Track (and I forget the wording, sorry) about altered courses.
Reply 15
Original post by Elisabetta26
What if the entry requirements for Clearing state BBB (as in the case of Liverpool uni) but your grades are ABC - would the A compensate for the C?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly the same problem I face, I really want to know if the uni would accept ABC instead of BBB especially if the A is in the subject so want to study
Original post by zaneali
This is exactly the same problem I face, I really want to know if the uni would accept ABC instead of BBB especially if the A is in the subject so want to study

They don't have to, but they often will. I'm afraid nobody can be any more helpful that that, because it varies from course to course, university to university and year to year.
Reply 17
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Yes you can, although if it's a very similar course to the one you missed (i.e. within the same department) they will sometimes offer you that course themselves before you started the clearing process. It will say something on Track (and I forget the wording, sorry) about altered courses.

UCC - unconditional changed course and you have 5 days in which to accept/reject the new offer.

Info from TSR:

•If a choice updates to UCC (Unconditional Changed Course), you have missed the required grades for your offer, but your university is offering you a place on a similar course with lower requirements, or are offering a different start date (i.e. deferred entry).

•You do not have to accept this alternative, but you have five days to do so, and may wish to contact the university direct to discuss it.
Reply 18
Original post by short
hey i was wondering, is it true that if you get a place at a uni through clearing you can't go to their freshers week?

Where on Earth did you here that! :eek: No seriously, once you get in, you will be equivalent with any other student. :smile:
Original post by Bunnyjo
UCC - unconditional changed course and you have 5 days in which to accept/reject the new offer.

Info from TSR:

•If a choice updates to UCC (Unconditional Changed Course), you have missed the required grades for your offer, but your university is offering you a place on a similar course with lower requirements, or are offering a different start date (i.e. deferred entry).

•You do not have to accept this alternative, but you have five days to do so, and may wish to contact the university direct to discuss it.

Ta.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending