The Student Room Group

Missed my place by 4UMS

I missed my place at LSE by 4UMS marks in further maths, but I was 46 UMS marks over the A boundary in Maths. I also got an A in economics, the offer was AAA for statistics with finance. They have told me there is no chance. My insurance is queen mary london, but I feel LSE is so good. Should I go to Queen Mary? Or reapply for other unis? Do places like Kings accept retakes for when you miss out by so little marks? I got 7A*, 2A and one short course A* at GCSE
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by rosev2010
I missed my place at LSE by 4UMS marks in further maths, but I was 46 UMS marks over the A boundary in Maths. I also got an A in economics, the offer was AAA for statistics with finance. They have told me there is no chance. My insurance is queen mary london, but I feel LSE is so good. Should I go to Queen Mary? Or reapply for pure mathematics. Do places like Kings accept retakes for when you miss out by so little marks?

Places like Kings do accept resits, but you really need to weigh up the situation carefully. How big a deal is taking a year out? Do you have things you can do in that year that will strengthen your application? I'd also recommend contacting the Universities you really want to get into about your situation, as when it comes to Maths some places worry about gap years, as you can lose a lot of short term knowledge and ability in that time. So it would be a gamble.
Queen Mary isn't bad, so think carefully.
Reply 2
Original post by Craghyrax
Places like Kings do accept resits, but you really need to weigh up the situation carefully. How big a deal is taking a year out? Do you have things you can do in that year that will strengthen your application? I'd also recommend contacting the Universities you really want to get into about your situation, as when it comes to Maths some places worry about gap years, as you can lose a lot of short term knowledge and ability in that time. So it would be a gamble.
Queen Mary isn't bad, so think carefully.

Yes true, but its just that I missed out by 4UMS!

have you taught of a remark?
Reply 4
Original post by master_blaster66

It is a option, but with subjects like maths there isn't really that many discrepancies in marks like there is with subjects like History and English so I really wouldn't get my hopes up using that method. Worth a try? Sure.
Reply 5
Original post by master_blaster66

Yes but to be honest I dont think I would get any better :|
Reply 6

I thought that LSE told you that there 'wasn't any chance'. If they said that to you, then they mean it. Whether you're out by 1 or 20 marks :wink: What you could do is speak to your school about getting a priority remark on that paper, and then ask LSE to hold out until August in case you then manage to meet the condition. But if you're not going the remark route, then it is a case of QMU this year or reapplying (or Clearing).

I know there's something funny about how the maths papers are put together, but could you get some further paper remarks? You never know, maybe it got marked wrong.
Reply 8
Missed out by 3UMS, pretty tough to take. Exeter refused to let let in. Tight margins eh!
A remark is something to consider, but be aware that papers close to the boundary are scrutinised especially carefully for obvious reasons and they can go down as well as up. If you are going to do this, you will need to order a priority remark in order to meet your conditions by 31st August and you must tell the university you are doing it.
Reply 10
Original post by Craghyrax
I thought that LSE told you that there 'wasn't any chance'. If they said that to you, then they mean it. Whether you're out by 1 or 20 marks :wink: What you could do is speak to your school about getting a priority remark on that paper, and then ask LSE to hold out until August in case you then manage to meet the condition. But if you're not going the remark route, then it is a case of QMU this year or reapplying (or Clearing).

Yes I know they did. Im just wondering whether its worth going to Queen Mary though or waiting out and reapplying to better unis, if they will take the remark
Reply 11
Original post by iwandthomas
Missed out by 3UMS, pretty tough to take. Exeter refused to let let in. Tight margins eh!

Yes very annoying! Where are you going instead?
Yes very annoying! Where are you going instead?

Oxford Brookes. Tough with Law, one grade can make a lot of difference. But less complaining, at least I am going somewhere. :smile:
Yes I know they did. Im just wondering whether its worth going to Queen Mary though or waiting out and reapplying to better unis, if they will take the remark

I already answered that question. Is there any aspect of my post that wasn't clear? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending