The Student Room Group

Personal Statements for Joint Hons Course

Hi,

If I'm thinking of applying to a Mathematics with computer sci course, is there a different way to approach the personal statement. Should i talk about how I enjoy both subject individually and how I think they will benefit me in the longer term?

Also, as I'm thinking applying to some universities to do soley mathematics (as some don't offer the combination degree) am I able to sent a different personal statement to those universites or do I have to send the same ones. If this is the case, how do I make it relevant as the mathematics on its own won't care about what I say about computer sci will they?

Thanks
Original post by ftball22
Hi,

If I'm thinking of applying to a Mathematics with computer sci course, is there a different way to approach the personal statement. Should i talk about how I enjoy both subject individually and how I think they will benefit me in the longer term?

Also, as I'm thinking applying to some universities to do soley mathematics (as some don't offer the combination degree) am I able to sent a different personal statement to those universites or do I have to send the same ones. If this is the case, how do I make it relevant as the mathematics on its own won't care about what I say about computer sci will they?

Thanks

You can only send one ps and the golden rule is to make all the courses you are applying for as close as possible. You will have to choose sooner or later, so choose what you really want first and make a properly targeted application. Put yourself in the shoes of the admissions tutors for the single maths course who will be wondering how committed to maths you are if half your ps is about computer science.
Reply 2
Original post by ftball22
Hi,

Also, as I'm thinking applying to some universities to do solely mathematics (as some don't offer the combination degree) am I able to sent a different personal statement to those universities or do I have to send the same ones. If this is the case, how do I make it relevant as the mathematics on its own won't care about what I say about computer sci will they?

Thanks

I'm afraid you have to send the same PS to every uni you apply for - unfortunately you can't write two. If you want to make some applications to maths and maths & cs, then you'll have to write your application quite unashamedly about both subjects. When you talk about maths, say how your interest is on the application of maths, especially in the field of computer science. You should be able to bridge the gap between both degrees, and even if the admissions tutors at the maths-only places twig what you're doing (they almost certainly will!) then you can say that you have a joint interest in two closely related fields. What's the split between courses? If it's 4 joint and 1 single honours, then find another joint honours and hedge your bets. If you're looking at 2:3 for example, you might want to consider changing one application as the single honours people might question your loyalty to maths - doesn't mean you'll be getting a straight rejection, but you might have to explain yourself!

Take a look at the link below for some exemplar personal statements that other people have written (don't be a mug and plagiarise, they check!) including a few on maths & CS. See how they do it, and then look how you can start to phrase yours. Good luck!

Link
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending