The Student Room Group

Mum's found out I don't wear the headscarf.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mr Advice
Educated? In what sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing he means educated in the sense that they understand wearing a piece of cloth on your head or not wearing a piece of cloth on your head will make literally no difference to the outcome of anyones life.
Original post by StalkeR47
I understand. I am a Muslim. I have 1 sister. She is about to go to college ad my mum will never let her go to the college without her headscarf. In reality, you mum would not kick you out but not wearing a headscarf in not acceptable in Islam. You will see many Muslim women not wearing headscarf. You seriously need to know the reason of wearing a scarf. Wearing a headscarf should not be up to you, but up to the Islam. (A) Islam teaches us respect and authority. You have to listen to your mum and do what she says to you. In Islam, disobeying your parents is strictly forbidden (B) However, the only reason you can disobey your parents is when they are stopping you from the prayer (namaz). In Qur'an, Allah mentioned in the Qur'an, "those who do not obey their parents, the door of the heaven is closed for them". So it means you have to listen to your mum if you do not want to enter the hell (C) In other words, Your parents want your safety, Hijab protects a women from wrong eye sights. It is also worn in the presence of males. The Qur'an does not mention hijab, but khimar. You can find out the difference between hijab and khimar. (D)

(A) But it isn't, we live in a Western society and the law is on her side.

(B) Even if they command something which is thoroughly abhorrent? Someone who calls their daughter a slut is not a mother and is not worthy of respect.

(C) Would that be the case if hell existed.

(D) Ah, victim blaming - got to love it. If that is the reason for wearing it, it is insulting to males for insinuating that they cannot keep their penises in their trousers and it is infringing on her right to liberty. The liberty to choose what she wants to wear.
I honestly think this behaviour is disgusting, particularly as you are an adult.
I am assuming you are just a teenager. Right? You need to read a Quran with its analysis. You need to understand The QURAN. You are very lucky to have a parent like your mum.

Who denigrates her child in front of others and refers to her as an inhumane being? She seems the pinnacle of love and admiration.
Original post by DarkParadise
I can't wear jeans. I can't wear "short" tops. I can't wear make-up. I can't listen to music. I can't go out later than ten pm (if I do I face serious repercussions - my mum broke my laptop the last time I broke this curfew). I can't play my ukulele/guitar which I had to literally beg my mum to keep after i saved up and bought them. I can't talk to boys.
There's probably more but that's all I can think of.

Your mother and family sound awful. At 19 you are an adult and should be able to decide these things for yourself. Are you at university or do you work? When do you think you'll be able to move out realistically? It's difficult to comment on how to help without knowing more of your circumstances.
So a month or so ago I stopped wearing the hijab as I realised I was wearing it for the wrong reasons (local community expectations rather than religion). Obviously my mum, a rather strict, traditional woman who can never be open to change, found out a few days ago as my brother, his friend and cousin (who'd attempted to blackmail me into doing favours for them in exchange for them keeping quiet, which I refused) saw me working without the hijab. She started crying about how what i was doing was wrong and how I was a slut/ non-Muslim piece of crap. The most hurtful thing she said to me was that I was absolutely nothing.

She then handed me the Qur'an and told me that if she ever heard about me not wearing the hijab ever again, I'd be kicked out.
I have nowhere to go if I am to be kicked out.
Now, every time I come back from a day/evening out, she always comments on whether I've "taken it off" or not. I ignored her, which annoys her a lot, but the lack of choice i have in making decisions about my own life as a 19 year old is so frustrating to deal with.

Just today, I came back from a day out and she was with her friend. I knew instantly she'd berate me for a lot of **** since she always shows off/acts up when in the company of her friends. Anyway, she asked again if I had "taken it off", and her friend giggled. It turns out that she's told nearly EVERYBODY that I've turned into a Khafir, and that I don't wear the hijab anymore. When I ignored her, she turned verbally abusive, demanding to have some of my money and then, when I refused, calling me an "ugly slut".

She seriously pisses me off so much but I have no one to talk to about this. I feel genuinely upset about now being forced to wear the headscarf when I simply don't want to.
I feel so alone. Is there anyone who can help?

It's a bit like my elder sister's situation except that she wouldn't get in as much trouble as my family respects her decisions at her age (19). Just attempt to get your mum to see reason - you're an adult and can make your own decisions. Good luck!
Reply 26
I am assuming you are just a teenager. Right? You need to read a Quran with its analysis. You need to understand The QURAN. You are very lucky to have a parent like your mum.

I'm 19.
Don't be so patronising. I'm not lucky at all. I feel depressed because of the things she says, and all I can do is wait until I save up to leave.
Free will? you are right about a free will. But, There is not free will in Qur'an. Here is the quote from the quran. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and to guard their

private parts, and not to reveal any of their ‘zinatahhunna’ (beauty spots)

except what is normally apparent, and to draw their ‘khumurihhinna’
(their khimars) over their ‘juyoob’ (cleavage/bossom)"

24:31

Sounds like victim blaming to me.
Reply 28
When she hands you the kran, ask her to show you where it says you have to wear headscarves - it's not compulsory for muslims :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by ToLiveInADream
It's a bit like my elder sister's situation except that she wouldn't get in as much trouble as my family respects her decisions at her age (19). Just attempt to get your mum to see reason - you're an adult and can make your own decisions. Good luck!

Apologies. I'm Somali, so I'm literally alone in this. no other Somali that I know of has done what I'm attempting to do.
I'm just entering my second year of uni, however my mum has forced me to stay at home and go to uni as well.
I also work part-time at River Island, and I'm hoping to save up.
But I'm scared. I really don't know how to explain it, but I'm scared of being alone.
Original post by SkinnyKat
Your mother and family sound awful. At 19 you are an adult and should be able to decide these things for yourself. Are you at university or do you work? When do you think you'll be able to move out realistically? It's difficult to comment on how to help without knowing more of your circumstances.

I can imagine how it'd be for her because the whole community will know about your situations and other Muslims instantly judge you when they see your wearing jeans. I'm 15 and I constantly get comments about wearing jeans at my age and how I should be more religious blah blah from random strangers. Muslim girls are basically the property of their father until they get married. Your parent's rules. I just thank that my parents let me make my own decisions and my freedom even though they are religious.
Free will? you are right about a free will. But, There is not free will in Qur'an. Here is the quote from the quran. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and to guard their

Well OP can choose to take the hijab off but she will face the repercussions later.

Seems to me like you'd get more progress in muslim dominated societies if you told your men to lower THEIR gazes and guard their own bloody private parts :rolleyes:

Also, juyoob is an awesome word for breasts.
I am not disrespecting you but, are you a Muslim and have you completely read and understood the whole Qur'an?

:lolwut: Did that have any bearing on what I just said? She is being oppressed; we live in a society where that is not permissible. Islam can command whatever it wants - but it is not above the law of this land. If she wants to take her headscarf off, she is clearly entitled to so do regardless of what you think. To suggest 'she is going to hell' for doing so is quite frankly immature and belongs to the ramblings of the 13th century Catholic church; I also find it slightly bizarre you are commending the actions of a verbally abusive mother.
So a month or so ago I stopped wearing the hijab as I realised I was wearing it for the wrong reasons (local community expectations rather than religion). Obviously my mum, a rather strict, traditional woman who can never be open to change, found out a few days ago as my brother, his friend and cousin (who'd attempted to blackmail me into doing favours for them in exchange for them keeping quiet, which I refused) saw me working without the hijab. She started crying about how what i was doing was wrong and how I was a slut/ non-Muslim piece of crap. The most hurtful thing she said to me was that I was absolutely nothing.

She then handed me the Qur'an and told me that if she ever heard about me not wearing the hijab ever again, I'd be kicked out.
I have nowhere to go if I am to be kicked out.
Now, every time I come back from a day/evening out, she always comments on whether I've "taken it off" or not. I ignored her, which annoys her a lot, but the lack of choice i have in making decisions about my own life as a 19 year old is so frustrating to deal with.

Just today, I came back from a day out and she was with her friend. I knew instantly she'd berate me for a lot of **** since she always shows off/acts up when in the company of her friends. Anyway, she asked again if I had "taken it off", and her friend giggled. It turns out that she's told nearly EVERYBODY that I've turned into a Khafir, and that I don't wear the hijab anymore. When I ignored her, she turned verbally abusive, demanding to have some of my money and then, when I refused, calling me an "ugly slut".

She seriously pisses me off so much but I have no one to talk to about this. I feel genuinely upset about now being forced to wear the headscarf when I simply don't want to.
I feel so alone. Is there anyone who can help?

Oh dear. I'm a muslim myself so I can relate. From what it sounds like, she's just very upset. I know it's difficult, but try explaining your perspective to her. Let her know that it's not that you don't believe in Islam (if that is the case of course), but you want to wear a hijab for the right reasons. I know she'll probably be as stubborn as hell, but give it some time and (hopefully) she'll come around.

Personally, my family is a little more relaxed and my parents know where I stand on hijab (I'm a bit like you in that I want to wear it for my own belief, not because others tell me to). But what a lot of Muslim parent-child relationships lack is communication. Your parents want what's best for you, which in their perspective is Islam (atheists relax, I am not saying it is what is right for her, but I'm just speaking from her parents viewpoint). Whenever my mum gets angry, she goes into a full blown fit - name calling included (most recently, I believe I was called a 'Donkey's ass' for spending a little too much...I kinda deserved it...) but whenever she cools down, try and explain. :smile: I know this can be hard, especially if your whole family is fully religious.

Good luck! :smile:
Apologies. I'm Somali, so I'm literally alone in this. no other Somali that I know of has done what I'm attempting to do.
I'm just entering my second year of uni, however my mum has forced me to stay at home and go to uni as well.
I also work part-time at River Island, and I'm hoping to save up.
But I'm scared. I really don't know how to explain it, but I'm scared of being alone.

Are you?! Same!! My sisters and I are the only ones, it seems. Try and talk to friends who will be supportive of you. I know it'll be hard talking to your mum (if I wear short tops and things my mum will rant at me in Somali :wink:), but it will be worthwhile in the end.
I understand. I am a Muslim. I have 1 sister. She is about to go to college ad my mum will never let her go to the college without her headscarf. In reality, you mum would not kick you out but not wearing a headscarf in not acceptable in Islam. You will see many Muslim women not wearing headscarf. You seriously need to know the reason of wearing a scarf. Wearing a headscarf should not be up to you, but up to the Islam. Islam teaches us respect and authority. You have to listen to your mum and do what she says to you. In Islam, disobeying your parents is strictly forbidden. However, the only reason you can disobey your parents is when they are stopping you from the prayer (namaz). In Qur'an, Allah mentioned in the Qur'an, "those who do not obey their parents, the door of the heaven is closed for them". So it means you have to listen to your mum if you do not want to enter the hell. In other words, Your parents want your safety, Hijab protects a women from wrong eye sights. It is also worn in the presence of males. The Qur'an does not mention hijab, but khimar. You can find out the difference between hijab and khimar. please check this. http://www.quran-islam.org/main_topics/misinterpreted_verses/khomoorehenna_(P1226).html

Right, because clearly what she needs from you right now is to piously preach at her. :rolleyes: She's unhappy and scared and grappling with her religious upbringing, how is guilting her out and saying she's going to go to hell going to reassure her in any way?

DarkParadise, I'm so sorry about what you're going through. The general consensus of the thread seems to be 'move out' but I understand the prospect of being disowned is not a happy one, and your mother seems indoctrinated enough that a reasoned discussion is not feasible. If I were you, I would wear the headscarf around her and lie low until I had enough money to get an apartment and get out of there. It's a horrible prospect, but staying in that environment is going to do you serious psychological damage.

If nothing else, constantly keep in mind that none of the insults your mother is saying is true. She's just angry that you're educated and intellectual enough to contradict the gaping plotholes in her world view - and that's not me being against religion, but the extent of her fundamentalism and blindness to logic and reason is dangerous and detrimental to both your life and hers. Well done for not falling into the same trap as your brother.
That a couple of people are trying to turn this into a conversion thread is disgusting. God or Allah or whatever higher deity you believe in doesn't condone bullying and taking advantage of vulnerable people to suit your twisted theistic demands.
She is not going to hell for not wearing a scarf, But for disobeying her mother. And please do not reply to me anymore. I am not disrespecting you at all. I appreciate your opinions and facts.

If my mother tells me to kill someone, I'm breaking a law of the Qur'an if I do and if I don't. What do I do in that situation?
Original post by ToLiveInADream
I can imagine how it'd be for her because the whole community will know about your situations and other Muslims instantly judge you when they see your wearing jeans. I'm 15 and I constantly get comments about wearing jeans at my age and how I should be more religious blah blah from random strangers. Muslim girls are basically the property of their father until they get married. Your parent's rules. I just thank that my parents let me make my own decisions and my freedom even though they are religious.

It sounds very difficult and there may be potential for things to escalate - if her mum is this strict then how long before she arranges a marriage?

That's why I think moving out should be a long term definite goal to aim for and I don't think she should stay in the immediate area because of the community when she does leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending