The Student Room Group

boyfriend's family making me doubt our relationship

my boyfriend is a great guy. However, I've never felt happy or comfortable when around his family.

Ever since I met them, they've been nothing but ignorant and awkward with me, not maiking me me feel welcome at all. They're so loud and in-your-face, iit makes me feel very uncomfortable. They don't seem to be like this with anyone but me.

It has got to the stage where I try to avoid going to his house (he lives with his mum). Its effecting how I view our relationship to the point that I've felt I can't be with him any more- which is crazy because he is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I love him to pieces, I just really don't like his family.
Original post by AB25
my boyfriend is a great guy. However, I've never felt happy or comfortable when around his family.

Ever since I met them, they've been nothing but ignorant and awkward with me, not maiking me me feel welcome at all. They're so loud and in-your-face, iit makes me feel very uncomfortable. They don't seem to be like this with anyone but me.

It has got to the stage where I try to avoid going to his house (he lives with his mum). Its effecting how I view our relationship to the point that I've felt I can't be with him any more- which is crazy because he is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I love him to pieces, I just really don't like his family.

I don't see why this is a problem. My boyfriend's family arent prticularly in love with me - they're traditional Muslims and aren't too thrilled about us. I'm just polite whenever I see them and avoid them

Why does it affect your relationship?
Original post by AB25

Yeah, I understand how you feel, I've felt like that. Have you talked to your boyfriend about how you feel?
Reply 3
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I don't see why this is a problem. My boyfriend's family arent prticularly in love with me - they're traditional Muslims and aren't too thrilled about us. I'm just polite whenever I see them and avoid them

Why does it affect your relationship?
because family is important to him. It's important to me too. I want to be accepted by his family because his family is obviously a huge part of his life.
Reply 4
Original post by beccagood95
Yeah, I understand how you feel, I've felt like that. Have you talked to your boyfriend about how you feel?
I don't feel I can tell him because he is very close to his family. The last thing I want to do is have him tell them I feel uncomfortable around them- how awkward would that be? :frown:
hi
Original post by AB25
I don't feel I can tell him because he is very close to his family. The last thing I want to do is have him tell them I feel uncomfortable around them- how awkward would that be? :frown:

But the thing is, sooner or later he's going to notice that you avoid going over, and that you don't look particularly comfortable with his family. And he'll start wondering why.
You just have to mention at a suitable time that you feel that his family hasn't quite warmed up to you yet so you don't really feel comfortable going over- but you would like to be able to get along with them.
He'll want you to get along with his family if he really does like you, so he'll try and help you out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending