The Student Room Group

why is virginity so important?

??

Scroll to see replies

It isn't intrinsically important; no one answer will be an objective account that says so.

That said, loving someone and being their only feels more special, and even 'clean', as far as I feel. Certainly desirable.
Its a big part of your innocence, your childhood. A lot of people I know have always felt that the person who took theirs (who they gave it to) will always hold a part of them, even if the person wasn't important to them at the time. Like you can date other people after and forget about them, but you never forget your first. I dont know why, its probably psychological.
(edited 10 years ago)
probably the result of our religious heritage, for centuries virginity was seen as something to be respected.
Because it's one of those things you can't undo, I suppose
Original post by Vashappeninkira
??

It is important to me because I want the first time to feel special especially as it will time I will not forget. I have been in a relationship recently but felt he was not "the one" to lose it to, if that makes sense. I want it to be with someone who I love deeply and that they feel the same. Sex can form a deep emotional connection and if it's with someone I didn't love, it could create a lot of problems and complications.
Original post by luckylaurax
It is important to me because I want the first time to feel special especially as it will time I will not forget. I have been in a relationship recently but felt he was not "the one" to lose it to, if that makes sense. I want it to be with someone who I love deeply and that they feel the same. Sex can form a deep emotional connection and if it's with someone I didn't love, it could create a lot of problems and complications.

thanks for your honesty
I get really angry with people who hold that virginity is some kind of sacred thing. I understand completely that some people want to make sure its special and meaningful, that's perfectly fine. But holding it up as this perfectly pure thing and criticising those who choose to have sex is not okay. I'm not suggesting people here are doing it but in my experiences people have said these things. Personally, I don't think virginity is anything meaningful, but I don't judge people who want to have sex or those who want to abstain.
??

Many people (Especially my mother) would be disgusted that I don't even know the name of the person I lost mine to. And no I wasn't drunk either. I guess people attach it to being in a relationship and being in love.
Reply 9
I think you're over-exaggerating it's importance.
Original post by SoftPunch
I think you're over-exaggerating it's importance.

No! It's meant to be an intimate experience to have somebody 'inside' you while being naked .
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
No! It's meant to be an intimate experience to have somebody 'inside' you while being naked .

That's an eye-opener :woo:
I wouldn't say it's important as such.. When I was younger I used to joke about waiting till I was married, but I've always wanted it to be with someone I care about and in a relationship with. I don't have to be deeply in love with them or whatever. I'm 24 now still haven't met anyone that fits the bill yet so still waiting. Isn't anything big to me, everyone else thinks its a great thing. I think I'm not getting any younger lol but holding on
Reply 13
It really isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be.
It's not that big a deal in all honesty.
I think it's attractive to some because it means the person is in some sense 'untouched'.
dunno.
Reply 17
??

Tight
It's not.
Next.
Probably because some people are nervous about 'losing it' therefore want to be with someone they feel comfortable with. Especially in womens case, considering it can be quite painful.

That, and religion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending