The Student Room Group

How to tell best mate about girlfriend

For a few weeks now I've been going out with a girl from uni, but haven't told my closest friend (who I've known pretty much my whole life, the sort of person I tell most stuff).

He's visititing us in a few weeks and I want to tell him that we're going out before he turns up, but I don't know how to tell him without bluntly stating it (which I don't want to do - will just seem odd).

I feel like I should have told him, and I keep trying to drop hints, mentioning her a lot etc. but I don't think he's taken any of it in. My friend knows her sort of (we've been in Skype conversations together etc.) so it'll be weird me suddenly stating that we've been going out for weeks without telling him.

This may sound really trivial (and the best option might just be to say that we've been going out for a couple of months now), but it's just been bugging me because I feel like I shouldn't have kept it from my friends back home (who I knew before uni) but I have done.
Reply 1
Hey mate, look, drop these kinda things like: Hey Bud, you shoulda seen this girl I met a while back :wink:. Stuff like this, showing that your doing things, and then after like 2 days say: Hey (Name), Mate! The craziest thing just happened! I asked this girl out! (or something like this.) And then funnest part, a while later, say: Buddeh! I just got back from a date, (or some other thing that has to do with her) and say, you really liked her, or think she's hot or something... Idk... :wink:

Btw - Im not sure about how close you know this guy, just costomize this, or make it different, but best is to just tell him already.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PatrickMath
Hey mate, look, drop these kinda things like: Hey Bud, you shoulda seen this girl I met a while back :wink:. Stuff like this, showing that your doing things, and then after like 2 days say: Hey (Name), Mate! The craziest thing just happened! I asked this girl out! (or something like this.) And then funnest part, a while later, say: Buddeh! I just got back from a date, (or some other thing that has to do with her) and say, you really liked her, or think she's hot or something... Idk... :wink:

Btw - Im not sure about how close you know this guy, just costomize this, or make it different, but best is to just tell him already.

I was thinking of just telling him like we've only been going out recently, but its been nearly two months now and I feel like that's just asking for awkwardness if one of them mentions it when he visits. I could honestly just be overthinking it and just need to tell him.
Reply 3
Original post by r10k12
I was thinking of just telling him like we've only been going out recently, but its been nearly two months now and I feel like that's just asking for awkwardness if one of them mentions it when he visits. I could honestly just be overthinking it and just need to tell him.

Best really, would just flat out say : Mate Im sorry as hell for not telling you before... but I've been going out with this Girl, (name) and I just thought you should know. Im sorry for not telling you b4 and etc..
Reply 4
Just tell him bro it's no big deal
Reply 5
What is the problem here? Just tell him.
Reply 6
I don't really see what the problem is... I kept my relationship on a strict need-to-know basis for the first few months because it really winds me up when people flaunt their new partner and act like they're going to be together forever and then break up after a few weeks. I would much rather make sure it's going to last, before I start introducing people.

Just tell him you wanted to keep it under wraps for until you were sure, but now you really want the two of them to get to know each other properly.
Reply 7
Original post by Plumstone
I don't really see what the problem is... I kept my relationship on a strict need-to-know basis for the first few months because it really winds me up when people flaunt their new partner and act like they're going to be together forever and then break up after a few weeks. I would much rather make sure it's going to last, before I start introducing people.

Just tell him you wanted to keep it under wraps for until you were sure, but now you really want the two of them to get to know each other properly.

Swes aint to be trusted though :P Us Brits are far more understated!
Reply 8
Original post by r10k12
For a few weeks now I've been going out with a girl from uni, but haven't told my closest friend (who I've known pretty much my whole life, the sort of person I tell most stuff).

He's visititing us in a few weeks and I want to tell him that we're going out before he turns up, but I don't know how to tell him without bluntly stating it (which I don't want to do - will just seem odd).

I feel like I should have told him, and I keep trying to drop hints, mentioning her a lot etc. but I don't think he's taken any of it in. My friend knows her sort of (we've been in Skype conversations together etc.) so it'll be weird me suddenly stating that we've been going out for weeks without telling him.

This may sound really trivial (and the best option might just be to say that we've been going out for a couple of months now), but it's just been bugging me because I feel like I shouldn't have kept it from my friends back home (who I knew before uni) but I have done.

In my opinion you're really over thinking this, just tell him that you are X are now together I don't see how you could offend him? Obviously you keep tings a secret for a little while but now's the time to tell.
Reply 9
Original post by samba
Swes aint to be trusted though :P Us Brits are far more understated!

I don't get it? I was born in England and have lived here all my life... How does that make me not British?

Neither was I saying that mine is the OP's only option, it was just a suggestion...
Reply 10
Original post by Plumstone
I don't get it? I was born in England and have lived here all my life... How does that make me not British?

Neither was I saying that mine is the OP's only option, it was just a suggestion...

Argh, was sarcasm/swedish injoke. Clearly sailed on by you :P I agree with you anyways, no point shouting from rooftops too early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending