The Student Room Group

Best friend didn't mention me in his 21st speech

As title says, best bud's 21st birthday party last night, and he gave the obligatory speech.
He said this quite touching stuff bout never having many friends as a kid (although hey dude I've been hanging out with you since Year 6?) and that all changing now, hence the great turn-out, 'I love you all!' shouts etc. :P
Except he was a little more explicit and he thanked all his old high school friends for turning up, his uni mates who could (and sorry to those who couldn't), his family and his new friends. I wasn't on the list.

I admit I could be overreacting being a bit hungover, but I am feeling a little rejected-especially because I got him 2 tickets for a stand-up gig tonight that cost a small fortune.
I should note the rest of the time he is a really good friend. In all honesty I don't know whether he sees me as his best friend anymore and he's nice to everyone, but he has stuck by me through some had times.
If your best friend did this would you be hurt or am I being pathetically oversensitive again?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Getting slightly more pathetic here but in a list of about 20 people he tagged on Facebook to say thanks for the party I was 18th
Reply 2
Have it out with him

Posted from TSR Mobile
He probably thought that you know how much you mean to him?
Try not to beat yourself (or him, or anything else, for that matter) up about it until you're feeling yourself again. People make some stupid decisions when drunk, and when grumpy and hungover.
Reply 5
Original post by Bridget Jones
He probably thought that you know how much you mean to him?

I'll be honest ever since I started being Mr Paranoid I didn't know how much he was just hanging out with me out of pity or something. Also his parents are family friends, as in his mum and dad are really close to my dad. I don't know. I know he wants to stay in touch but whether he still considers me as good a friend as I do him, idk
Give him a slap if it meant that much.
Reply 7
Original post by carrotstar
Try not to beat yourself (or him, or anything else, for that matter) up about it until you're feeling yourself again. People make some stupid decisions when drunk, and when grumpy and hungover.

Why's everyone assuming I'd confront him about it? :P I'm a lazy hungover fella :biggrin:
I agree with you, the beer's probably kicked my head into overdrive again as it does
Original post by Riku
I'll be honest ever since I started being Mr Paranoid I didn't know how much he was just hanging out with me out of pity or something. Also his parents are family friends, as in his mum and dad are really close to my dad. I don't know. I know he wants to stay in touch but whether he still considers me as good a friend as I do him, idk

Mm, talk to him?
Reply 9
You make these type of threads everyday! see you GP lol
Reply 10
Original post by Bridget Jones
Mm, talk to him?

Tempted to tonight but a) We're both wrecked from last night and only going because the gig'll be awesome and they won't change the day for us, b) don't want to make a meal out of it? I am terrible at blowing things out of proportion and getting the wrong end of the stick :P
Original post by Riku
Tempted to tonight but a) We're both wrecked from last night and only going because the gig'll be awesome and they won't change the day for us, b) don't want to make a meal out of it? I am terrible at blowing things out of proportion and getting the wrong end of the stick :P

Then, leave it and forget it! Simples.
Reply 12
Original post by HiWhatsup
You make these type of threads everyday! see you GP lol

Do I? I thought I make dodgy threads which make me sound like I've been brainwashed into the MRA everyday :P
I know I'm terrible at over thinking…this is my best friend from, well, playgroup tbh though :/
PS I like your name :biggrin:
Reply 13
I can only imagine how you'll feel if he gets engaged and he asks someone else to be his best man. It's just another of those awkward moments in life man, don't let it get to you.
Reply 14
Original post by howdoyoudo
im a big fan of your work man

No really, what 'work'? :s-smilie:
Are you telling me this thread reads like a troll thread?

Original post by Pride
I can only imagine how you'll feel if he gets engaged and he asks someone else to be his best man. It's just another of those awkward moments in life man, don't let it get to you.

Haha I'm already worrying about that :/
It's impossible not to let it get to me though. Either we're still good friends or he's just with me cos he felt sorry I was lonely, but doesn't like me that much anymore. This could be just me though, I'm a bit of a depressive especially when hungover/sleep-deprived like now!
It's this not knowing I hate, same with my ex, not knowing where things stand drives me round the bend
Reply 15
Original post by Simplythebest...
Give him a slap if it meant that much.

Well put it this way, it sounded like 'I would like to thank all my friends Bill, Jimmy, Russell, Boris, Kurt, Adolf…[sees me and kinda skims past] Josef…I LOVE YOU ALL!'

I am slightly exaggerating, he didn't read the entire guest-list
It won't hurt to ask him? :smile:
Reply 17
Either talk to him about it or mtfu.
No doubt youre going to say its not that simple due to "x/y/z".
Honestly, I dont know if youre currently in therapy or not but you need to get a handle on all your issues before they destroy EVERYTHING. People on all your threads post some really sound advice on how to help yourself, how to build confidence (which has an impact on anxiety), how to try and reduce over thinking, how to work on insecurities....you should try them.
If you keep trying to find fault with things, thats all youre going to find. The guy is your friend-stop at that point, dont continue with "well he did this or didnt do this", it takes practice to notice youre doing it and even more to stop doing it/just ignore the thoughts but you are going to destroy every and all relationships if you keep reading too much into them.
If mindfulness is something youve never done, have a look at it. It's actually really good (some of it) for helping with overthinking, depression and anxiety and all the thoughts that go with it-you need to put the work in though or it wont work.
Reply 18
Original post by Riku
As title says, best bud's 21st birthday party last night, and he gave the obligatory speech.
He said this quite touching stuff bout never having many friends as a kid (although hey dude I've been hanging out with you since Year 6?) and that all changing now, hence the great turn-out, 'I love you all!' shouts etc. :P
Except he was a little more explicit and he thanked all his old high school friends for turning up, his uni mates who could (and sorry to those who couldn't), his family and his new friends. I wasn't on the list.

I admit I could be overreacting being a bit hungover, but I am feeling a little rejected-especially because I got him 2 tickets for a stand-up gig tonight that cost a small fortune.
I should note the rest of the time he is a really good friend. In all honesty I don't know whether he sees me as his best friend anymore and he's nice to everyone, but he has stuck by me through some had times.
If your best friend did this would you be hurt or am I being pathetically oversensitive again?

If it's bothering you, and he's your best friend, then speak to him about it. It may be that he thinks it goes without saying, or that he just forgot. Equally, if there is a reason it's much better to know than spend your time wondering about it.
Reply 19
Original post by Nell90
Either talk to him about it or mtfu.
No doubt youre going to say its not that simple due to "x/y/z".
Honestly, I dont know if youre currently in therapy or not but you need to get a handle on all your issues before they destroy EVERYTHING. People on all your threads post some really sound advice on how to help yourself, how to build confidence (which has an impact on anxiety), how to try and reduce over thinking, how to work on insecurities....you should try them.
If you keep trying to find fault with things, thats all youre going to find. The guy is your friend-stop at that point, dont continue with "well he did this or didnt do this", it takes practice to notice youre doing it and even more to stop doing it/just ignore the thoughts but you are going to destroy every and all relationships if you keep reading too much into them.
If mindfulness is something youve never done, have a look at it. It's actually really good (some of it) for helping with overthinking, depression and anxiety and all the thoughts that go with it-you need to put the work in though or it wont work.

I kind of agree with you
and I've been trying mindfulness
obviously today being hungover isn't making that easy :-p

My questions are

1) does he still like me the way I'm there for him. Are we still in a bromance?
2) if not why? Is it my fault?
3) is it worth talking to him about it or is that going to make things worse?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending