The Student Room Group

Do universities contact previous institutions or the previous university?

I applied for an international master and i had to send my application. They were also asking me for a GPA certificate of my bachelor, which my university doesn't provide because no global average is recognised in my faculty.
Nevertheless, an average for every Year of major and minor does exist.
i there forse contacted the person in charge for the inscription and asked his personal advices.
He sais that those individual averages would be enough, and that a document explaining the situation would do.
I then prepared an official document, issued and certified by my faculty that a global average is not provider by their institution but that i was allowed to show the official documents.
I afterward attached those individual averages of the modules and personally explained the situation in a document once again, stating that unfortunately a global average or GPA was not provided by my faculty.
The problem is that those averages were only scanned photocopies (therefore b/w)...and my faculty declared that no further sustain Will be handed to me in this Matter.
I am very scared that The university I'm applying to Will contact my previous university.
Do universities contact previous institutions?
if they accept the documents i might be a good candidate for the places...whereas if they contacted my university they Will Never help me out, I know the faculty and i'll have a bad rejection.
Could you then Please answer to my question?
They can contact them if they wish - though they may or may not do so. It would be very churlish, however, of your university to refuse to confirm the details of your studies.
Reply 2
Presumably you have been asked to provide academic references from your undergraduate university. Could your referees give your results in their references?
Reply 3
This all sounds a bit odd to me tbh. Maybe I'm reading too much between the lines.

In any case: UK unis are well aware that not all countries provide overall classes or GPAs for degrees. That shouldn't be an issue, and your percentages as you have them should be enough. The uni you are applying to is far more likely to ask you to get the originals or certified copies of what you scanned and sent them, than contact the uni directly. As long as the original or certified copy matches what you have scanned them you should be ok.
Reply 4
Why would you be scared that they contact your previous university?

I doubt they will, it should be up to you to provide sufficient evidence if you fail to do so they won't chase it.
Reply 5
It's because i have already had lots of problems with a former application..my university refused to give an attestation for the average (in fact they don't recognize a global average neither for undergraduate nor for master studies). Moreover i actually finished with a good average but since they didn't want to give me any kind of average certification i have already been rejected from two unis (which had as main requirement to present the final average...). Now i convinced them to let me use the averages (generated on our university private students page) for the major and the two minors as printouts, they made me an official certification which says i am allowed to use them BUT no average is to be considered official (the universities can just use them to assess my performances) and they furthermore told me that if contacted they are going to kindly answer that this is none of their business.
Until now most of the programs I'm applying to demand a GPA or average document and this situation makes me nervous. Now i started applying to other masters which may be of a lower level but at least i don't have to fight insane battles to complete my application :-)
Reply 6
But this is bizarre. Surely you have a transcript with all the grades for the courses you have done? That should be sufficient for uni applications.
My university also doesn't provide any kind of average. I just calculated a weighted average myself (in percentage), and sent them an official transcript with no average. They (Imperial) were fine with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending