The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Quite possibly, it would depend on a strong personal statement etc, one more A would definately have helped you though. Anyone else got any idea on the offers given?
Manchesters standard offer is AAA.
Your results should still be ok. Its still possible that your referees would state that you are on course for AAA despite these results.
Manchester places quite a high emphasis on GCSE results as well, so if you have a good performance there, then you should be fine.
Reply 3
Superdillon;s right.

They will offer AAA at the more reputable unis, and so AABB at AS is fine for this. Just make sure youre predcted AAA!
I dont think many law schools actually offer AAA but in order to get the offer in the first place you practically have to be predicted AAA, for instance as far as I am aware everyone on here assumes Nottm is AAA, but its still AAB, still ... since you need good LNAT etc they might as well just make it AAA as you probably need that to get the offer.
Reply 5
Lewis-HuStuJCR
I dont think many law schools actually offer AAA but in order to get the offer in the first place you practically have to be predicted AAA, for instance as far as I am aware everyone on here assumes Nottm is AAA, but its still AAB, still ... since you need good LNAT etc they might as well just make it AAA as you probably need that to get the offer.

Nottinghams standard offer is AAA for UK applicants, it was stated in prospectus as well. I got an offer of AAA as did many of my friends. Only KCL & Bristol offer AAB, all other quality law schools have a standard offer of AAA!
Reply 6
Lewis-HuStuJCR

Eh?
I think it's fair to say MOST top Law schools in the UK's offer is AAA, with Kings being one of the only exceptions. Look at the Sticky in this forum on requirements.

As an example - both Exeter and Southampton - top 20 but not top 5 - standard offer = AAA (which is ridiculous)
Reply 7
Manchester's standard offer is AAA...but they had offered me a BBB. LSE is a top Law school in UK, but i know a couple of ppl who were offered AAB. Durham lower offers too. Lets just say, if you wanna get into a top law school...make sure you are capable of getting AAA...unis will lower offers depending on how good your application is..personal statement, AS grades, predicted grades, I/GCSEs, LNAT, and also very importantly how strong the competition for places is dat year. But wit AABB for AS, dats a good foundation for an overall AAA
BBB ... sweet. Has everyone heard that the govt is considering an A* grade at A-level ... thing is, why not just make an A harder to get than introducing an A*. Oh wait, why dont we make an A a fail and then a certain number of *s shows how good, that way everyone has straight As!! Equality all the way. I have this crap, not letting people feel like failures.
Reply 9
Nah, I totally agree with A* idea. It should be something like 95%+, and it should be a grade that is very very rare and extremely difficult to achieve. But what is mostly likely to happen is they will make it slightly easier to achieve an A* because it looks good.
Or they could just make an A at 90% and make them rarer cos so many get them... if they just made it harder it would be so much fairer. Instead they will add an extra grade so that more ppl still have As, I hate this kind of theory in society ... it makes too many people feel they are better tahn they are and to disillusion ppl in this way is not far. Especially at GCSE level, too many ppl stay to do a levels then do dreadfully, and too many ppl go to uni with like CCC or something and come out with a degree and have the same job they could have had without 3 yrs worth of debts, but thast a personal thing. Personally I believe tuition fees cutting down clearing apps is a good thing, as if I was going to do law or something I would be willing to pay, but if I was going to do soemthing worthless I certainly would not ... makes ppl think more about uni rather than just saiyng "oh wow, its cheap... I might as well waste 3 years of my life and come out with load of debt and do a job I dont need a degree for ". 25% (official figure from a survey) of graduates are doing a job not requiring a degree atm, nuff said i think.
Reply 11
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Or they could just make an A at 90% and make them rarer cos so many get them... if they just made it harder it would be so much fairer. Instead they will add an extra grade so that more ppl still have As, I hate this kind of theory in society ... it makes too many people feel they are better tahn they are and to disillusion ppl in this way is not far. Especially at GCSE level, too many ppl stay to do a levels then do dreadfully, and too many ppl go to uni with like CCC or something and come out with a degree and have the same job they could have had without 3 yrs worth of debts, but thast a personal thing. Personally I believe tuition fees cutting down clearing apps is a good thing, as if I was going to do law or something I would be willing to pay, but if I was going to do soemthing worthless I certainly would not ... makes ppl think more about uni rather than just saiyng "oh wow, its cheap... I might as well waste 3 years of my life and come out with load of debt and do a job I dont need a degree for ". 25% (official figure from a survey) of graduates are doing a job not requiring a degree atm, nuff said i think.

:congrats:
For GCSE grades are the following grade boundaries right..

A* 90%
A 80%
B 70%
C 60%
... etc

What are the equivalent boundaries for A-levels?
Reply 13
superdillon
For GCSE grades are the following grade boundaries right..

A* 90%
A 80%
B 70%
C 60%
... etc

What are the equivalent boundaries for A-levels?

I think its pretty much the same, except there is no A*. So like anything above 80%ish and you've got your A.
A 80% (but its too easy, for instance in maths when I did it pure maths was P1-3 but now they have split it up and made it C1-4, so now its 4 modules instead of 3 so you do less maths!!)

the rest i dont know, cos i only ever paid attention. Im not suggesting moving the grade boundaries, but my dad was telling me what they used to do in science a-levels and it was so much more advanced than what I was doing. He only has BCC for a-levels but back in those days that was amazing, and he got a first class from manchester in Biology and Chemistry, and has a Ph. D from aberdeen in botany, so thats how much harder they were in those days. Only one person in his grammar school got an A, thats another good system, the grammar school system. Its not discriminatory, its just facts of life that certain types of people should be taught different stuff, some people dont benefit from academically focused subjects. The problem was the 11+, its just dodgy and ppl failed it who shouldnt have done. However the govt wont reintroduce it as it is "discriminatory", but why send so many to uni and boast about it if, as pointed out above, it does them no good? Finally, the govt has proposed abolishing setting of students in schools cos its discriminatory, frankly I find this disgusting. Such equality will be the downing of our society.
Reply 15
I agree, A levels are too easy for this day and age. But I think its abosolute non-sense that A levels are getting easier. People are much more focused now, teaching is miles better...and generally people now tend to value education much more.
Loafer
I agree, A levels are too easy for this day and age. But I think its abosolute non-sense that A levels are getting easier. People are much more focused now, teaching is miles better...and generally people now tend to value education much more.

Also, you can re-take modules bit-by-bit slowly getting to where you want to be.
Lies, they must be getting easier ... why else would top grades be BCC in those days? Not as quickly as the media are keen to suggest, but there can be no doubt that the content is being "dumbed down". But yea, ppl are more focused etc no diggedy, but they are easier.

unlimited resits are also a dreadful idea. at uni you can resit, but only pass ... your original fail mark is still factored into your average, not your new mark ... so dont come to uni thinking you can do that after first year!
Reply 18
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Lies, they must be getting easier ... why else would top grades be BCC in those days?

It seems odd that someone who has not taken 'old' exams and 'newer' exams can make the distinction that one is easier than the other.

I have no idea - because I have NEVER taken the exams that were apparently harder. Suggesting that because grades were lower - the exams must be harder is a ridiculous conclusion. Loafer has already highlighted several reasons as to why grades may be higher.

NB. I am not saying that exams are not easier than they were, I am merely saying that we are not in the position to know and that higher grades does not neccessarily indicate easier exams.

I COMPLETELY agree with your view on resits. I think it's ridiculous that a person, on paper (to universities), can seem on equal par after 3 resits to a person who did the exact same thing on the first sitting.
Exams are of roughly the same standard as they were 'back then'. People that sat the exams back then and are involved in education: teachers etc, say so.
I think that the better performance of students is explained by all the things stated above.
Teaching has got better. Students are more receptive to teaching. Past-papers complete with examiners reports and mark schemes are available widely. You can be much better taught for a particular exam these days than you could 'back then'. You have the opportunity to do re-sits till you die etc etc

Latest

Trending

Trending