The Student Room Group

''like a girl'' is not insulting to girls

You know, run like a girl, throw like a girl, fight like a girl etc... It's insulting to a guy but why would it be to a girl? Girls do these things the way they do them, it's their natural state so why would it be insulting? They are negative for a man because if you do all those things like a girl you'll lose the race, the cricket/baseball game or the fight when competing against other guys.

Scroll to see replies

Girls needs to need to get back to the kitchen and childbearing instead of ranting about a innocous phrase
It's the idea that making comments leads to people conforming to those expectations. So throwing like a girl results in girls throwing worse.

As an example, when taking a maths test, if black test takers are asked to write their ethnicity on the paper they'll perform significantly worse than other black test takers who don't. Or, if Chinese test takers write their ethnicity they perform much better than Chinese candidates who didn't.

It's tangible and scientifically validated, not sure what your issue with it is. :dontknow: There might be physical differences but what reason is there to exacerbate them with social stigma?
Reply 3
Throwing like a girl is actually a real phenomenon. Even in pre-pubescent children boys throw harder and faster than girls who are often bigger at that stage. Think it's something to do with the relative length of the radial bone that allows boys generate more whip. That's hardly the point

Getting back to the video- of course we shouldn't use "like a girl" to try to humiliate people. However I'm a bit uneasy with Proctor and Gamble taking the moral high ground on any issue. Like any big conglomerate their hands aren't exactly clean. At the end of the day this is a shameless marketing ploy.
Original post by DK_Tipp

At the end of the day this is a shameless marketing ploy.

Haven't seen the video but would be inclined to agree :redface:
I've seen girls throw a ball harder and faster than any guy in this forum.
Reply 6
Original post by cole-slaw
I've seen girls throw a ball harder and faster than any guy in this forum.

Not than me I guarantee it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
Not than me I guarantee it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which MLB team do you pitch for?
There are far more important things to be concerned with than being told you "throw like a girl" imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got that video shown to me in assembly, I guess it's because when people say 'run like a girl' I'm pretty sure no girl runs like that but tbh don't really care
Reply 10
Original post by cole-slaw
Which MLB team do you pitch for?

Somerset CCC

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can't be serious. How stupid can one person be?
The fact that men are offended when being compared to a woman is offensive to women. Why is being like a woman a bad thing?

Please don't embarrass yourself with these questions in future and use google.
Thanks.
OP posts an average 1,000 threads per day about women / feminism / man hating bitches...
Reply 13
Original post by ldsbabe
The fact that men are offended when being compared to a woman is offensive to women. Why is being like a woman a bad thing?

Thanks.

Women are weaker, slower and worse at throwing than men, that's why it's an insult. You are compared to someone who is inferior at those things. Not to mention the way they fight with their little windmills and hair pulling. Actually that's kind of funny.
Reply 14
So if a woman says to another woman "you look like a man" should men be offended? You people piss me off I swear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ldsbabe

Thanks.

Being like a woman when it comes to sport is a bad thing.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Being like a woman when it comes to sport is a bad thing.

What a moron.
I understand the physical differences between women and men.
I will literally bet everything I own that you personally are not better than the women who are at the top of their game in the sporting world.
Original post by FKLW
Somerset CCC

That's a cricket team, which player are you then?
Original post by ldsbabe
What a moron.
I understand the physical differences between women and men.
I will literally bet everything I own that you personally are not better than the women who are at the top of their game in the sporting world.

No need to be rude is there.

Why compare some random guy on the internet to the best women in the world? Compare the equivalent standards and men are better. The average man is better than the average woman, so saying to the average man that he throws like a girl is an insult, as most girls will throw worse than him.

Obviously if you say "you run like Jessica Ennis" then that's not an insult. But I'm pretty sure no one says that.
Original post by StevieA
Women are weaker, slower and worse at throwing than men, that's why it's an insult. You are compared to someone who is inferior at those things. Not to mention the way they fight with their little windmills and hair pulling. Actually that's kind of funny.

Some women are, some women aren't.

Would you say "you do maths like a black person"?

Actually, you probably would.

Quick Reply

Latest