Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished school, having applied for astronomy courses at various universities, but only ending up with one offer that I didn't particularly want to take. I took art up until Higher level, but despite doing well in the written and expressive areas of the course, I dropped it in 6th year after my whole class received Bs or lower at Higher due to inadequate teaching. I also got a B in the Higher Physics exam, and my appeal for an A was unsuccessful. I got As in all my other Highers and have been predicted all As for this year's exams (AH maths, physics and mechanics, and higher chemistry), but I don't have the results yet. I won the school Higher Chemistry prize this year and was pooled after interview for Natural Sciences at Cambridge, so I must have some aptitude for science, but again, I don't have the interview feedback yet. What's causing me to have doubts is that I'm in the middle of a 2-month project, working with a lecturer at my local university, and perhaps it's because the project is in an area of science that doesn't interest me very much (I didn't really have a choice with this), but I'm finding it incredibly dull. I have no room for thinking outside the box. It's all very methodical. That was exactly what I wanted at the end of last year - definite right or wrong answers - due to a particularly stressful few months in art, but now I want the opposite. I'm taking a gap year, but I don't have much time to think, because if I'm going to take another shot at Cambridge then I'll have to apply by October. I've also applied to spend a year in industry, which would be physics-related. I do have close relatives in the arts, but I don't want to ask them for advice just yet.

A very close friend of mine says that these doubts are normal for creative people, but I'm not getting anywhere with the decision-making. Part of me thinks I should wait and let my grades tell me what to do, because if I'm getting Bs at Advanced Higher then that's probably an indicator that I've chosen the wrong career path. Ideally, I'd apply mostly for astronomy courses and then have one or two art courses as a backup, but therein lies the problem of personal statement writing. In ten years' time I'd like to be touring with my band, but I can't exactly take a university course in that.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi Blazar!

Moving this into the UCAS and applications forum for you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.