The Student Room Group

Stupid And Scared

Hi.
Im a little nervous at writing this thread but hope i can get a little advice.

I returned from turkey on july 21st. While being over there on my last nite i had a stupid one night stand with a waiter from my hotel. It was protected all the way until the end when for some reason he took it off because he was having problems with it. And being drunk stupid and in the moment i didnt even think.

2 weeks after i came home i went to the health clinic and had a STI test they came back negative. Today august 18th im due to have my blood test for HIV etc. Its been a month. I know i have to have it retested at the 3 month mark. Im going crazy with worry. I know how stupid i was. Im paying for it everday.
Hope i can get some.advice. anyone been in this situation or similar?
Thanks x
You don't really need to retest after three months - modern HIV tests are highly reliable after one month.

Given that everything else came back ok, it's very probable that this is going to be ok too. Even if he had HIV, the low risk of getting it from a single incidence of vaginal sex is 'about' one in two thousand - it's higher for anal, but I am making some assumptions about your gender and the sort of sex you're talking about.

It's not impossible that he's going 'Oh no, what did I do with that tourist?!? I hope the test is ok...'
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply.

Had my bloods done. Will find out tomorrow. Just the waiting game now :-/ x
Must be stressful for you, but hopefully it's a harmless learning experience. Fingers crossed for you, let us know the result!:hugs:
Reply 4
Original post by Plumstone
Must be stressful for you, but hopefully it's a harmless learning experience. Fingers crossed for you, let us know the result!:hugs:

Very stressfull. I really do feel so stupid x
Reply 5
I don't have any advice sorry, but fingers crossed for you! We all make silly mistakes (particularly when there's alcohol involved), I know I've made my fair share!
Reply 6
Original post by Lindyboo
I don't have any advice sorry, but fingers crossed for you! We all make silly mistakes (particularly when there's alcohol involved), I know I've made my fair share!

Yeah your right there we do. Its horrible and an agonising wait for my results to. Feel like im going out of my mind. X
Reply 7
Bloods results back. All negative. Thankyou everyone x x
Dear Anonymous
Try not to worry. You are very sensible to have a test but you are very unlikely to have contracted HIV. HIV is actually not a very contagious virus and you would be extremely unlucky to contract it after one exposure.
Best of luck.
I'm so pleased for you! That's really good news :smile:
Original post by Plumstone
I'm so pleased for you! That's really good news :smile:

Hi. I had a test at 4 week 1 day it was negative and then another at 6 week 3 days that was negative too. They where 4th generation tests. Do you think i will be ok? Ive got really bad anxiety n still freaking a little at every little thing. Im 8 weeks post exposure now.x
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. I had a test at 4 week 1 day it was negative and then another at 6 week 3 days that was negative too. They where 4th generation tests. Do you think i will be ok? Ive got really bad anxiety n still freaking a little at every little thing. Im 8 weeks post exposure now.x

The medical professionals are the only ones who can tell you whether you have contracted HIV or not.

If you're unlucky, then one exposure is enough to contract the virus, which is why it's so important to protect yourself, but the probability of getting HIV under the circumstances you describe is very, very low.

If the tests say you're clear, then you're probably clear.
With two negative tests from what was a one-off low risk event, what would it take you to believe that you're HIV-?

Quick Reply

Latest