The Student Room Group

Hong Kong (Non-JUPAS) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by clh_hilary
I really don't know. What harm would that do if you just apply to everywhere? Considering the fact that there will be interviews, I don't think your grades will be the be-all, end-all for admission.

There are no official figures on non-JUPAS discipline-specific admission scores, so any information you will hear will not be representative of it all, especially when you throw into all the uncertainties and variation year on year.

The only reference you can read would be the JUPAS scores with HKDSE, but there's no actual comparison. For HKU, MBBS took pupils with at least an averaged 5*-5** in the best 5 subjects. A 5* is an A* in GCE a-level, suggesting that the equivalent would theoretically be something better than 5 A*s (and that's the lowest score). For CUHK, the lower quartile is an averaged 5-5* (=A-A*). I cannot imagine them giving out A*A*A* as the condition however, so probably won't be as high as that.

So it would be worth applying then. I just feel that the only reason I couldn't do medicine in the UK is because I messed up chemistry at AS. I hope A*AC will be enough for them to at least consider my application. Are there any figures on how many applicants CUHK receive for each international space they have?
Original post by HKINUK
So it would be worth applying then. I just feel that the only reason I couldn't do medicine in the UK is because I messed up chemistry at AS. I hope A*AC will be enough for them to at least consider my application. Are there any figures on how many applicants CUHK receive for each international space they have?

I don't know, but I heard they take a lot more non-JUPAS than HKU does. They also hold lower standards so easier to graduate.
Reply 22
I don't know, but I heard they take a lot more non-JUPAS than HKU does. They also hold lower standards so easier to graduate.

Are there any other universities in Hong Kong that offer medicine? I only know of HKU and CUHK
Original post by HKINUK
Are there any other universities in Hong Kong that offer medicine? I only know of HKU and CUHK

Hong Kong Baptist University does Chinese medicine, if you count that.
Reply 24
Hong Kong Baptist University does Chinese medicine, if you count that.

No... That's not really medicine
Original post by HKINUK
No... That's not really medicine

So HKU and CUHK are your only choices. If you'd also consider dentistry, HKU also does that.
Reply 26
So HKU and CUHK are your only choices. If you'd also consider dentistry, HKU also does that.

I don't mind dentistry but can I apply for both Medicine and Dentistry at HKU? Also, does any other University do dentistry in hong Kong?
Original post by HKINUK
I don't mind dentistry but can I apply for both Medicine and Dentistry at HKU? Also, does any other University do dentistry in hong Kong?

I don't know.

No.
Reply 28
Original post by HKINUK

Yes you can apply to both, you can choose up to 3 programmes in HKU but they see your priorities. The problem is that Dentistry is very competitive so placing it as a 2nd choice might not give you a high chance. However there's no harm in trying.

Nope. Only HKU offers BDS, as far as I know.
Reply 29
Just to let you know Medicine in HKU is very very competitive.If you chech the website the minimum requirements for Medicine in HKU is ver high.Even 4A* in GCE is not enough.So they might not even consider you for application.CUHK is less competitive than HKU but still enough.Forgive me if I am too harsh.And by the I am frm Bangladesh and have done A levels too.I will be applying in HKUST and HKU ENGINEERING.
Reply 30
Original post by HKINUK

Just to let you know Medicine in HKU is very very
competitive.If you chech the website the minimum
requirements for Medicine in HKU is ver high.Even
4A* in GCE is not enough.So they might not even
consider you for application.CUHK is less
competitive than HKU but still enough.Forgive me
if I am too harsh.And by the I am frm Bangladesh
and have done A levels too.I will be applying in
HKUST and HKU ENGINEERING.
Reply 31
Hi I am currently studying Y13 in the UK and would like to take nursing at HKU/CUHK/PolyU. Do anyone know what offer will they give and the entrance requirements of nursing?
Original post by lhcyuco
Hi I am currently studying Y13 in the UK and would like to take nursing at HKU/CUHK/PolyU. Do anyone know what offer will they give and the entrance requirements of nursing?

Probably not high.. I don't think polyu has specific A levels requirement, but do check cuhk and hku, their entry requirements are all written in their website.
Reply 33
Hi, I am applying for CUHK and HKU Medicine. Does anyone know if CUHK accepts advance offer applications for medicine? Also, when do interviews take place for advance offers? Thanks.
Original post by premed
Hi, I am applying for CUHK and HKU Medicine. Does anyone know if CUHK accepts advance offer applications for medicine? Also, when do interviews take place for advance offers? Thanks.

Yes both HKU and CUHK offers fast track, which means you'll know whether or not u can get an offer by Jan the latest. If your early application is unsuccessful then it will automatically go to the main round. If you do get interview, then it will probably around december? Not too sure.
Original post by lhcyuco

I don't really know but nursing in Hong Kong has one of the lowest admission scores in general.
UK student here, just sent my UCAS recently and now applying to HKU to read medicine. I wish everyone luck with their application! I'm wondering what difference does it make if you apply for fast track instead of the main track?
Btw my stats are:
GCSE-10A*B
AS-AAAAA(bio,chem,phy,maths,chinese) B(general studies)
A2-A in maths, will be retaking C4 as I am only 1UMS off an A*
A2 predictions - A*A*AA
not brilliant enough for HKU sadly :frown: but we'll see how it goes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by claratiara
Yes both HKU and CUHK offers fast track, which means you'll know whether or not u can get an offer by Jan the latest. If your early application is unsuccessful then it will automatically go to the main round. If you do get interview, then it will probably around december? Not too sure.

Thanks! Anyone here applying to CUHK/ HKU medicine via fast track?
Original post by premed
Thanks! Anyone here applying to CUHK/ HKU medicine via fast track?

Me LOL
Reply 39
Original post by claratiara
Me LOL

are you a degree holder?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending