The Student Room Group

Problems with tampons

So, basically I can't insert a tampon. It stings, and I really can't get it in very far at all. I don't know why? I'm 19, a virgin, and have tried tampons a few times in my life but always end up giving up :frown:
Thanks!
I remember having this problem, one of the worst things for a girl I would say haha. Have you tried tampax tampons with applicators? These are the only ones I feel comfortable using. You can get them from Asda or any local supermarket. Also using a mirror can help as guidance and then just go with it, relax. :smile:
Have you tried using lubricant?
Can you comfortably insert a finger(s) this is a good start, your hymen may need stretching a little.
Reply 3
I had the same problem. I went to the doctor who examined me and said everything was normal and to try ones with an applicator, she recommended tampax pearl. Sometimes it still hurts if I'm not relaxed or don't get the angle right though.
Original post by Anonymous
So, basically I can't insert a tampon. It stings, and I really can't get it in very far at all. I don't know why? I'm 19, a virgin, and have tried tampons a few times in my life but always end up giving up :frown:
Thanks!

Definatley try when relaxed and in the heaviest part of your period, this makes it easier to try and insert one on your first go. Also, try to use one with an applicator and, I know it sounds silly, but read the instructions! When I was 13 I tried to insert one and it didnt work and I got really upset, but after spending time on my own with privacy in the bathroom I managed to do it and have worn them ever since :smile:

You can try the pearl ones as they have a smooth applicator, but it is a slightly funny shape. Or you could try the normal original ones that are less smooth but a smaller cylindrical shape. I would recommend trying the 'light' versions first, they are smaller :smile: They are usually in the purple coloured boxes!
Reply 5
Original post by jenniebees
Definatley try when relaxed and in the heaviest part of your period, this makes it easier to try and insert one on your first go. Also, try to use one with an applicator and, I know it sounds silly, but read the instructions! When I was 13 I tried to insert one and it didnt work and I got really upset, but after spending time on my own with privacy in the bathroom I managed to do it and have worn them ever since :smile:

You can try the pearl ones as they have a smooth applicator, but it is a slightly funny shape. Or you could try the normal original ones that are less smooth but a smaller cylindrical shape. I would recommend trying the 'light' versions first, they are smaller :smile: They are usually in the purple coloured boxes!

Yeah I'd agree about trying the light ones first. I can only use them or the regular size, the others are too uncomfortable.
It's been said above, but definitely use the lightest ones first, and use applicators. Tampons, for me anyway, are hell to insert if I don't use an applicator, but with an applicator it's really easy. Try to relax as much as possible too, it really isn't as bad as you'd think. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest