The Student Room Group

Will I flag up UCAS plagiarism software?

When I was writing my statement my sister was giving me advice and as a consequence I used one of the cases (degree=law) she also used in her statement last year. I wrote and did further research on the case all myself without help but reading hers now I see that one line is slightly similar. It contains 3 of the same words (not ones which would be seen in many statements) but not in the same order. This is not surprising considering we were talking about the same thing. Can their software differentiate between more complex and less complex words?

I'm probably worrying for nothing but is that enough to flag anything up?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by zimbo97
When I was writing my statement my sister was giving me advice and as a consequence I used one of the cases (degree=law) she also used in her statement last year. I wrote and did further research on the case all myself without help but reading hers now I see that one line is slightly similar. It contains 3 of the same words (perpetrators, Libya and inviolable) but not in the same order. This is not surprising considering we were talking about the same thing.

I'm probably worrying for nothing but is that enough to flag anything up?

Have you submitted your application yet? It should say just before/after you do that there has or hasn't been any evidence of plagiarism.
Reply 2
Original post by Mazzini
Have you submitted your application yet? It should say just before/after you do that there has or hasn't been any evidence of plagiarism.

I've sent it off to my referee, but it hasn't gone to UCAS yet. I wasnt aware that that happened, I thought the notification would come much later.

I think I'm worrying for nothing, really its a tiny detail and I think the UCAS checker is exaggerated anyway. I wonder what the % similarity would have to be to flag up...I heard someone say they had a '47% match' on their statement...does that mean that 47% was the same as someone else's or is it more of an arbitrary measurement?
If every personal statement that had copied lines of text flagged up, you would have to exclude half of all UCAS applications submitted.

I wouldn't worry about it, people use famous quotes all the time. Regardless it would have to be a significant promotion of your P.S i.e. over 25%.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending