The Student Room Group

fitness in the forces !

So I'm trying to get fit so I can join the army/RAF but I just can't seem to do much using upper body strength! I have been using the 100% army fit app and am on level 3 now where the press up stage has gotten harder (past 2 stages was on the knees) now I have to do the full press up and I know that's what I'd have to do for the fitness test and when ur actually doing basic training. So anyone got any tips or advice on how I can build up my fitness and do a proper press up?( I actually shake just holding the press up position then when I try to go down my body just collapses, if u get me?)
Reply 1
Do more.

Sounds silly and obvious, but there's no secret to it. Hard work and practise. Start with a couple, build to a lot. No shortcut to be had.
Reply 2
Get yourself in the gym, lift some weights and do some chest exercises to build your muscles. Sounds funny but I used to combine that with doing press ups on the stairs ha! Standing at the bottom & placing your hands infront on the steps & do as many as you can. I could only do 5 full press ups at the beginning & now I can do about 20 in a minute. Takes time, but it will be worth it when you smash your fitness test. Keep practising & good luck!
Get one of the press-up apps for your phone. You can get ones that take you from barely being able to do any to being able to do lots over about 9 weeks or so. It's hard work, but you'll get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Rach7584
Get yourself in the gym, lift some weights and do some chest exercises to build your muscles. Sounds funny but I used to combine that with doing press ups on the stairs ha! Standing at the bottom & placing your hands infront on the steps & do as many as you can. I could only do 5 full press ups at the beginning & now I can do about 20 in a minute. Takes time, but it will be worth it when you smash your fitness test. Keep practising & good luck!

That's great, glad to know I'm not the only one that's been in this position, really hope I'll be able to do them, thanks ! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by cheesypieces
Get one of the press-up apps for your phone. You can get ones that take you from barely being able to do any to being able to do lots over about 9 weeks or so. It's hard work, but you'll get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK I'll try that thanks ! Do u know any particular ones I should download ?
Reply 6
I'm going to be brutally honest, just do press ups if you want to be able to do them. I could barely lift my own weight before I joined the RAF and now I'm doing 65 diamond press ups in a minute now. Just practice. Do 5, let your body rest for a day and repeat 3 times over (ie 6 days), then increase your reps by 3 and do another 6 days. You can't just go down the gym and bulk up unless you know what you're doing, know what muscle groups you need to target and then how to allow your body to increase muscle mass. It takes time.
Reply 7
Original post by Dagowly
I'm going to be brutally honest, just do press ups if you want to be able to do them. I could barely lift my own weight before I joined the RAF and now I'm doing 65 diamond press ups in a minute now. Just practice. Do 5, let your body rest for a day and repeat 3 times over (ie 6 days), then increase your reps by 3 and do another 6 days. You can't just go down the gym and bulk up unless you know what you're doing, know what muscle groups you need to target and then how to allow your body to increase muscle mass. It takes time.

Thanks ! I've been building up now and trying to do ones against the wall and on my knees I still can't do a full normal press up but I'm sure with practice I'll get there :smile: can I ask what role are u doing in the RAF ? I have applied for all 3 - the army, navy and RAF and the navy were the only ones to get back to me and said I have to lose 3-5 kg to be accepted because my bmi is in the overweight range so they've withdrawn my application until I lose the weight. But I'll have to get my fitness up before I even think about it because I just rushed into everything and now realise I'm definitely not prepared yet! I'll get there one day I hope :biggrin:
Original post by hezzak
So I'm trying to get fit so I can join the army/RAF but I just can't seem to do much using upper body strength! I have been using the 100% army fit app and am on level 3 now where the press up stage has gotten harder (past 2 stages was on the knees) now I have to do the full press up and I know that's what I'd have to do for the fitness test and when ur actually doing basic training. So anyone got any tips or advice on how I can build up my fitness and do a proper press up?( I actually shake just holding the press up position then when I try to go down my body just collapses, if u get me?)

Circuit training will help - have you heard of the insanity workout? You can do it in your bedroom and you will lose weight/increase your fitness if you dedicate yourself to it.
Reply 9
Original post by unruly1986
Circuit training will help - have you heard of the insanity workout? You can do it in your bedroom and you will lose weight/increase your fitness if you dedicate yourself to it.

Yes I've heard of it but never done it, it's something I can try out though, thanks :smile: are u in the armed forces ? Just wondering if u could answer a question please? Do you know what counts as a pass for the press ups? Like do u have to get your chest right down coz I find the press ups so difficult !
Original post by hezzak
Yes I've heard of it but never done it, it's something I can try out though, thanks :smile: are u in the armed forces ? Just wondering if u could answer a question please? Do you know what counts as a pass for the press ups? Like do u have to get your chest right down coz I find the press ups so difficult !

I am, yes. Train to do them the hardest way, i.e. chest to the floor. Start with one. Build up from there daily. As someone else mentioned, get the 100 pushup app for your phone, you will be smashing them out in no time.
Reply 11
Original post by unruly1986
I am, yes. Train to do them the hardest way, i.e. chest to the floor. Start with one. Build up from there daily. As someone else mentioned, get the 100 pushup app for your phone, you will be smashing them out in no time.

Brilliant thanks ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest