The Student Room Group

No one to live with in second year

I've assumed from the beginning that id live with my current flatmates. I was particularly close to one of them and they often spoke about the house we'd get etc. but they've now turned round and said they're living with other people so I'm a bit stuck to what else to do. My course mates already have other plans sorted/live at home. Ideally I want to move into a house, not halls- but I'm worried about moving by myself again and also haven't been able to find many houses where this would be possible. Is it because it's too early? :/ does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
Just join facebook pages for your uni because sometimes people need an extra person to live in their house and they post... That extra person could be you!
I know - This happened to a girl on my course - the exact same thing
If you have the opportunity to stay in halls, you should - I'm only allowed to stay in the first year - it's £150 per week and there's 24 hour security and I'm literally so close to everything (I'm in Canterbury).
Similarly, look for house shares or studio flats if you don't have any of the above.

Good luck - I know it's crazily stressful - We've been at uni for a little over 2 months and we've already made the most fundamental decision for next year!
Original post by iBeAmber
Just join facebook pages for your uni because sometimes people need an extra person to live in their house and they post... That extra person could be you!
I know - This happened to a girl on my course - the exact same thing
If you have the opportunity to stay in halls, you should - I'm only allowed to stay in the first year - it's £150 per week and there's 24 hour security and I'm literally so close to everything (I'm in Canterbury).
Similarly, look for house shares or studio flats if you don't have any of the above.

Good luck - I know it's crazily stressful - We've been at uni for a little over 2 months and we've already made the most fundamental decision for next year!

I've not been able to find any facebook pages specifically for house sharing and can seem to find barely any adverts of people advertising extra rooms. Do you think its because its too early? I go to Manchester so obviously its a huge student city so maybe a lot of people leave it a bit later because there is excess housing. I also cant stay in halls for a second year :/
Reply 3
Are there facebook pages/ groups for your halls of residence?
If so, join them and post - Just search for your halls or ask peoples on your course.
I'm not too sure if it's too early in Manchester but I'm all sorted now in Canterbury, as are my pals in Bournemouth and Southampton - I think the time is right - There are probably no specific pages -
Original post by anonstudent1234
I've not been able to find any facebook pages specifically for house sharing and can seem to find barely any adverts of people advertising extra rooms. Do you think its because its too early? I go to Manchester so obviously its a huge student city so maybe a lot of people leave it a bit later because there is excess housing. I also cant stay in halls for a second year :/

Whats wrong with halls if you don't mind me asking?
It is a bit early for advertising flats yet, usually you will find that they will start to gradually appear end of January/start of February time as current tenants are having to make decisions on if they will continue with their leases or not. If you don't like halls (I didn't particularly like student accommodation either) then there is always plenty of single flats and try looking on Facebook groups for extra rooms like people have said. Some people don't like single flats but I'm going to be getting one for next year. I moved in with one of my flat mates from first year and now I can't wait to leave in May and get my own place. I like quiet and things being clean and tidy but my flatmate is the opposite so I can actually be better to have a place to yourself! But if you prefer to share, options will appear, just be patient as people normally start making their housing plans after Christmas time :smile:

On a side note, do you know if your university have a flat letting agency type thing? I'm at Edinburgh and the accommodation services run something called Student Homes where they have a whole group of flats that you can rent through them which I love (I'm in one of those flats now)- you have to organise your own internet, bills etc but your half of the rent goes out to them by direct deposit each month and there is no landlords to deal with!
Yeah it is far too early especially for a big city like Manchester don't worry until around February
Also its quite likely that house mates will change so you may end up with flat mates anyway

I agree with the idea to see if your uni has a housing service. Mine does, we also have socials to help find a flatmate
I'm in Newcastle and having a similar issue. Feeling pretty down about it
Original post by clbroomfield
I'm in Newcastle and having a similar issue. Feeling pretty down about it

I'm in Newcastle as well. Don't worry about housing! I'm in first year, and I'm not even seriously looking at housing issues until after January exams. Are you a member of any societies/sports teams? Can you live with any of them? I'm sure you'll find people to live with. If not, there'll be a spare room in houseshares that you can rent.
Reply 9
These threads are everywhere! So many unreliable people stabbing each other in the back. :grr:

This is how it is unfortunately, people on the whole should be considered as fickle and unreliable when it comes to something like this. Somebody takes the lead that is probably completely inappropriate for it, and because of their selfishness and the mood they might be in at the time they'll change a few things and the others follow suit because it makes life easy, and one less thing they need to worry about arranging themselves.

Don't let yourself be too down about it. They won't be giving it too much thought that you're not living with them. It is a real stab in the back even if you'd only chatted informally about it and right now you say you feel rejected.

I'd get on and organise something - maybe stay in Halls for another year, it's cheaper and you'll have a more constructive study environment that is probably more conveniently located as well as being safe and warm.

Plus, you avoid loo roll wars which can go on for months.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not very sporty and I'm in the English society and that's it. I have a couple of friends but only really see them in uni. I go on nights out with my flat but I haver really clicked as much as the others have. I'm in first year too, just a bit worried
Reply 11
I've now found a room to move into with a group of people who seem really lovely. I've not met them yet, but am due to in the next few days. What are people's experiences of moving into a student house with a group of people you don't know and who are already friends? They all seem lovely but I'm a bit nervous about it.
Original post by anonstudent1234
I've now found a room to move into with a group of people who seem really lovely. I've not met them yet, but am due to in the next few days. What are people's experiences of moving into a student house with a group of people you don't know and who are already friends? They all seem lovely but I'm a bit nervous about it.

Can I ask how you went about finding that? I can't find anything and there is a possibility of living with some flatmates but it's been hinted that they think the number is too big so I think I'll end up looking for something similar to this. Good luck with everything, I'm sure they'll be very welcoming if they're looking for an extra person!
The girl has just filled her room with one of the other housemates friends so now its not available :mad:. now back to square 1 and looking for somewhere to live again :/
Hope things work out soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending