The Student Room Group

HELP! Could I be pregnant?

Okay, so before anyone gives me a big rant on how I should be responsible - just don't. I'm 20 years old and have been extremely responsible with my sex life thus far, I'm on the pill and always ensure we use a condom as I am deathly afraid of getting pregnant. Everyone makes mistakes, I'm not here to be preached at, I'm here because I want information

Okay, so about 4 weeks ago at my birthday party I had sex. I threw up earlier in the night because I was unbelievably intoxicated, so I asked my partner if he had a condom and he said no. I told him not to have sex with me and then from that point on I completely blacked out due to high levels of intoxication. I hadn't a clue what was going on. It was only the next day when my friend informed me that I was aware that I slept with him. So, naturally, I pop down to my local pharmacist and purchase the morning after pill as a precautionary measure and I was on the last day of my pack of contraceptive pills so she just told me to skip my week off and move straight onto the next pack, so I did.
Unfortunately, later that week I had sex again (this time with a condom) but the condom slipped off and got stuck inside me. This gave me a scare and so I took the morning after pill again.

I am currently on my week off from my contraceptive pill and have just taken my period today, but the blood is very clotted and brown and comes in sporadic bleeds as opposed to a constant flow. I have experienced no pregnancy symptoms whatsoever since the last time I had intercourse which was 4 weeks ago. I have also been under considerable stress as of late due to the fact that I'm doing lots of overtime in work and exams and assignments are coming up in uni. Additionally, I am also on antidepressants and take frequent panic attacks.

Does anyone have any explanation for this? Why is my period like this? Is it due to a mixture of a hormone overload due to taking emergency contraceptive twice in one week and skipping my week off in conjunction with feeling unbelievably stressed and panicked? Or could I be pregnant?

Please please help me. Pregnancy is my worst fear and I am in no position to bring a child into the world, plus in Northern Ireland abortion is not readily available and I don't know if I can really afford the cost of having the procedure done.
You're not pregnant. Weird bleeding will be from hormone overload of taking the MAP twice in one month and not having a break
Just take a deep breath hun, you'll probably be fine. Chances are with the mixture of medication along with the increased levels of stress then maybe your body is probably taking a bit of a toll, and thus you period looking a little bit like it does. However if you're really nervous or just to make sure everything is working properly and functioning the way it should do I would suggest going to a see a female doctor- trust me I just cringe a little if I have a feminine problem and I get a male doctor. But I don't think you can be pregnant or you would start to see some of the side effects by now x

Quick Reply

Latest