The Student Room Group

How to get a girlfriend at uni?

I'm in my second year at uni. I've been hoping to meet an awesome girl that I'd be interested in ever since I started uni but it still hasn't happened yet. I go to student events, I've joined societies, and I go out at weekends and such.

There's no girls I'm interested in on my course. The societies that I joined never go further than the meet and greet (i.e. the society just dies or no one ever turns up to them). Whatever student events I go to, I never really meet anyone.

What's worse is that all of my flatmates are in relationships and always have their other halves around, and I'm the only single one. That gets me down. Especially when all two of them ever talk about is their boyfriend/girlfriend.

Whenever I try and make plans happen, to go to a particular place where I might be able to meet girls, my flatmates just ignore them or don't bother coming, so then I've got no one to go with. As I'm at uni in London I would definitely rather not be going places at night by myself, preferably. I don't have that many close friends at uni either.

Before starting uni, I was really geared up and excited because I was thinking to myself, what better place is there to meet lots of girls and maybe have my first proper relationship than university?

For the record, I've tried the online dating thing many a time and it has never ever worked.

Replies that say something like 'you don't need a relationship' and 'you have more time for your studies' don't help, as needing something and wanting something are two different things, but for me they're both true. I do need and want someone in my life, and I've been experiencing this for a very long time. I've been single forever. Also, I'm good at getting my work done so having a girlfriend would never affect my uni work.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice.
Reply 1
aww i know how you feel, i'd hoped to have my first relationship at uni, but similarly haven't really met anyone i've wanted anything to happen with.
my advice would be places like the library or coffee shops/uni cafes, i've been asked out a few times in those situations and it's less intimidating than being asked out on a night out or something, where you're not sure if the guy is just drunk/trying to take you home. if you sit next to someone in the library or on their table in a uni cafe, hopefully it'll be easy to start a conversation, asking them what they study or whatever... hopefully that will lead to something!
good luck! hopefully you'll find someone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending