The Student Room Group

Pansexual? Is it a real thing or just attention-seeking?

Scroll to see replies

Because it is the same thing as bisexuality. I've been with transpeople as well but that doesn't change the fact that I am bi. Just because I slept with them, I don't suddenly become 'pansexual.' Also, most pansexuals I've met are straight af.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Yes it is attention seeking.
"Pansexual" should not be recognized as a form of sexuality in my books.
We only have two genders,and three sexualities whilst your friend falls under bisexuality.

Actually sexuality is not this black and white thing, where we can say you're heterosexual or you're homosexual. It's actually a spectrum and being pansexual means that you are attracted to people, not their genders, whereas being bisexual means you can be attracted to men and women. Pansexual people are similar BUT NOT THE SAME because they could attracted to someone who's gender non-binary for example. People don't say things like that because it is attention-seeking, although if they do, that's silly. Also, gender is technically a spectrum, because there are people who don't wish to assign themselves to a particular gender and we should respect that.
I hope that made sense
[video="youtube;T44WHLhx7Yo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T44WHLhx7Yo[/video]
There is no distinction between the two. Pansexuals are attracted to exactly the same people as bisexuals and half of these millenial pansexuals only date heterosexually anyway because they are closet heterosexuals.
Tbh I find pan a bit extra. It’s just bi but switching words around to sound super inclusive. Being bi is seeing past gender and being attracted to whoever you’re attracted to. Pan is like the updated word that ticks all the political correctness boxes. Then the pan ppl look at you like you’re filth because you’re bi and go all “why not be pan” and like, no one will ever take me seriously if they think i’m attracted to kitchenware.
Original post by UnknownSnowFlake
Actually sexuality is not this black and white thing, where we can say you're heterosexual or you're homosexual. It's actually a spectrum and being pansexual means that you are attracted to people, not their genders, whereas being bisexual means you can be attracted to men and women. Pansexual people are similar BUT NOT THE SAME because they could attracted to someone who's gender non-binary for example. People don't say things like that because it is attention-seeking, although if they do, that's silly. Also, gender is technically a spectrum, because there are people who don't wish to assign themselves to a particular gender and we should respect that.
I hope that made sense

Non-binary is not a gender.
Original post by I just went gay
Because it is the same thing as bisexuality. I've been with transpeople as well but that doesn't change the fact that I am bi. Just because I slept with them, I don't suddenly become 'pansexual.' Also, most pansexuals I've met are straight af.

If you’re bi, I’m surprised you’re not a bit more charitable. It wasn’t so long ago (indeed, I expect it still happens!) that people said, ’’Bisexuality isn’t a real thing, you’re just confused and greedy, you’re either gay or straight, pick one!’’ Expecting us to take your bisexuality seriously on the sole basis of your having told us so, but not taking others’ pansexuality seriously on the very same basis - now that does sound confused and greedy!
I hope that made sense

This is toot though. Bisexual people aren’t attracted to genders. Makes it sound like we just thirst after d*ck and vag. Bi people can be attracted to anyone regardless of gender. Since the name isn’t new it was made when the general consensus was that there were two genders hence bi.
Original post by cat_mac
Tbh I find pan a bit extra. It’s just bi but switching words around to sound super inclusive. Being bi is seeing past gender and being attracted to whoever you’re attracted to. Pan is like the updated word that ticks all the political correctness boxes. Then the pan ppl look at you like you’re filth because you’re bi and go all “why not be pan” and like, no one will ever take me seriously if they think i’m attracted to kitchenware.

Lol half of these pansexual people have never even ****ed someone of the same sex.
Original post by cat_mac

A bisexual person is attracted to males and females; not everyone is easily categorised as male or female. There’s not much of a difference but it’s there. Non-binary people are very lucky that they are around!
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
If you’re bi, I’m surprised you’re not a bit more charitable. It wasn’t so long ago (indeed, I expect it still happens!) that people said, ’’Bisexuality isn’t a real thing, you’re just confused and greedy, you’re either gay or straight, pick one!’’ Expecting us to take your bisexuality seriously on the sole basis of your having told us so, but not taking others’ pansexuality seriously on the very same basis - now that does sound confused and greedy!

We don’t take it serious because it’s the same damn thing, they just changed to name to be more edgy. This talk of “bi people are attracted to genders” is toot.
Bisexuality is romantic attraction, sexual attraction, or sexual behavior toward both males and females, or romantic or sexual attraction to people of any sex or gender identity; this latter aspect is sometimes alternatively termed pansexuality.
A bisexual person is attracted to males and females; not everyone is easily categorised as male or female. There’s not much of a difference but it’s there. Non-binary people are very lucky that they are around!

No offence but that’s garbage. Bisexuality is a term that was coined back in the days of “there are only two genders” but that doesn’t translate the reality of what it is. before pan came around there was no issue but now if you’re bi you’re a biggot because the term implies two genders SMH
If someone is attracted to pans then who am I to get in the way.

I can appreciate a good saucepan when I go over my chef friend's house :h:

Why should I be charitable to people who are too ashamed of the bisexuality label and so decides to invent a new term that isn't needed, and then proceeds to **** off the bisexuality label as not being 'inclusive' enough, whatever that means?

I'm speaking it how it is. Pansexuality is simply the same as bisexuality. The only reason why people think they're different is because pansexuals have gone out of their way to make up myths about bisexuality in order to erase the label out of existence.
Non-binary is not a gender.

It is a category for people who don't define themselves as male or female. And that's what I'm trying to say. Pansexual people are not attracted to genders, but to people. These people may have specific gender or may not.
It is a category for people who don't define themselves as male or female. And that's what I'm trying to say. Pansexual people are not attracted to genders, but to people. These people may have specific gender or may not.

So you think bisexuals are not attracted to people but simply what is between their legs? Sorry but that is wrong. When I go on a date, I'm not automatically thinking 'ooh Kate's vagina looks so sexy' or 'Dan has a penis the size of an elephant trunk.' I'm thinking of a person's behaviour, personality and how they dress as well.
No that's not what I'm saying. Because neither heterosexuals nor homosexuals are attracted to 'what's between their legs'. I'm just trying to say that being pansexual and bisexual overlap, but pansexual is not just males and females. Attraction is never just about sexual desire. It's about more than just that. I'm sorry if I conveyed a different sort of message.

So you think bisexuals are not attracted to people but simply what is between their legs? Sorry but that is wrong. When I go on a date, I'm not automatically thinking 'ooh Kate's vagina looks so sexy' or 'Dan has a penis the size of an elephant trunk.' I'm thinking of a person's behaviour, personality and how they dress as well.
Original post by cat_mac
No offence but that’s garbage. Bisexuality is a term that was coined back in the days of “there are only two genders” but that doesn’t translate the reality of what it is. before pan came around there was no issue but now if you’re bi you’re a biggot because the term implies two genders SMH

Why should I be charitable to people who are too ashamed of the bisexuality label and so decides to invent a new term that isn't needed, and then proceeds to **** off the bisexuality label as not being 'inclusive' enough, whatever that means?

I'm speaking it how it is. Pansexuality is simply the same as bisexuality. The only reason why people think they're different is because pansexuals have gone out of their way to make up myths about bisexuality in order to erase the label out of existence.

I don’t consider bisexual people to be bigots and I wholeheartedly agree with you that calling bisexuality not inclusive enough is dumb. If you aren’t attracted to people who can’t be categorised as men or as women, that’s completely legitimate and not something you should be censured for. Only being attracted to the main two genders is completely okay, and I don’t consider the term to imply that there are only two.

When pansexual people say that bisexuality isn’t inclusive enough, I suspect they mean it isn’t inclusive enough to encompass their own tastes - they don’t want to limit themselves to people who identify as men or as women. I don’t think you need to take that as some sort of an insult - can’t we all get along?! Are you not prepared to be as tolerant as you hope wider society would be of you?
****sexual

Still more to follow as each day goes by

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending