The Student Room Group

Swiss national applying for student finance.

Hello,

I am in the process for applying for student finance and I need help in answering the initial questions on the online application. I believe I fall under any of the 3 of the following questions:

Settled Status I have a right of 'permanent residence' in the UK, or have been granted 'indefinite leave to remain'.

Child of a Swiss National My parent is a Swiss National who will be living/was living in the UK on the first day of my course.

I am, or a 'family member' is, an EEA or a Swiss national who is working in the UK/has worked in the UK/is looking for work in the UK.

- When going under settled status. I have lived in UK for 9 years and exercise treaty rights to live, work, study in the UK so therefore I should also come under settled status automatically. Your online form asks for when I received this status but I haven't applied for this through home office as I have had no problem with working, studying and living here on swiss passport alone. I have been ordinarily resident here. Do I have to apply and be granted this status through home office or do I qualify seeming as I have been living here for more than 5 years? According to UCISA someone has right of permanent residence if they have been ordinarliy resident in UK for more than 5 years. If this is ok, do I just put date I was here for 5 years?

- When going under child of swiss national I am directed to complete paper forms. the guidance notes state under question b1. for children under eea workers the term 'child means a person under the the age of 21; or dependants of the person or the persons spouse or civil partner.
(I am 27 years old and I am not dependant on my parent, would this exclude me?)

- I am, or a 'family member' is, an EEA or a Swiss national it asks me to fill in paper forms. If I have to complete the paper form, do I select child of a swiss national under question a3?

- If both of the first 2 do not apply to me then I have a query regarding question b1 on the paper form for 'I am a swiss national worker or family member is' category:

I am swiss national who has worked in the UK, I am currently on jobseekers looking for work but I am also in the process of setting up a small online business so by the time I start uni I will be self employed. How will this affect my student loan application in terms of getting maintenance loan and grant? I don't expect earn above the threshold to qualify for these. I read that in order for a swiss worker to qualify for sf, they have to be working? Is this right? Does the work have to relate to the course? As mine wont. Also my parent who is swiss will also be working, if my business fails will I still qualify if I am no longer working but my swiss parent will be? Even though I am not dependent on them?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there.

It's in your best interest to apply as the child of a swiss national as this would be the easiest route you would be eligible for. Whereas you may not be dependent on your parent anymore you are still their child.

In this case all we would require is evidence of your parents nationality and evidence of your relationship.

You can apply under having the right of permanent residence but this means we would require 5 years worth of evidence to show you have actually been here in this case which can be slightly more inconvenient than applying as a child of a swiss national.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending