The Student Room Group

why's it hard to find someone on the same page as me?

The men I meet seem to only want flings or casual relationships. Before anyone says it must be where I'm meeting them, I've met men in various places. There are the honest ones that will say "I wasn't something casual", then there are ones that will tell you they are looking for a relationship.

Sometimes they really are doing just that, but I've found that many are looking for a relationship in the future and it's not necessarily anytime soon or a relationship with me even. These guys just want to have fun and be with who ever they want. I'm okay with that, I'm just not involved and I tend to leave guys to their own devices. I'm yet to meet a man that wants to be in a monogamous relationship. The older I get, the harder I'm finding it.

Most of my friends are into casual relationships and it seems to work well for them. Some lead to serious relationships and other times it doesn't. I really just can't get my head around the need to be with multiple people. I would happily settle down with one guy and spend the rest of my days with him if he was the right for me. I wasn't too experience certain things like everyone else, however i don't want this to happen with any guy for the sake of it.

I don't want to rush anything and the thought of sleeping with a guy who is out sleeping with other girls doesn't sit well with me. The thought of catching feelings for a guy that probably only sees me as a quick **** scares me. It works for some people, it develops into a relationship or they can have fun and not catch feelings. Then there are ones that catch feelings, get hurt and the cycle repeats itself. I don't want to take any risks and have any regrets. It just hard to find someone on the same page as me who shares the same values/morals as me....

Does anyone else out there have the same issue?

Scroll to see replies

Don't look for relationships. Do what you enjoy doing, or what you do best. (only when you are 100% content with yourself will you attract others)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
Don't look for relationships. Do what you enjoy doing, or what you do best. (only when you are 100% content with yourself will you attract others)

Thanks, that's what I've been doing for the last 10 years. I've never gone out of my way to meet guys. I've always had my head in my books and I've not paid that much attention to my love life. I feel like I've spent enough time getting to know myself, I know I don't need to be with someone to feel complete. I can function alone, but like everybody else I want to experience being in love too.
Hmm, there isn't a solution then. You said it yourself, "you can function alone", so you can only keep doing that until you meet a special person that you're completely satisfied with
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
Hmm, there isn't a solution then. You said it yourself, "you can function alone", so you can only keep doing that until you meet a special person that you're completely satisfied with

Yeah you're right. Won't kill me I guess, thanks
Yeah...

Yes!

I have exactly the same problem. Loads of people do. Unfortunately though the proportion of those "loads of people" that do that are exactly suitable for you is pretty low and so there is a good chance you won't find them very easily...
How old are you? Knowing will help give you better advice as context is key.
Reply 7
Original post by TorpidPhil
Yeah...

Yes!

I have exactly the same problem. Loads of people do. Unfortunately though the proportion of those "loads of people" that do that are exactly suitable for you is pretty low and so there is a good chance you won't find them very easily...

Sad but true. At least I'm I'm not alone in this. A part of me is worried I won't find someone suitable and end up settlling.
Reply 8
Original post by jenkinsear
How old are you? Knowing will help give you better advice as context is key.

Hi,
I'm 26
Try not to worry ... chance says there MUST be some honourable gentlemen out there, you just have to be patient and find them. :crossedf:
Original post by Anonymous
Sad but true. At least I'm I'm not alone in this. A part of me is worried I won't find someone suitable and end up settlling.

Lots of people have that worry. That's why those ideas are such a prevalent part of culture manifest through our art.

Still, there's not much to gained dwelling on it too much. What happens will happen. Worrying about whether your life will turn out great won't make it turn out great, it will probably do the opposite. So stop worrying about that and do things to make yourself more attractive. Do you lift? If not, start lifting :tongue:

Even if it won't help you get a boyfriend, which by the way, it will, it improves your quality of life and takes your mind off these needless worries. Hobbies are very important and very undervalued in our society I think.
Hi,
I'm 26

That's interesting. By that age I'd expect people to be more keen on settling down/with a view towards it. Suggests a lack of maturity in the guys you've had dealings with (not your fault- it's not a criticism). What kind of age guys do you tend to go for? Are they around your age or older? Any trend in professionals/educational background?

From my experience, people in finance/law/"City" type jobs tend to be far less willing to commit than people in a lot of other professions. Part of it is probably because of time, and the fact that such careers tend to attract a certain type of person. Is this possibly the issue?
Original post by Maid Marian
Try not to worry ... chance says there MUST be some honourable gentlemen out there, you just have to be patient and find them. :crossedf:

I hope so! It's hard not to be worried when time isn't by my side and everyone's asking when I'm getting married lol. Thanks, I will patiently wait.
For the record, I want monogamy. Casual/open relationships just don't appeal to me whatsoever. But i think I'm rare - All the other guys I know are either in relationships that stemmed from casual stuff, or are just into getting laid by whatever means..
Original post by jenkinsear
That's interesting. By that age I'd expect people to be more keen on settling down/with a view towards it. Suggests a lack of maturity in the guys you've had dealings with (not your fault- it's not a criticism). What kind of age guys do you tend to go for? Are they around your age or older? Any trend in professionals/educational background?

From my experience, people in finance/law/"City" type jobs tend to be far less willing to commit than people in a lot of other professions. Part of it is probably because of time, and the fact that such careers tend to attract a certain type of person. Is this possibly the issue?

Same here. Sadly that isn't the case, in terms of the guys I meet anyway. The guys I date are usually between the ages of 25 & 30. They come from all from different backgrounds, I dated a Personal trainer and a Sales Manager in the last couple of years. The personal trainer was really immature for his age (30), he pretended to share the same values as me, but in the end discovered he didn't respect me at all and he just wanted sex. He's the oldest guy I've dated so far.

The sales manager had lots of girls on the go and tried to convince me he only had time for me, no one else - I confronted him one day and he lied through his teeth. He said he wanted a relationship in the beginning and then kept making excuses and he would avoid the topic entirely. This guy was the same age as me.

The guy I'm currently seeing is a Data Analyst (I'm in the process of cutting him off, since he is looking for something more physical). Although he said he was looking for something long-term but he wants something casual it seems. I will give him a little credit since he was honest about what he wants, although it did take a while for him to tell me this.

So it varies.
Lots of people have that worry. That's why those ideas are such a prevalent part of culture manifest through our art.

Still, there's not much to gained dwelling on it too much. What happens will happen. Worrying about whether your life will turn out great won't make it turn out great, it will probably do the opposite. So stop worrying about that and do things to make yourself more attractive. Do you lift? If not, start lifting :tongue:

Even if it won't help you get a boyfriend, which by the way, it will, it improves your quality of life and takes your mind off these needless worries. Hobbies are very important and very undervalued in our society I think.

You have a point. I myself have allowed my mind to wonder and neglected the activities I take great pleasure in doing. It's natural to want things to run smoothy and I'd rather think of all the best outcomes, then to think about the worst. I could be setting myself up to disappointment, but that's a part of life. I'll just try to keep myself busy and focus on my other goals... Such as getting rid of my beer belly! So might get back to my healthy lifestyle, thanks
Original post by GeorgeBuxey94
For the record, I want monogamy. Casual/open relationships just don't appeal to me whatsoever. But i think I'm rare - All the other guys I know are either in relationships that stemmed from casual stuff, or are just into getting laid by whatever means..

*high five* it is very rare. From what I've seen guys in particular love casual affairs. It all seems a bit backwards to me. I can never see myself being intimate with someone casually before being in a relationship. To each their own.
I feel the same way. I'm only 20 though. I just need to get out more.
Original post by ChickenMadness
I feel the same way. I'm only 20 though. I just need to get out more.

I wish I could be 20 again lol! At least you know where to start, you'll be fine :smile:
*high five* it is very rare. From what I've seen guys in particular love casual affairs. It all seems a bit backwards to me. I can never see myself being intimate with someone casually before being in a relationship. To each their own.

Yeah exactly..To me that just doesn't work. The relationship is what makes it intimate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending