The Student Room Group

How do I get through this crush?

So I have a crush on my housemate and the reason I know I'm going to get through it is because all of my crushes tend to be temporary and I only like him because he's one of the few people I know who's quite pleasant towards me (this is largely my fault) and no guy who I like is interested in me (I think there was a guy who may have liked me but I just didn't feel the same way; sometimes I hate that I can't force interest). But I'm finding it a tiny bit agonising that he has this girl around sometimes who I think he's dating but I'm too scared to ask. Either way I have a dislike for her for this reason which I know isn't healthy because she seems quite nice. Plus I know even though he's nice to me he just doesn't like me like that or in general I suspect and I'm sure (god willing) I'll find some reason to stop liking him. But how do I 1. Get over it as soon as possible and 2. Deal with the jealousy I feel right now?
Reply 1
Bump.
Go out and fill your life other friends and go out and meet other people/ guys. x
Reply 3
Original post by Ikidyounot.
Go out and fill your life other friends and go out and meet other people/ guys. x

I'm not exactly the friend making type; thats part of the problem.
Original post by Anonymous
So I have a crush on my housemate and the reason I know I'm going to get through it is because all of my crushes tend to be temporary and I only like him because he's one of the few people I know who's quite pleasant towards me (this is largely my fault) and no guy who I like is interested in me (I think there was a guy who may have liked me but I just didn't feel the same way; sometimes I hate that I can't force interest). But I'm finding it a tiny bit agonising that he has this girl around sometimes who I think he's dating but I'm too scared to ask. Either way I have a dislike for her for this reason which I know isn't healthy because she seems quite nice. Plus I know even though he's nice to me he just doesn't like me like that or in general I suspect and I'm sure (god willing) I'll find some reason to stop liking him. But how do I 1. Get over it as soon as possible and 2. Deal with the jealousy I feel right now?

Don't be too harsh on yourself re being unable to force an interest in someone. It's not really how attraction works. Unless you have good reasons for not liking someone I'd suggest giving them a chance - they just might grow on you, but I s'pose that's another issue.

My advice would be to just meet some more people doing the things you like, hang out with friends etc. You're aware that it's not nice to feel hostility toward the girl, and that your crush on your housemate is just temporary. Maybe each time you have any of those thoughts just remind yourself of that, and sooner or later you'll stop thinking about it.

Just try not to overthink things, get to know your housemate more and maybe you'll figure out if they're a thing.
I'm not exactly the friend making type; thats part of the problem.

Maybe doesn't come to you in the same way it does for others. Best way is always doing what you enjoy, which is a good way to occupy your mind and time in itself.

Favourite pastime? What interests you?
Reply 6
Maybe doesn't come to you in the same way it does for others. Best way is always doing what you enjoy, which is a good way to occupy your mind and time in itself.

Favourite pastime? What interests you?

I'm trying to join my uni's creative writing society?
I'm trying to join my uni's creative writing society?

Sounds good, love creative writing. When you're busy, you don't haven't enough room in your head for some problems, and they become easier to manage somehow. Of course some things are debilitating but it doesn't sound like that's what your dealing with here.

And when you're doing what you love, you're happier and a lot more attractive, indirectly. I think! You might meet someone else, you might decide an intimate relationship would stifle your creativity too much, you might become closer to your current crush.

Who knows, but don't let it or him consume you, it's not healthy. Sonsume your time with other things.

Btw you could also just ask him if he's seeing anyone?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Sounds good, love creative writing. When you're busy, you don't haven't enough room in your head for some problems, and they become easier to manage somehow. Of course some things are debilitating but it doesn't sound like that's what your dealing with here.

And when you're doing what you love, you're happier and a lot more attractive, indirectly. I think! You might meet someone else, you might decide an intimate relationship would stifle your creativity too much, you might become closer to your current crush.

Who knows, but don't let it or him consume you, it's not healthy. Sonsume your time with other things.

Btw you could also just ask him if he's seeing anyone?

Appreciate all your other advice but honestly I'm scared to ask. Its really not my business.
Appreciate all your other advice but honestly I'm scared to ask. Its really not my business.

Well if you want to date him, it sort of it. But no matter, yeah perhaps occupy yourself and your time, and slowly but surely your feelings for him will fade into significance.

Well just remember all relationships have an expiry day date and all sparks fizzle out so even though what you perceive to be an exciting prospect isn't necessarily going to feel exciting for you in a few months. In other words let's say he reciprocated it would probably fizzle out anyway. As other people have said do things for yourself. Seriously for yourself. What you really love. Guys at this age are often immature and not ready to commit anyway so it's not like being with him would be the heaven you imagine. Just focus and see the cons rather than idealising him
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending