The Student Room Group

TSR; Do you think that mental health issues are just as bad as physical issues?

Scroll to see replies

I said it could effect someone's quality of life. So yes some people may suffer from mental illness or physical illnesses and have a good quality of life whereas others don't, it depends on the individual case. All I'm saying is that mental illness is just as important as physical illnesses.
Some people really are judgmental. You can't compare the two at all. I've had severe depression and I've got serious physical issues. The two cant be compared in the slightest.
Too broad and vague a question to give a serious answer
Original post by Gott
You can recover from mental illness

You can recover from some physical illness too. Some mental illnesses can be very difficult to control, let alone recover from.
Both physical and mental illness can be debilitating, in my opinion they are both equally important, both can affect quality of life and in some case cause deaths.

They should both be considered equally, you are a whole person after all your mental and physical self are not seperate.
In some ways, mental illness can be worse than many physical illnesses. They are more ethereal and often harder to identify and treat. They can be more chronic. There is also stigma. At least with a physical issue it is often clear and visible/demonstrable and fixable,people see it/know about it and empathise..
Original post by Anonymous
In some ways, mental illness can be worse than many physical illnesses. They are more ethereal and often harder to identify and treat. They can be more chronic. There is also stigma. At least with a physical issue it is often clear and visible/demonstrable and fixable,people see it/know about it and empathise..

In my experience, this isn't true. I was born with a very rare brain condition. It causes a lot of other conditions. (I spent a lot of my childhood with a dangerous form of epilepsy) which amongst other things, caused a few visual impairments. There's no actual test for the condition and a lot of people are finding that it's discovered by accident and a lot of professionals don't believe it causes any problems and every issue you have, is purely a coincidence. (a lot of us have reported visual impairments, walking problems / spinal problems, etc) There's no cure at all for it and at least one GP is convinced I'm faking it.

The condition isn't visible at all.
I think that mental health conditions are just as serious at physical health conditions. However, I think that since in many ways mental health is so often ignored and misunderstood, in some ways it can be worse for people who suffer from these conditions and family/friends who help them, since there is often so little help available. For example, my boyfriend has borderline personality disorder (BPD) and paranoid personality disorder (PPD), and although he is getting better, these conditions cause a lot of suffering and difficulties for both of us and our families, yet since so little is known or understood, most people can't offer much support or help. A lot of the time mental health problems are invisible and due to stigma many people affected don't get the help they need or are treated poorly by society, which people with physical disabilities suffer less. However, it is also fair to say that due to the amount of variation in all health problems, it is impossible to really compare them
Mental health issues can and often does have worse consequences than physical issues. The latter affects an individual, the former can prove fatal to not just the person afflicted.

Original post by Kyou
Personally I think that some types of mental health issues e.g. depression just cannot be compared with physical issues such as losing a limb. However I do think specific types of mental health (severe autism being one of these) can be compared with physical health issues.

What do you guys think?

I don't agree with this statement at all.

Losing a limb is likely to precipitate chronic depression which can easily have far more serious consequences and be deadlier than the former.

i.e. One can survive losing a limb and lead a relatively normal life. Depression can be terminal and not just for the person suffering. Witness the German Wings and other suicides which cause loss of life on a huge scale.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have severe depression, generalised anxiety disorder, an eating disorder and my latest psychiatrist thinks I might have borderline personality disorder. I'd much rather have cancer. At least then people would understand when I couldn't get out of bed and I wouldn't be told to 'try harder to get better'. And I'd have the benefit of still being myself.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I have severe depression, generalised anxiety disorder, an eating disorder and my latest psychiatrist thinks I might have borderline personality disorder. I'd much rather have cancer. At least then people would understand when I couldn't get out of bed and I wouldn't be told to 'try harder to get better'. And I'd have the benefit of still being myself.
I'm so sorry to hear that and I cannot imagine how difficult all of that must be for you. :frown:
Reply 31
Simple answer: yes, they can be.

I have a mental illness that was brought on by a neurological illness but the mental illness has caused more damage to my overall life and directly and indirectly my physical health. Maybe you could say the whole mental problem is a side effect or symptom of the physical illness but there is no point im looking at it like that in my opinion.

They can be as bad as physical illness in my opinion because they can have as much impact on the quality of life as serious physical illness and often have high mortality rates. My mental illness has a higher mortality rate than some cancers.

The fact is that more severe mental illness is not only comparatively rare but also seems to be ignored by society to a large extent even when the issue is discussed. A bit like talking about cancer but only talking about benign tumours. Many with severe mental illness are marginalised by society and live isolated and alienated lives. Many end up on the streets and have short lonely lives dying early. This is different from many physical illnesses but still a big problem amd as bad or worse than many serious physical illnesses
I would say they are both the same in terms of how important it is to have good mental and physical health and both should be taken seriously. In terms of what is worse, its all relative. Some people can deal with physical problems better than mental problems and vice versa and some physical problems are easier to treat than some mental problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i think they are on par, they can have equal fatal capacity, and are debilitating for many, such as anxiety.

My panic attacks can have a few different outcomes, from sobbing and hyperventilating to vomiting for hours, and even the smallest daily tasks have to be put off at times as im just incapable of doing anything.

obviously it is much less/more severe for different people , but i think people need to try and understand just how terrible it can be for so many because i think without suffering with some sort of mental illness it is so hard to get just how much it can affect even the simplest things in your life.
Original post by uberteknik
Mental health issues can and often does have worse consequences than physical issues. The latter affects an individual, the former can prove fatal to not just the person afflicted.

Physical health can affect people around you too. Put it this way - I used to share a room with my sister. Unknown to my parents, I had a form of epilepsy which only affected me at night. Anyway, one night / early one morning, my sister had gone toilet. We shared bunk beds and I'd fallen out of bed and she had to get mum because I was making strange noises and because she couldn't get back into bed.

I still have flashbacks to having to watch and listen my father have a seizure. it's ****ing scary.

You simply can't compare physical and mental health issues. How many of you have actually had or got both? My guess is very few of you.

How bloody dare you. Yes, you are right about the cancer. But at least with the mental health issues, you won't be forced to go into insolation because the chemicals they've put into your body means you have no immune system and you have catch everything going. My Granddad had cancer. He died of a chest infection, which was a very slow and painful death.
Original post by OU Student
Physical health can affect people around you too. Put it this way - I used to share a room with my sister. Unknown to my parents, I had a form of epilepsy which only affected me at night. Anyway, one night / early one morning, my sister had gone toilet. We shared bunk beds and I'd fallen out of bed and she had to get mum because I was making strange noises and because she couldn't get back into bed.

I still have flashbacks to having to watch and listen my father have a seizure. it's ****ing scary.

You simply can't compare physical and mental health issues. How many of you have actually had or got both? My guess is very few of you.

How bloody dare you. Yes, you are right about the cancer. But at least with the mental health issues, you won't be forced to go into insolation because the chemicals they've put into your body means you have no immune system and you have catch everything going. My Granddad had cancer. He died of a chest infection, which was a very slow and painful death.

I think you are missing the point:

There are physical illnesses that are worse than many mental illnesses and there are mental illnesses that are worse than many physical conditions.

Dependent on the actual diagnosis, both conditions have the ability to debilitate and destroy normal function and quality of life for the sufferer and their families. The judgement is subjective in both cases with some sufferers and families more resilient than others.

Neither one has a claim to be worse than the other. Mental illness has the capacity to cause harm to many innocent people through the actions of the person driven by their condition.
(edited 9 years ago)
How many people with physical illness harm others compared with those with mental illness?
Original post by OU Student

I've had a lot of experience with people with terminal cancer. You obviously have no experience of severe mental illness.

Original post by barnetlad
How many people with physical illness harm others compared with those with mental illness?

People with mental illness are much more likely to be the victims of crime than commit crimes.
Of course! Both are sensitive, harmful, often cause suffering, require treatment, are potentially debilitating and are potentially dangerous.
Original post by Kyou
Personally I think that some types of mental health issues e.g. depression just cannot be compared with physical issues such as losing a limb. However I do think specific types of mental health (severe autism being one of these) can be compared with physical health issues.

What do you guys think?

I can confirm that you Aren't wrong in what you said due to the "specific types of mental health" bit. Yup, I fell off a roof 3 years ago and had a tbi, or brain damage to you and me. It's changed my life completely because it affects me physically and mentally. -I can't play any sport anymore, have a terrible memory and I'm probably depressed.

I'm not autistic, just a bit of a spaz finishing his degree but I think it's fair to say that I wouldn't be dissimilar.

-Leo

Quick Reply

Latest