The Student Room Group

I was sexually harassed outside of a McDonalds.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Scott.
Go to police station. Tell them the law on sex crimes. The way your going on, you'll be able to convince anyone that you've been assaulted....

Hey, that's a bit harsh, don't you think? She's had a bad experience, can't you see why she'd be upset over it?
Original post by Daenerys...

Is this a good idea?

where is this mcdonalds ? rotherham ?

outside the BBC studios ?
Oh **** off. I think this trivial issue actually makes a mockery out of women who suffer from real sexual abuse.
Reply 43
Original post by damoney
Hey, that's a bit harsh, don't you think? She's had a bad experience, can't you see why she'd be upset over it?

Well she walked out of the restaurant because the group had become rowdy. It's a bad experience at fast food store. That's where it should have ended, not on here.
Reply 44
Original post by Inzamam99
Oh **** off. I think this trivial issue actually makes a mockery out of women who suffer from real sexual abuse.

A lot of issues being discussed in TSR are mockeries.
Reply 45
This happened earlier today at around 7. The drive thru was busy as you can imagine since it's Friday so I parked the car and thought it'd be quicker to walk in and order from inside. Unfortunately this was not the case as there was a long queue inside. I decided my only option was to join the line of agitated people and wait to be called upon.

No more than 2 mins in the line a group of 19-25 year old men were making crude comments about my appearance and asking me if I had a boyfriend. I ignored them but they got rowdy they were probably drinking there's a pub next door. I decided to leave the queue and walk up to a member of staff, a man, and informed him of the persistent comments and the sexual harassment I experienced he told me that there was nothing they could do apart from take a note of my order and they bring it over to my car. I was shocked and frustrated so I left the place still hungry and drove off.

When I got home I told my mum and she said I could report the guys by going to the local police station and making the mcdonalds provide the cctv.

Is this a good idea?

No where did I read about any sexual touching , if it was simply verbal I doubt you could do much about it,doubt even the police would care.You are called Daenerys though shes supposed to be a bad ass, you are not living up to that name.
(edited 9 years ago)
This happened earlier today at around 7. The drive thru was busy as you can imagine since it's Friday so I parked the car and thought it'd be quicker to walk in and order from inside. Unfortunately this was not the case as there was a long queue inside. I decided my only option was to join the line of agitated people and wait to be called upon.

No more than 2 mins in the line a group of 19-25 year old men were making crude comments about my appearance and asking me if I had a boyfriend. I ignored them but they got rowdy they were probably drinking there's a pub next door. I decided to leave the queue and walk up to a member of staff, a man, and informed him of the persistent comments and the sexual harassment I experienced he told me that there was nothing they could do apart from take a note of my order and they bring it over to my car. I was shocked and frustrated so I left the place still hungry and drove off.

When I got home I told my mum and she said I could report the guys by going to the local police station and making the mcdonalds provide the cctv.

Is this a good idea?

read this 7 times and still looking for where did harassment happened? lol
Sexual harassment is not just rape there's a broad spectrum beginning from coercion and ending with rape. I suspect you think rape is the only form of sexual harassment.

Ask if a girl has a boyfriend isn't sexual harassment.
Reply 48
Original post by charmander12
I remember when me and my friend was in a queue at McDonald's, my friend was quite tipsy, however I was not. Two lads were making crude comments to us for at least 10 minutes. We ignored it, and then I resolved the situation by telling the main loud-mouth that if he didn't quit I'd crush his dick with my dr martens, and then force feed it to his friend. Because I was calm and collected, he never expected it, so he soon shut up. I think it's because I said it so casually. I would have never reported it though, even if I was on my own.

You sound more like the real Daenerys Charmander you did not put up with it and let him know what's up. As long as you walked away safely, we all know there are crazy fellas who may have reacted and hurt you it's all about being safe about it.
I suppose you could call this a minor form of sexual harrassment - but speaking as someone who has previously worked at a Maccies drive thru for 5 months - you do get quite a few innapropriate comments from customers.

It's just the type of customer that the place tends to attract - I got used to the comments and found that the best way to deal with it was to take it on the chin or carry on the customer service experience with gritted teeth.

I even had to get used to being called 'babe' everytime I handed food out :s

I can see why your upset, but I wouldn't report the incident if I were you. Unless, you bump into those same guys again and they treat you the same way, then yes definitely.

But what you find to be offensive and derogatory is perhaps not so bad to them because they're not as educated? I doubt they intended to upset you, they probably just wanted some banter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
I'm going to sleep and see how I feel in the morning discussing it in this form is not doing me any favours.

Hello Daenerys you know earlier I made a lil joke about your username and you not being similar to the real Daenerys sorry for that.

I can see that you really are taking this seriously, I have no idea what words these guys used to offend you and it should not happen to you. However, as someone mentioned the CCTV unless it was really clear won't do much, also I struggle to think the police would waste resources on a nonphysical incident without much luck of catching the culprit. There is something you could do in future though to publicly shame this type of harasser, you only do this if it's safe for you of course, take out your mobile phone and get a nice picture of the culprits face then you can shame him/her on social media and maybe pass it to police,maybe even video the behaviour yourself.
Original post by Mancini
You sound more like the real Daenerys Charmander you did not put up with it and let him know what's up. As long as you walked away safely, we all know there are crazy fellas who may have reacted and hurt you it's all about being safe about it.

Yes we were safe, they would have been foolish to try and hurt me. I'm never usually reactionary, it just takes a lot, and then it's usually a humorous response. I'm not invincible by all means, but my massive stompin' boots, my generally gloomy disposition, plus my height usually makes men think twice.
Reply 52
I stated in the OP that they made crude comments about appearance. Asking me if I had a boyfriend was just a part of it.

Sexual harassment includes many things...
· Actual or attempted rape or sexual assault.
· Unwanted pressure for sexual favors.
· Unwanted deliberate touching, leaning over, cornering, or pinching.
· Unwanted sexual looks or gestures.
· Unwanted letters, telephone calls, or materials of a sexual nature.

Definition: Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physicalconduct of a sexual nature.

This is not a debate thread. Please leave your male agenda at the door.

What does that bold bit mean male agenda? This is TSR it's all about debates, the police if they wanted after a few warnings could perhaps have arrested them for breach of the peace considering the size of the group though and potential reaction the most likely police action would be to let them off, especially if the harassment is not physical.

Just think about football matches if police were to arrest every fan who said something a bit offensive to someone they would be over stretched plus imagine how many reports they would have to do,these individual reports I believe take 15 to maybe 30 mins if not an hour to complete.

I have seen police arrest a guy for touching a stripper outside a strip club , however,this was touching not verbal.
Reply 53

Is this a good idea?

Sadly this is the type of behaviour girls have to contend with at times. It is sexual harassment in my view. Whether it is serious enough to involve the police is a judgement call. I guess mostly if it's just verbal disrespect other coping approaches, like you went for, might be appropriate. If you feel physically threatened it is a more serious matter and one you should raise and be supported.
I am not surprised that my experience is being downplayed by the usual suspects. :rolleyes: I get comments about my looks from men all the time, I am used to it. This time what frustrated me was the closeness of the situation i.e. I could have been assaulted had I stayed there for longer and how the on-lookers pretended they didn't see or hear what was going on. Plenty of men from all ages were about me yet none stepped forward.

I have no idea what would come of it probably not much however my mother feels I have duty to report these people and I feel like I need to speak up for myself as well.

I can understand how that could have been really scary, actually.

It's unfair to expect a man to step forward and defend you, though. A group of drunk guys take very little to turn violent, and an onlooker getting involved could easily have found himself in really danger.

I personally think duty is a bs concept, but I do understand how to some people it can be an important motivating factor...also heads up, if you report it, they won't investigate it and might even get angry with you for 'wasting their time'.

It sucks, I know. I HATE rowdy drunk guys, especially in groups, because they're extremely threatening. Society doesn't need them. Unfortunately this is one of those instances where you won't be able to 'change' anything, and I'm sorry for that, but it does highlight how useless those staff seem to have been at dealing with the situation. Perhaps submit a complain to their head office and try to get justice that way.
The closeness of it. Usually I get the comments when I'm passing so I can walk away. However this time I was stuck in a queue and I was dead hungry so I couldn't just leave nor did I want to initially but eventually I thought this wasn't worth it. Another thing was that I felt it was escalating as they were getting rowdy like I said in the OP.

I know you''re getting upset that people aren't taking this seriously, but you still haven't said anything that indicates they had committed a crime. It sounds like you feared they might be about to commit a crime, but that this didn't actually commit one.

I was sexually harrassed outside a Mcdonalds once, funny enough. A girl who I'd say was about thirteen (I was at university) shouted that she wanted to suck my dick (in exchange for my Big Mac?). I just put my head down and kept walking, hoping no random ******** decided I was noncing on kids and gave me a kicking.
Reply 56
Original post by damoney
1. I just said it was bad they didn't show her any respect. I didn't say it was illegal.
2. I assumed as she said they were in a group therefore could come across as threatening to her.
3. To keep things in the store peaceful and not have potential trouble driving other customers away.
4. They have done for me in the past.

1. You said that straight after saying that she perhaps should go to the police so it certainly comes across that way
2. Well I'd assume being in a busy McDonalds she was unlikely to be harmed and being as there's no mention of feeling threatened it's wrong of you to assume.
3. Well they had a choice; lose one customer or potentially lose several when they don't know that they even did anything wrong
4. How would they track these guys down? They're hardly going to start a manhunt for a few guys making some inappropriate comments

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surprised at these comments. People actually defending those tw*ts?

Anyways OP, if they didn't put their hands on you, I wouldn't bother. I know its not the ideal solution but there's not much you can do tbh. At most you can go to the McDonald's and make a complaint to the manager.
Reply 58
I you think it was serious enough to make you very uncomfortable I would report it. Tbh nothing negative can come out of reporting it. If anything it will make police more aware of these instances and remind them that they are frequent and a problem that needs to be dealt with and taken more seriously.
Original post by Exon
Do you really think someone's going to assault you in a packed fast food restaurant?

Don't forget battery is simply unlawful force; the force or touching doesn't need to be violent. Touching her on the arm or anything like that would amount to battery and I can imagine would make her feel very vulnerable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending