The Student Room Group

My parents love me but I can't forgive (mental) abuse

My parents love me but I don't know whether they know how much/if their mental abuse has affected me. I doubt they think they did anything wrong actually

It's causing me conflict because I love them too and want to have a good relationship with them, but at the same time, I don't want to have anything to do with them?

Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My parents love me but I don't know whether they know how much/if their mental abuse has affected me. I doubt they think they did anything wrong actually

It's causing me conflict because I love them too and want to have a good relationship with them, but at the same time, I don't want to have anything to do with them?

Any advice?

I know this feeling sometimes...
Are there any adults in your life you could talk to about this? My Grandad has been a big help for me.
I have the exact same problem except mine was emotional abuse.

I'm still struggling with it to this day. I even live a city away from her which is a nice enough distance.

However, I'm starting to make my peace with it. I've even invited her to stay at my flat for the weekend to hangout and stuff.

You just have to put up with the memories but try and maker better new ones. Yes, it's hard to forgive what they did but eventually you'll either decide if you want to have a relationship with them and let the past go or whether to just lead your life and acknowledge them as your parents but that's it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending