The Student Room Group

How to come out as gay to family?

Scroll to see replies

OP, Idk not a counsellor, best to ask another gay who's secure and who you might know personally how they did it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by O.Ozz
gosh :sigh: sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry then.

It wasn't to offend, i just find the OP's question very obvious that consequences will be made.

As i said i'm not against homosexuals

Didn't read your **** but you dont' ever have to apologise to anyone for what you believe.
Original post by O.Ozz
First and foremost let me state the obivous. that i think everyone should take notice of how we have a brave Person in our mist :smile:. I mean honestly, i mean no disrespect to you but you want to break out to your parents that you are gay?! after they brought you up into this world?

I'm not against homesexuals please, im AGAINST HOMOSEXUALITY. This is a sin, its atrocious. I find it upsetting i really do. The bible speaks about this and God made it clear for man and woman to be together

I'm actually upset, i really i am. If you were at my home country Nigeria and you said this, you would be sent the death penalty, not only Nigeria but other countries as well. Look, i understand its a choice, i accept this, gay people i guess are fun, But seriously and i dont know how your family will take it, i mean God help me, It's your life. If you want to ruin this, then tell, if you don't, CHANGE. ITS EASY TO CHANGE.

I can PM you (or anyone else) about pastors on youtube preaching about this subject. I'm not crazy, its just what i have seen in the past

I think you are the one that needs help my friend, not the OP. And for the record we are in the United Kingdom not Nigeria. The fact that your country sentences people to death for there sexuality says more about you and your backward thinking nation.
Original post by Bag of Peanuts
Didn't read your **** but you dont' ever have to apologise to anyone for what you believe.

Oh yes he does. His views mean that he's an apologist for the torture and misery that oppressive religious and socially conservative regimes and closed minded, bigoted people inflict on millions of LGBT people around the world.

I'd say he, and the rest of them, have a lot to apologise for.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Oh yes he does. His views mean that he's an apologist for the torture and misery that oppressive religious and socially conservative regimes and closed minded, bigoted people inflict on millions of LGBT people around the world.

I'd say he, and the rest of them, have a lot to apologise for.

"If you were at my home country Nigeria and you said this, you would be sent the death penalty,"

Yes. I can see that. But he's obviously speaking behind the cultural indoctrinations of his native country, albeit stringent. But when you put it like "torture, misery, oppressive, bigoted, millions..." you're just mongering now. He's allowed to think, say, and do what he wants as a human being, isn't that what gays argue?
Reply 25
Original post by Jahe
I'm a 20 year old lad and have been 'out' to most of my mates for a year or two. I've now got a boyfriend and think it's time to tell my family. How do I do it? I'm don't fit the stereotypical image of a gay man but don't think they will be completely surprised either. What to do? Please help

Just tell them in the most casual way you can, let them know that you're comfortable with it as it should make them feel comfortable too.
Original post by O.Ozz
First and foremost let me state the obivous. that i think everyone should take notice of how we have a brave Person in our mist :smile:. I mean honestly, i mean no disrespect to you but you want to break out to your parents that you are gay?! after they brought you up into this world?

I'm not against homesexuals please, im AGAINST HOMOSEXUALITY. This is a sin, its atrocious. I find it upsetting i really do. The bible speaks about this and God made it clear for man and woman to be together

I'm actually upset, i really i am. If you were at my home country Nigeria and you said this, you would be sent the death penalty, not only Nigeria but other countries as well. Look, i understand its a choice, i accept this, gay people i guess are fun, But seriously and i dont know how your family will take it, i mean God help me, It's your life. If you want to ruin this, then tell, if you don't, CHANGE. ITS EASY TO CHANGE.

I can PM you (or anyone else) about pastors on youtube preaching about this subject. I'm not crazy, its just what i have seen in the past

This post is probably the most patronising thing I've read for a while. I'm not sure if I should be angry at you or feel sorry for you due to you having such a deluded mindset
Reply 27
Original post by Slowbro93
This post is probably the most patronising thing I've read for a while. I'm not sure if I should be angry at you or feel sorry for you due to you having such a deluded mindset

don't care

It's just an opinion. I know what i was taught. The UK have it easy and the OP should be lucky for it.
Original post by O.Ozz

Spot the dick head
Original post by Bag of Peanuts
"If you were at my home country Nigeria and you said this, you would be sent the death penalty,"

Yes. I can see that. But he's obviously speaking behind the cultural indoctrinations of his native country, albeit stringent. But when you put it like "torture, misery, oppressive, bigoted, millions..." you're just mongering now. He's allowed to think, say, and do what he wants as a human being, isn't that what gays argue?

He's allowed to do what he wants. Free speech entitles him to express these opinions but it does not save him from mine. The only way to challenge these beliefs is to deal with them head on. There's a reason why several countries in the world are able to take such a retrograde trajectory on LGBT rights, because people aren't standing up to religious and social conservatism. Russia, Uganda and Nigeria are fine examples of this.

Blaming his country is no excuse and doesn't absolve him from what he's said. He has the choice to think for himself and while it may be illegal to support or spread positive "propaganda" about homosexuality in some countries, in this situation, if he had any decency he'd have said nothing at all.

Anyway, this is going way off piste. Let's take it elsewhere if you want a debate.
Reply 30
Original post by O.Ozz
I know what i was taught.

Sometime, sit down and actually think if what you've been taught is what you should believe.

And if that's what you've been taught about Christianity, it's wrong either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know someone who didn't have the bottle to come out and say it to their parents. So he started wearing really tight denim shorts when in the house. It took his mother a few days to jokingly ask him if he was gay. It gave him the opportunity he needed.

Other than that, there is the sit down with your parents and have a talk strategy. It is daunting, but generally the fears are misplaced and everything is okay in the end.
I'm sick of some closed minded people that happen to be Christians making Christianity look bad, stop trying to use the Bible if you do not understand it.
Saying all those horrible things is not what Christians are meant to do and being gay is not a choice please educate yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by asdfaeth
I'm sick of some closed minded people that happen to be Christians making Christianity look bad, stop trying to use the Bible if you do not understand it.
Saying all those horrible things is not what Christians are meant to do and being gay is not a choice please educate yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile

The bible says that having sex with another man is an abomination so I have no clue why Christian apologists come crying saying that the bible doesn't say so. Newsflash, it does!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Arieisit
The bible says that having sex with another man is an abomination so I have no clue why Christian apologists come crying saying that the bible doesn't say so. Newsflash, it does!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Link it. I dare you.

And I'll dispel it.

(And, first and foremost, the Bible is not considered the word of God )

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mad Vlad
He's allowed to do what he wants. Free speech entitles him to express these opinions but it does not save him from mine. The only way to challenge these beliefs is to deal with them head on. There's a reason why several countries in the world are able to take such a retrograde trajectory on LGBT rights, because people aren't standing up to religious and social conservatism. Russia, Uganda and Nigeria are fine examples of this.

Blaming his country is no excuse and doesn't absolve him from what he's said. He has the choice to think for himself and while it may be illegal to support or spread positive "propaganda" about homosexuality in some countries, in this situation, if he had any decency he'd have said nothing at all.

Anyway, this is going way off piste. Let's take it elsewhere if you want a debate.

Eh? No need to get wound up, fella. You're the one who quoted me before I even saw you. And as you just quoted me I will respond accordingly. Anyway, I'm not saying I agree with the kid, and I never did say, but when you have something as brutal as death for being gay (not saying it's necessary, not saying it's unnecessary), it can corrupt and traumatise and scare someone into thinking something like that is okay. And not saying the kid is right but he's simply speaking from what he was taught based on culture, and no one should apologise for stating their sentiments on a chat forum, as that's what the place is for. I don't understand the superior smug tone some gays and advocates take when in these discussions.
Original post by *Stefan*
Link it. I dare you.

And I'll dispel it.

(And, first and foremost, the Bible is not considered the word of God )

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the bible is not the word of God, then what is? 😂

Leviticus 20:13King James Version (KJV)

13*If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
Reply 37
If the bible is not the word of God, then what is? 😂

Leviticus 20:13King James Version (KJV)

13*If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

We've explained this a thousand times already. Just read the comments -both here and on other threads.

(Leviticus is Old Testament by the way. Not what I (and most Christians) follow)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
We've explained this a thousand times already. Just read the comments -both here and on other threads.

(Leviticus is Old Testament by the way. Not what I (and most Christians) follow)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol Christians are so ridiculous. Always picking and choosing what part of the bible to obey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Lol Christians are so ridiculous. Always picking and choosing what part of the bible to obey.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm. You're evidently unworthy and kind of ignorant to argue with.

Whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending