The Student Room Group

Would you go out with a guy still living with his parents at 26?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by driftawaay
I'm sorry you're a loser and don't like getting called out on it.

no you're prejudice that you think that just because someone lives with their parents that makes them a 'loser'
Original post by NeverTooLatte
Probably not. It's not that he lives at home at that age, it's that he pays no rent! What a cheek! I wouldn't get away with it, that's for sure :smile:

That's the whole point of him living in his moms house...
When reality hits you, you're paying £1000 a month on rent + bills and you're trying to save for a 300k house then you'll wonder why it's easier to just live with parents.
Reply 42
Original post by Kathy127
I've recently been dating this guy. He's really charming and interesting and I quite like him but there's one thing about him that I'm not sure about. I'm 20 and he's 26 and he still lives in his mum's house.

When I asked him about it he said that he earns enough to rent a place of his own but he chooses not to. This made me think that he might be unambitious but he said that he's still living with his mum because he hates the idea of giving away over half his income to a landlord when he can live at home for no rent. He said that why should he give away all his income because, in his words, "the property market is completely retarded" when he can instead just live with his mum.

He doesn't really come across as a mummy's boy but not really sure what to think? Would you go out with a guy still living with his parents at 26?

I made £80,000 in my first year out of uni. During that year I lived with my mum for same reason as your guy friend (even though given my income rent costs basically nothing to me). I would aks him how long he intends to live with his mum though, I think it got to stage where he was past 30 and still at his parents that would be weird.
Yes in fact I like a 26 year old who is living with his parents. He did move away for university and he now has a good job in his hometown - I would actually find it a bit odd if he was renting somewhere else nearby when he could just save up. It also shows he has a good relationship with his family which is attractive.
Original post by jam277
That's the whole point of him living in his moms house...
When reality hits you, you're paying £1000 a month on rent + bills and you're trying to save for a 300k house then you'll wonder why it's easier to just live with parents.

Yeah but to not contribute ANYTHING while working is disgraceful. The whole "point" is to live there cheaper. And besides, like I said, I wouldn't get away with it so the likely hood of getting on with said man inevitably drops lower...
Original post by NeverTooLatte
Yeah but to not contribute ANYTHING while working is disgraceful. The whole "point" is to live there cheaper. And besides, like I said, I wouldn't get away with it so the likely hood of getting on with said man inevitably drops lower...

Well if the mother has paid for the house (assuming she has) then he doesn't need to pay rent? Bills probably are completely negligible and she's probably hoping that he gets a house. I don't fully know the situation though but if I owned a house and my son was working I wouldn't let him pay rent.
Original post by MAINE.
I made £80,000 in my first year out of uni.

How? Genuinely intrigued here as no jobs I know make 80k first year out of university, unless you happen to be an amazing salesman.
Reply 47
Original post by jam277
How? Genuinely intrigued here as no jobs I know make 80k first year out of university, unless you happen to be an amazing salesman.

Investment Banking.
Original post by MAINE.
Investment Banking.

Always thought that was around 40k-50k starting?
Reply 49
Original post by jam277
Always thought that was around 40k-50k starting?

45k base + 5k sign on + 30k bonus = 80k
Original post by Kathy127
I've recently been dating this guy. He's really charming and interesting and I quite like him but there's one thing about him that I'm not sure about. I'm 20 and he's 26 and he still lives in his mum's house.

When I asked him about it he said that he earns enough to rent a place of his own but he chooses not to. This made me think that he might be unambitious but he said that he's still living with his mum because he hates the idea of giving away over half his income to a landlord when he can live at home for no rent. He said that why should he give away all his income because, in his words, "the property market is completely retarded" when he can instead just live with his mum.

He doesn't really come across as a mummy's boy but not really sure what to think? Would you go out with a guy still living with his parents at 26?

I don't think it makes a difference, it makes sense if he's saving on rent in order to for example buy his own place. If his mom cooks his meals for him and basically does everything for him then that is a different story, but actually he makes a pretty logical argument. There really isn't any point giving half his income every month away when he can save that and buy a house earlier.
Reply 51
It depends. Does he do his own laundry? Can he cook? Does he help out with any chores?

The only problem I would have with it that he does none of the above, and once you and he move in together, he'll expect you to do all of them while he plays on his XBOX, because that's how it's always been for him.
If he was living at home and doing nothing to help his mum (be it helping with rent, cooking, cleaning, shopping or whatever), then I think that'd make him a bit of a dick. Otherwise, I'd be more put off by the fact that he refers to things as 'retarded' tbh.
Reply 53
Original post by llys
It depends. Does he do his own laundry? Can he cook? Does he help out with any chores?

The only problem I would have with it that he does none of the above, and once you and he move in together, he'll expect you to do all of them while he plays on his XBOX, because that's how it's always been for him.

yah, at uni I lived in a house with a guy who's parents did everything for him before uni, so we was always messy as s*** and would never do any housework.
Living at home is the best way to save for a mortgage deposit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karl pilkington
no you're prejudice that you think that just because someone lives with their parents that makes them a 'loser'

So you're illiterate as well. Cool. :h:
Reply 56
Original post by jam277
Well if the mother has paid for the house (assuming she has) then he doesn't need to pay rent? Bills probably are completely negligible and she's probably hoping that he gets a house. I don't fully know the situation though but if I owned a house and my son was working I wouldn't let him pay rent.

Hypothetical non rent paying son.
It's not doing him any favours though as he's not learning to budget. Furthermore it is disrespectful not to help out if you have a residual income. The bills are not insignificant if you take things into account like extra groceries, extra use of washing machine especially if a drier is used, extra heating of water for baths and showers, extra toiletries and so on. If the parents don't actually need the money I feel it is actually better to take it and put it in an account to give back later for a house deposit or whatever.

One of our sons works a distance away and so rents a room at another house but comes home most weekends and sometimes pops back midweek (most of his friends are around here). We don't ask him for "rent" but he does bring in extra groceries and pays for odd other items on occasion. it's just respectful, we don't have to ask him..
Original post by Folion
Hypothetical non rent paying son.
It's not doing him any favours though as he's not learning to budget. Furthermore it is disrespectful not to help out if you have a residual income. The bills are not insignificant if you take things into account like extra groceries, extra use of washing machine especially if a drier is used, extra heating of water for baths and showers, extra toiletries and so on. If the parents don't actually need the money I feel it is actually better to take it and put it in an account to give back later for a house deposit or whatever.

Or he could do the same thing and keep it for himself rather than just give it to the parents for them to give it back. Assuming the son is budgeting correctly.

One of our sons works a distance away and so rents a room at another house but comes home most weekends and sometimes pops back midweek (most of his friends are around here). We don't ask him for "rent" but he does bring in extra groceries and pays for odd other items on occasion. it's just respectful, we don't have to ask him..

Yes that's fair enough. If at least he pays for groceries and general items I don't think he should pay for other bills(unless the family are paying rent for the house)
Reply 58
Original post by jam277
Or he could do the same thing and keep it for himself rather than just give it to the parents for them to give it back. Assuming the son is budgeting correctly.

Every case is individual.

If it was a returning child who had lived away for a while but returned to the nest for whatever reason they would most likely understand the practical and financial requirements for running a household. If they were not able to contribute financially they'd probably be respectful enough to help around the house in a hands on sense.

If it was a child who had never left home then there is the strong chance that they would be clueless about the practicalities and costs involved and, in fact, one might be doing them a disservice by not preparing them for the "real" world.

If I took rent from a child and did not need the money I probably wouldn't tell them I was squirreling it away for their future needs.
Original post by jam277

Well that's fine, but in my situation that would never ever happen. I could debate some more points but I'm getting bored now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending