The Student Room Group

Is it okay to apply for permanent jobs knowing you will leave in september?

Hi guys, I've just finished my first year at uni and I'm looking for jobs in my home town. I've applied for a whole bunch but I couldn't find any temporary/summer jobs, all said permanent.

Is this okay? If I got the job and (assuming i couldnt be transferred to a store at uni) could I get in trouble for breach of contract or something?

Also, should I even mention being at Uni at the interview stage or keep it to myself?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by breakeven
Hi guys, I've just finished my first year at uni and I'm looking for jobs in my home town. I've applied for a whole bunch but I couldn't find any temporary/summer jobs, all said permanent.

Is this okay? If I got the job and (assuming i couldnt be transferred to a store at uni) could I get in trouble for breach of contract or something?

Also, should I even mention being at Uni at the interview stage or keep it to myself?

You can either be upfront with the employaer right away or you can take the job if nowhere in the contract is it mentioned that you HAVE to work a certain period of time. First option would be more "good" but the other one works too if you really need a job.
Try this with my employers and you waive your right of your final wage/holiday pay and we succesfully sued ex employees for breach of contract f you leave within 6 months of joining.
Original post by Lil-Sonic
Try this with my employers and you waive your right of your final wage/holiday pay and we succesfully sued ex employees for breach of contract f you leave within 6 months of joining.

How can an employer withhold pay for hours worked? If you've worked the hours then you're legally entitled to be payed for them. Even in fixed term contracts, you can leave before the end of the contract:

https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contracts/renewing-or-ending-a-fixedterm-contract

I've never heard of or experienced employers suing employees for leaving within six months of joining - that's awful, there must be a clause in the contract (I wouldn't sign a contract that included that!). Sometimes jobs just don't turn out to be what you expect and you give your notice and leave - it's very common and I've done it after 4 weeks and another time after 5 months (both permanent positions) and had no problems.

But if it's possible to lose out on wages or even be sued then it'll make me think twice about signing contracts for permanent positions. OP, if it's a low paid job with high staff turnover (e.g. fast food/retail) then I think you'll be okay! Loads of people leave such jobs within weeks/months of starting.
Original post by somethingbeautiful

You can have pay withheld if you have taken more leave than you are due, given your departure before year end, so if you have worked for 6 months but have already taken 20 of your 28 days leave, you will probably owe about 6 days, depending on how leave is calculated in the company.

You are technically in breach of contract is you do not serve out your notice period, but few employers would go to court over that.

I'm afraid that if you left a company when on a permanent contract at 4 weeks and 5 months, it was a mutual decision and they didn't want you either. Employers hiring for permanent contracts usually expect a minimum of 2 years our of an employee.
Reply 5
Yeah, it is fine to do this. As somethingbeautiful said, your circumstances may change which require you to leave the job, or you just might not like it. I've seen people turn up on their first day, go to lunch and never come back! (Though they would miss out on being paid)

To sue someone for leaving sounds absolutely stupid and there must have been other circumstances surrounding that.
Reply 6
Yes. As you are still working your probation period, you would only have to give one or two weeks' notice
Reply 7
So if they ask me in an interview how long I will be there for, or if I'm going back to uni what should I say?
If you're applying for mainstream jobs - retail, restaurants etc. then you can mention you are off to university, but ask if you are able to transfer to a store near your university.
Original post by prophetkid
If you're applying for mainstream jobs - retail, restaurants etc. then you can mention you are off to university, but ask if you are able to transfer to a store near your university.

I agree.
You can also ask if you can stay working there, but only work over christmas/easter/the summer when you are home from uni. Some places let you do this.
Try mcdonalds, they are really flexible with uni etc.
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
You can also ask if you can stay working there, but only work over christmas/easter/the summer when you are home from uni. Some places let you do this.
Try mcdonalds, they are really flexible with uni etc.

Don't listen to this advice about Mcdonalds.

My employers actively reject applicants who have worked in Mcdonalds as A] It's zero hours B]They hire a majority workforce who lack common sense and maturity.C]Anyone can flip burgers and make chips.
Reply 11

My employers actively reject applicants who have worked in Mcdonalds as A] It's zero hours B]They hire a majority workforce who lack common sense and maturity.C]Anyone can flip burgers and make chips.

I actually applied there already. My application was rejected. Dodged a bullet hopefully.

Where do you work exactly?
Mcdonalds isnt what you think it is you know. Its actually a lot harder to work at than people think it is. Ive seen a lot of people who have only lasted a couple of weeks or so because its not what they thought it was and they couldnt hack it. Its not just a case of flipping burgers and making chips there. Theres a lot more to it than you think. Mcdonalds is better than you think it is, for example the progression. At least the people there have a job.
And can i just ask- why would your employers reject applicants from mcdonalds because mcdonalds is zero hours contracts? What has it got to do with where you work? Quite a lot of places do zero hours contracts- does your employers reject them all, just because they work somewhere with a zero hour contract?
you can get 18 months in prison, I wouldn't risk it
Where do you work exactly?
Mcdonalds isnt what you think it is you know. Its actually a lot harder to work at than people think it is. Ive seen a lot of people who have only lasted a couple of weeks or so because its not what they thought it was and they couldnt hack it. Its not just a case of flipping burgers and making chips there. Theres a lot more to it than you think. Mcdonalds is better than you think it is, for example the progression. At least the people there have a job.
And can i just ask- why would your employers reject applicants from mcdonalds because mcdonalds is zero hours contracts? What has it got to do with where you work? Quite a lot of places do zero hours contracts- does your employers reject them all, just because they work somewhere with a zero hour contract?

Yeah because people wish to be promoted to head burger flipper. You prove why we reject them.
It's a bit dickish to do it to your employers, but yes, it shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah because people wish to be promoted to head burger flipper. You prove why we reject them.

Why do i prove why people reject them?
You are narrow minded and you clearly know nothing about working at mcdonalds.
And where do you work exactly that apparently rejects them?
Original post by breakeven
I actually applied there already. My application was rejected. Dodged a bullet hopefully.

Don't listen to them
Why do i prove why people reject them?
You are narrow minded and you clearly know nothing about working at mcdonalds.
And where do you work exactly that apparently rejects them?

Someone clearly butthurted. Also I have the right to remain silent.
Someone clearly butthurted. Also I have the right to remain silent.

Im not bothered about what you have said about my employers- im not defending them or anything. Im just telling the truth and telling it how it is. Its not perfect but neither are many employers. You might have a problem with mcdonalds and people who work/have worked there, but a job is a job at the end of the day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending