The Student Room Group

4A2's vs 3A2's and an EPQ

Hey, Im currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and have to make a decision as to either drop Chemistry and pick up an EPQ, or to not do an EPQ and continue with Chemistry. I am looking at applying to University for a Physics or a Computer Science course and am predicted 4A's for AS.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of each option in terms of applying for university?
Forgot to add that the EPQ will most likely be tied in to a Crest Gold award and will be based on Quantum Computing^^
4 A2s anyday LOL, that's not even a competition, someone with 4 A2s will always look more impressive than someone with 3 A2s and an EPQ. It does depend on what grades you get in those A Levels, and if you really can't manage As/A*s across 4 A2s then maybe 3 A2s and the EPQ is a good idea.
Reply 3
People do EPQs and get near full marks by dedicating 2 weeks in the Summer and backdating everything, so 4A2s if it's a choice of what you think will look better.
Original post by Hareve
Hey, Im currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and have to make a decision as to either drop Chemistry and pick up an EPQ, or to not do an EPQ and continue with Chemistry. I am looking at applying to University for a Physics or a Computer Science course and am predicted 4A's for AS.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of each option in terms of applying for university?

I'd probably have to say 4 A2's even though the topic of epq - quantum computing sounds very intertesting and relevant. I'd have to warn you about chemistry though. Start A2 chem in summer holidays, its a total b****. Will come back to bite you in the a*** near exams if you put it to one side like i did. Trust me, start chemistry over holidays. Best of luck.
Original post by Hareve

Hey I took Maths, Further Maths, and Physics with an EPQ this year and I found that the EPQ was really easy compared to taking another A Level. I got an A* with about the tenth of the work an A Level would have taken. In that respect, I would say taking an EPQ is a good (and lets be real - fairly easy) way to show that you're extending your knowledge beyond the curriculum. As well as this, double maths and physics is a LOT of exams. I'm 4 weeks into my 6 week exam period right now and if I had even more exams to study for I think I would probably collapse from exhaustion (but that's just me).

On the other side of the argument an A2 in Chemistry would be seen as a much higher qualification (rightly so) than the EPQ. It also allows you some breathing room for your offer. Someone I know is taking Maths, Physics, Biology, and Chemistry and their offer is for A*AA so they don't have to worry too much about physics this year (but it helps them with Maths and other subjects too).

That being said I have noticed that universities like UCL and Imperial are actually saying (for some, at least) degrees they prefer you to take 2 AS Levels than an extra A2 as you get a greater breadth of knowledge. And UCL specifically like the EPQ as a qualification (one of the main reasons I chose to do mine).

Hope this helps you make up your mind.

Alex

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending