The Student Room Group

Funding for new course in Scotland after dropping out of second year.

Hi,

So I failed my second year of uni and now am looking to apply for a new course.
I realised that I would have to myself finance my first year of uni before getting a loan again. Now the formula for the amount of years you get supported for is:

Length of new course + extra year - amount of time spent of last course = years left of funding.
So that would be 3+1-2=2 years. Makes sense.

I also read that if you get to directly go into the second year of a course, it still counts as a three year course, and therefore you get the everything loaned.

Now my question is: If I go to a Scottish university, would that same rule apply? Because in theory their courses are 4 years long.

So the formula would be:
4 years + 1 extra year - 2 years already spent = 3 years.
And if i get into second year directly, would that solve my problem?

If it doesn't, does anybody know where I could get 9000 pounds from to pay for my first year? Is there an alternative loan company? Parents isn't an option.
Hi,

Your right, if you go into the 2nd year of a four-year course you'll receive full funding for the duration of the course. If you have to start the course from the beginning you'd still get a maintenance loan for the first year but no tuition fees or grant, then full funding from second year.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi,

Your right, if you go into the 2nd year of a four-year course you'll receive full funding for the duration of the course. If you have to start the course from the beginning you'd still get a maintenance loan for the first year but no tuition fees or grant, then full funding from second year.

Hope this helps.

Excellent. I'l try that then. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending