The Student Room Group

Uni help!

Hey
I asked my firm choice to release me before results day, but they refused saying they can't do anything until I have received my results. They said to call them back when I have my results, however, I've read of stories where uni's take forever to release people on results day, meaning they miss out on clearing places. Should I call them back and insist they release me?
Reply 1
anyone? :smile:
Reply 2
Guessing you don't want to go there? can I ask why?
They can't release you at the moment as UCAS is frozen while it processes Scottish exam results.
UCAS Track will be open again on 4 August. If the Uni are still being silly at that point, phone UCAS.
Reply 4
Original post by Detiri17
Guessing you don't want to go there? can I ask why?

I think I can get into a better university through clearing, why settle for less?!
Reply 5
It would have been easier to have put a higher firm choice in the first place then :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
They can't release you at the moment as UCAS is frozen while it processes Scottish exam results.
UCAS Track will be open again on 4 August. If the Uni are still being silly at that point, phone UCAS.

Alright thanks mate
Original post by CA$H KRAZE
I think I can get into a better university through clearing, why settle for less?!

You want to move up in terms of quality. Why not wait for results day, and if you do better than your firm offer, go into adjustment?
A higher grade requirement doesn't actually mean a 'better course' (whatever you think that is), and it certainly doesn't mean it'll be a course that you will enjoy more or a Uni where you will be any happier.
Original post by CA$H KRAZE
Hey
I asked my firm choice to release me before results day, but they refused saying they can't do anything until I have received my results. They said to call them back when I have my results, however, I've read of stories where uni's take forever to release people on results day, meaning they miss out on clearing places. Should I call them back and insist they release me?

This is the problem with asking for a "release ". They're right they cannot release you - UCAS can only process a release on an applicant that is UF.

DO NOT use the words release, reject or withdraw when you speak to them. Just explain that you want to be placed into Clearing as soon as possible (and by first thing on results day at the latest). You should ask if they need you to confirm this in writing and which email address to write to. Take the full name and job title of the people you speak to.

If you have an insurance you need to repeat the conversation and email follow up with them too.

It's possible that they will not be able/willing to do this before results (the deadline to do this easily was 23 July) but they should be able to arrange it so that it is sorted when Track goes live on the 13. Which is all you need really:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending