The Student Room Group

"Migrant Worker Scheme"

Dear SFE,
I kept asking it on Facebook and Twitter and I even called you, but I am still very worried as my Polish friends do not really cheep me up. So I am a EU student and I would like to apply for Maintenance Loan (or even Grant, if that's possible). A long time ago I was told that it was possible. The criteria to meet were the following:
1. Be here in the UK before 1 September.
2. Work here in the UK for 3 months.
3. My parents income must be low (less than 30000 pounds for 2 years? 15000 pounds per head for 2 years?)
4. I must be working throughout my studies.

And for from June till the end of July I was working 25-40 hours a week so I could cover my house rent later. Then I moved to the town I will be studying and being here I found a temporary job, which is great and I have 6 months probation period, so I feel safe etc. But the matter is that the job is VERY part-time. It's - due to my studies - 5.5 hours a week. A lovely lady from your SFE told me that it is fine, it's enough. But I am really worried. I was told that some people didn't got their loans because their working hours were not enough. I wanted to make sure, my 5.5 hours are enough (for now, I do hope to find later some additional job not to rely only on loan and my poor salary, but I would appreciate if I had not to worry about my current contract now).

Can you please confirm that I should not be worried about my 5.5 hours/week? Because my parents put so much effort in translating their tax reports and the rest of needed documents, as they really want to help me, and I would like not to waste their time and money obviously. And if I happen not to receive financial support (loan?grant?) from SFE, if my circumstances will change, can I re-apply later for the same year?
Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Dear Sir,As far as I kept reading this forum, please correct me if I am wrong,Officially, there is no minimum amount of hours a person have to work to qualify as a migrant worker, isn't it? But in practice you simply reject people who earn too little money, those ones who work for instance 5-8 hours per week? And have around 130 pounds for a month. Can I ask you what is the reason? If a student applies for a support, there is a need for a support then. If I had a proper part-time job with 25-30 hours a week I would not have to apply for a government support, if you know what I mean. I had a nice job before I moved to the city of my uni but now without a timetable it was difficult to find a continous job. I found one but as I said it is only 5.5 hours a week. I am sure it would be considered marginal. I would like not to waste my parents' money so when I will be sending their documents I would like to make sure I send it for a real reason. So basically, either I find another job in September and then there is a point in me applying for maintenance loan later or this is generally unlikely I get it anyway? And can I apply straight away I get a second contract or do I really have to wait another....month? 3 months? I am looking forward to hear from you. Thank you for your time.
Hi Cordeliatte

The rules for being classed as a migrant worker are as follows:

Be EEA or Swiss National

Be resident in the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the start of their course

Be resident in England on the first day of the first academic year

They, their parent/step-parent, or partner must be working throughout their studies

Show they are in employment which is effective and genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or infrequent where they would not be able to support themselves financially

Be working throughout their studies and receive remuneration for this work ie wages, but can also receive ‘pocket money’ for voluntary employment such as ‘Au Pair

Thanks

Reply 3
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi Cordeliatte

The rules for being classed as a migrant worker are as follows:

Be EEA or Swiss National

Be resident in the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the start of their course

Be resident in England on the first day of the first academic year

They, their parent/step-parent, or partner must be working throughout their studies

Show they are in employment which is effective and genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or infrequent where they would not be able to support themselves financially

Be working throughout their studies and receive remuneration for this work ie wages, but can also receive ‘pocket money’ for voluntary employment such as ‘Au Pair

Thanks

Thank you but it didnt answered my questions and struggles. A job done each Sunday, a sales assistant job, 5.5 hours a week would be considered as marginal, wouldnt be? Though officially you do not say when the work is marginal. Where is the border line to be actually eligible to the loan? £120 pounds of salary a month? £400 pounds a month? 600£ a month (which is fine to live off without a loan). I used to earn around 100£ a week and now in my new work I earn little above that but A MONTH. And I am very concerned.
Hi again

There are no set regulations in regards to the amount of hours required to be worked. Once you send in your evidence this will be assessed by the migrant worker team who will look at all the details provided. A decision will then be made for you.

Thanks
Reply 5
Thank you,
I am having just one more question. I have read all the conditions very deeply and I know that the work cannot be related to my course. What if in the third term I have compulsory placement? Obviously I lose my migrant worker status then but if I got the loan and if you paid me already two parts of it, would I have to repay it immediately, would I get into trouble or I would just not receive the third part and that is all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending