The Student Room Group

Anyone else who just doesn't get along with one or both parents?

Hi,

Lately I have come to realize, I just don't get along with my Mum.

My father isn't in the picture, and being nearly 20 years old it is fair to say that I am past the bratty teenage stage, and am an adult.

We literally cannot seem to be in the same room together for longer than 10 minutes without arguing. We have had ferocious arguments every night for the past week I think.

I don't like her as a person. The way she treats certain people, the way she would talks to a shop assistant for example....the list goes on.

Either way, does anyone have a parent that they just simply, don't like as a person?
Reply 1
bump!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Lately I have come to realize, I just don't get along with my Mum.

My father isn't in the picture, and being nearly 20 years old it is fair to say that I am past the bratty teenage stage, and am an adult.

We literally cannot seem to be in the same room together for longer than 10 minutes without arguing. We have had ferocious arguments every night for the past week I think.

I don't like her as a person. The way she treats certain people, the way she would talks to a shop assistant for example....the list goes on.

Either way, does anyone have a parent that they just simply, don't like as a person?

I don't agree with the majority of stuff my dad says, how he treats my family, and his view on things.

We argue a lot of the time but I know as much as we argue he has my best interests at heart and cant help being so, well, horrible. I don't like him as a person but because he's my dad I just put up with it, if that makes sense?
No both my parents are good in different ways. Shame more people don't have parents like mine. :smile:
Original post by chantalc
I don't agree with the majority of stuff my dad says, how he treats my family, and his view on things.

We argue a lot of the time but I know as much as we argue he has my best interests at heart and cant help being so, well, horrible. I don't like him as a person but because he's my dad I just put up with it, if that makes sense?

What do you mean you don't like him as a person? It seems a bit of the blanket statement. Is there anything good about him?
Yeah I really don't get along with my father. We used to have horrendous arguments when I was living at home because he is a typical strict overly-religious father. Now that I'm only there for the holidays we ignore each other for the most part unless he tries to force me into doing something i don't want to. Im very glad to be living away for home, better for my sanity and mental/emotional health.

How is he horrible ? just curious

Sounds like my dad but I don't put up with it any more, I've been pushed too far to deal with all his problems that he projects onto everyone else, and I'm better off for it. I used to feel really guilty about it before though but at the end of the day, I can't rely on him to look out for my mental/emotional well-being
Original post by william walker
What do you mean you don't like him as a person? It seems a bit of the blanket statement. Is there anything good about him?

there is good things about him. He isn't a bad person. I just clash with him on loads of subjects and therefore find it difficult to get along with. I know my dad cares for me and all that, we just don't get along most of the time.
Original post by Anonymous
How is he horrible ? just curious

Sounds like my dad but I don't put up with it any more, I've been pushed too far to deal with all his problems that he projects onto everyone else, and I'm better off for it. I used to feel really guilty about it before though but at the end of the day, I can't rely on him to look out for my mental/emotional well-being

I'd rather not go into detail tbh, feel free to pm me and then I'll be happy to tell you.
No both my parents are good in different ways. Shame more people don't have parents like mine. :smile:

don't think the purpose of this post was to go on about having good parents?
don't think the purpose of this post was to go on about having good parents?

I answered the question posed by the thread. I said no to the question and gave my reasons for saying not.

If the OP wanted a different purpose, they should have asked a different question. :smile:
I answered the question posed by the thread. I said no to the question and gave my reasons for saying not.

If the OP wanted a different purpose, they should have asked a different question. :smile:

👍fair enough.
OP not being sexist, but are you female? I really dislike my dad, and I was told that boys generally dont get along with their dads; While girls don't get on with their mums.
But my dads a pr1ck
I do mostly get along with my mum, but my dad is/was pretty abusive so I don't get along with him.
I simply can't stand my dad, i get along amazingly with my mum (apart from the few petty arguments here and there).
My dad hasn't been in the picture for a while and whenever he tries to contact me he is always drunk. My dad was abusive in the past to my mum especially, which is why I think we have such a close relationship.
Therefore, I can't stand him as a person and I believe I have grown to be a much better person without him. Mdad was abusive in the past to my mum especially, which is why I think we have such a close relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending