The Student Room Group

Siblings moving out :'( advice please

Hi, so my sister is moving abroad for univeristy and I'm gutted! I have 2 elder sisters and one is moving abroad for her studies and the other one is also moving out for univeristy (but she's a hour away by train). We always fight and have our moments but I don't know how I'm going to live without both of them. If I'm feeling sad or anything then I always Just go upto them first. And thinking about the fact that they are not going to be physically with my makes my ball my eyes out. My eldest sister is moving abroad after 2 weekends. Please, if anyone has any tips for me or any personal experiences then please share them!! I can't even type this message without crying so idk how I'm going to cope. Also, just thinking about the fact that it is currently a full house and that after 2 weekends it's just going to be me with my parents makes me depressed.

Also, I think I have seasonal affective disorder (SAD) so if anyone wants to give me some advice on that then it would be highly appreciated.

Thank you if you've made it this far:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so my sister is moving abroad for univeristy and I'm gutted! I have 2 elder sisters and one is moving abroad for her studies and the other one is also moving out for univeristy (but she's a hour away by train). We always fight and have our moments but I don't know how I'm going to live without both of them. If I'm feeling sad or anything then I always Just go upto them first. And thinking about the fact that they are not going to be physically with my makes my ball my eyes out. My eldest sister is moving abroad after 2 weekends. Please, if anyone has any tips for me or any personal experiences then please share them!! I can't even type this message without crying so idk how I'm going to cope. Also, just thinking about the fact that it is currently a full house and that after 2 weekends it's just going to be me with my parents makes me depressed.

Also, I think I have seasonal affective disorder (SAD) so if anyone wants to give me some advice on that then it would be highly appreciated.

Thank you if you've made it this far:smile:

I'm so sorry to hear about this, it does sound pretty intense to have siblings move away in such a short amount of time. Though, this is for their future and that they will be benefiting from this. The thing is they are moving for university so it is not going to be forever and they will be able to come back home for holidays and you could also visit them, aside from this there are other means of communication such as phone calls, video calls, texting etc. At this moment in time you still have a good amount of time with your sister before she moves, so it would be worth going out with her on day trips and spending time with her, after they leave you could take the time to work on things so that your focus is shifted.

Ways to cope for SAD and in general after they move can be through many things, you could spend more time with your parents/ wider family along with your friends and this will naturally boost your energy levels. Other things can be getting more involved in your studies, partaking in clubs, sports, gym and starting new hobbies - you could also get a job to meet new people and save up for fun things to do with your sisters when you meet up in future. Try new things like visiting new places, watching a different movie genre and experiment with cooking along with creative things - but the general idea is to make new memories that you can show your sisters. If you like creative things then maybe try to do a 'wreck- it journal' that will keep you occupied for a while.

In all honesty the moving out thing really isn't that bad, my brother had to move out for uni and I felt really sad at the time, we weren't very close when he left, but afterwards we've gotten along a lot better and we're super close now - as long as you know that they're both happy and safe; you will feel a lot more at ease and it won't be too bad. Good luck to your sisters I hope things work out great for them and I hope you feel better too.
I can defo understand my sis moved out two weeks ago (but she's here for the weekend) and it was really bad.

Everyone always says that it isn't that bad but personally at home I'm kinda quiet and I'm just happy if I'm in the same room as all of my family so not having my sister here is really hard. I'd advise to get all off your sadness out early so that it doesn't leave a scar and tell your parents you're feeling unhappy because they can probs help a little.

I get how it can be uncomfortable just being with your parents so naturally you might spend more time with your friends to avoid your kinda empty home but I would advise that you spend time with your parents and videocall your sisters loads (maybe get them to tutor you like my sister is) because the worst thing would be to drift apart. BE NICE TO THEM WHILE YOU CAN

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending