The Student Room Group

How best to request more hours at work?

Hello all, this is my first time posting to TheStudentRoom and I hope that you can all be of help to me.

So I've recently (about a month and a half ago) been employed by Savoy Cinema in Northamptonshire, and whilst I love the job, I'm working part-time as I am finishing my A-Levels.

Throughout the summer holiday I was getting between 14 - 21 hours per week, but I've just received my first rota for after the summer holidays and have noted I'm only working 6 hours! Panic!

It should be noted I love work, and enjoy working there, and working 21+ hours is ideal for me, anything less becomes a struggle to save money. So I was hoping to chance by some advice from you lovely people.

Is this nothing to worry about? Should I see whether the hours increase again on my next weekly rota? Or should I ask my manager to give me more hours, if so how best would I do this?

Thank you for your help,

Antony W.
Original post by heyitsantony
Should I see whether the hours increase again on my next weekly rota? Or should I ask my manager to give me more hours, if so how best would I do this?

You are right to be cautious, 'cos Managers really hate staff who say 'Boss, I really love this job and I hope I'm doing well at it. I noticed that my hours have gone down now the summer holiday rush is over, but if there's any chance to do more hours, please let me know, because I'm keen to do more'. :wink:
next to the jesus army lel. just ask your manager for overtime, be direct about it babez I believe in u
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, welcome.

I would talk to the manager and ask if there were any extra hours available, if so could you have them, be polite.
Also I would also ask if there was anyway to get more hours regularly, tell him/her how many hours you would like.
It could be the case that there isn't enough hours to give you more, if so theres no harm in looking for a different job offering more hours regularly if you need the hours desperatly. :smile:
Overtime?

I only work 12 hours and reject extra hours when my managers beg me lmao
Original post by heyitsantony
Hello all, this is my first time posting to TheStudentRoom and I hope that you can all be of help to me.

So I've recently (about a month and a half ago) been employed by Savoy Cinema in Northamptonshire, and whilst I love the job, I'm working part-time as I am finishing my A-Levels.

Throughout the summer holiday I was getting between 14 - 21 hours per week, but I've just received my first rota for after the summer holidays and have noted I'm only working 6 hours! Panic!

It should be noted I love work, and enjoy working there, and working 21+ hours is ideal for me, anything less becomes a struggle to save money. So I was hoping to chance by some advice from you lovely people.

Is this nothing to worry about? Should I see whether the hours increase again on my next weekly rota? Or should I ask my manager to give me more hours, if so how best would I do this?

Thank you for your help,

Antony W.

Speak to the manager who does the schedule and see what they say. Be polite about it etc.
Hopefully they should accommodate it.
Reply 6
Thank you for all of the feedback guys!

In fairness this probably is just such a small thing that I could simply ask about, but I have like this overwhelming fear about asking people for things, and that's amplified when my manager has a tendency to be a bit patronising!

Thank you all regardless :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending