The Student Room Group

Sensible Weight Loss (and general image-ness)

I'm pretty unhealthy and unhappy with the way I look. It'd be nice to change it overnight, but thats not possible, so I figure if I can work out a sensible target I can aim for that and ultimately improve my images.

This is inconjunction with changing my clothes and hair, mainly because I've realised that I stick out like a sore thumb on photos of nights out. I've got no sense of style, look ugly and seem to be double the size of everyone else.

This topic isn't to complain though, thats the hand I've been given, and I've finally realised that the best attitude to take is one of improving myself so I'm happy with the way I look.

I'm opening myself up to all kinds of abuse here, but I've decided to post a photo of me to illustrate my point here - removed - the main reason being that every time I see one of these 'I'm Ugly' topics, no one ever posts a photo and its very difficult to offer advice. I've obscured the person next to me as much as possible, to further avoid being identified. I'm going to remove the photo at some point though just in case :smile:

Anyway, my main question is how do you keep motivated when all your friends are stereotypically pretty? I'm not under the illusion that I'll suddenly become one of them, but when your the ugly duckling in every photo how do you not get a little down about it?

Secondly, My first plan is some sensible weight loss. I've tried before, but never really had much encouragement. This time, I'm going to set myself a target and get some scales to try and work towards it weekly. How much can I reasonably expect to lose a week in pounds? I've heard 2 which is fair enough, however, I drink a bottle of coke pretty much every day, so if I changed to drinking water, theres 2 pounds a week right there. If I exercise every day (although only to the extent of a 2 mile walk or something similar) and cut my actual diet down as well (to take out most of the fatty foods/takeaway I eat), how much is reasonable?

Thanks for listening to my rantings, and I welcome your comments, both good and (I'm certain :smile:) bad.

Dave
Reply 1
Hi Dave,

When I was younger, I was a fat blimp with ugly NHS style glasses. Never bothered me. Then one day, I had the same feeling as you, and decided I wanted out. So I went on a diet, slimmed down two dress sizes, bought lots of new clothes, funky new specs, and I look so much better now. Also now happily in love. :smile:

My point is, if you really want to change, it can happen. You just need to reach the point where you really want it, and don't just half-heartedly want to look a little bit different.

2lb a week is definitely a realistic target - I think even a touch more, because you're male.

Do you drink? I ask because not many blokes realise how many calories there are in beer! If you do drink, cutting down will help cut out some calories straight away. Swapping regular coke for diet coke, or better still water, is another easy yet good change.

I think the trick is to not do too much too soon.

Swapping unhealthy snacks for smaller unhealthy snacks, then eventually not having any...

Cutting down on portion size... Replacing chips for boiled potatoes... Not putting butter on your toast... Swapping white bread for wholemeal...

Small changes add up quickly, and the slower you ease yourself into a new diet, the more likely you are to stick to it.

Doing more exercise is great.

Curly hair is cute, and you have great skin. I think you have quite a typical 'baby face' look, and if you lose a little bit of weight, that'll all change.

But you definitely don't look as bad you think you do!

I wouldn't go for you purely because I'm madly in love with my current boyfriend.

I think now I've slimmed down, I'm reasonably pretty - but that said, I do know quite a few girls who are 'model pretty', so obviously I'm onto a loser there. There's always someone who's better looking... That's how it works.

Thing to remember is that being sexy is all about confidence - looks only have a small part to do with it.

Congratulations on deciding to take some positive action - and I wish you the best of luck. If you want it enough, it'll happen. :biggrin:

F xx

Latest

Trending

Trending