The Student Room Group

What are your go to foods when dieting?

Scroll to see replies

Chicken breast. I'm showing my race here but I truely love the stuff.
For breakfast: oatmeal with cinnamon and a blueberry compote
Reply 22
Original post by sleepysnooze
dust is my food and tears are my drink

doesn't sound very healthy 0_0
Original post by z33
doesn't sound very healthy 0_0

it's perfectly healthy - I learned about it from marjory dawes from fat fighters. if she says it, it's got to be true

as for the tears, well, that's just my own idea - dieting makes me sad, so I cry, but then that becomes my drink
Reply 24
Original post by sleepysnooze
it's perfectly healthy - I learned about it from marjory dawes from fat fighters. if she says it, it's got to be true

as for the tears, well, that's just my own idea - dieting makes me sad, so I cry, but then that becomes my drink

well i'll tell you that lady doesn't look like she lives on dust XD

well... recycling is the way to go i guess :tongue:
Reply 25
Original post by WoodyMKC
Rice cakes smothered in TheProteinWorks 0 calorie maple syrup.

What's the taste like? I always see CJ downing that 0 cal Walden farms **** but didn't know you could get anything similar in the UK! :biggrin:
Original post by Sae.HH
What's the taste like? I always see CJ downing that 0 cal Walden farms **** but didn't know you could get anything similar in the UK! :biggrin:

It's decent actually, very runny but pretty sweet. You can get the Walden's Farms stuff on MuscleFood, their chocolate and caramel sauces aren't bad but the pancake syrup tastes like what I imagine singed ass hair would taste like :lol:
Reply 27
It's decent actually, very runny but pretty sweet. You can get the Walden's Farms stuff on MuscleFood, their chocolate and caramel sauces aren't bad but the pancake syrup tastes like what I imagine singed ass hair would taste like :lol:

Cheers man, will have to take a look! The way CJ talks about them you'd think it was liquid gold :ahee:
Any kind of fruit tends to help kerb my cravings and drinking enough water.

This stuff has zero calories?
Original post by Sae.HH
Cheers man, will have to take a look! The way CJ talks about them you'd think it was liquid gold :ahee:

They're really nothing special, but when you're cutting it just feels like winning knowing you can have as much of it as you like :biggrin:
Original post by xobeauty
This stuff has zero calories?

Indeed :smile: The taste doesn't quite match up to the real thing but still decent and needs must.
Brown toast and olive oil... with a bit of chilli thrown in there.
Not big on the whole cooking thing if I don't have to :tongue:
I eat plenty of carbs while cutting, doesn't stop me dropping almost a stone per month. The whole insulin response idea has been shown time and time again to not hold much merit where most types of food spike insulin, and the need for usable energy overrides the tendency to store calories subsequent to an insulin spike.

I don't know wtf you're talking about. Glycogen as a polyasscharide of sugar as opposed to fat trains your body to be inefficient at using energy. Plus, glycogen is definitely not necessary in cellular reproduction. You can lose weight by eating McDonalds everyday but in a mere inefficient way
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GeologyMaths
I don't know wtf you're talking about. Glycogen as a polyasscharide of sugar as opposed to fat trains your body to be inefficient at using energy. Plus, glycogen is definitely not necessary in cellular reproduction. You can lose weight by eating McDonalds everyday but in a mere inefficient way

How would it be innefficient if you're losing weight, if it's working? While overall weight loss may be faster in a keto diet compared to a diet with carbs of the same daily caloric content, that's not always a good thing. The extra weight loss is mostly going to come from the breakdown of proteins (i.e. muscle) - in most cases, this wouldn't be desirable. For a start, more muscular weight means a higher TDEE and a more healthy looking figure.

If your goal is to make a certain weight on the scales quickly then a keto diet is worth a shout, but for general purpose fat loss to look good, extreme dieting is unnecessary and, for many, hard to stick to.
How would it be innefficient if you're losing weight, if it's working? While overall weight loss may be faster in a keto diet compared to a diet with carbs of the same daily caloric content, that's not always a good thing. The extra weight loss is mostly going to come from the breakdown of proteins (i.e. muscle) - in most cases, this wouldn't be desirable. For a start, more muscular weight means a higher TDEE and a more healthy looking figure.

If your goal is to make a certain weight on the scales quickly then a keto diet is worth a shout, but for general purpose fat loss to look good, extreme dieting is unnecessary and, for many, hard to stick to.

Ketogenic diet isn't extreme?! You must think it's the same a protein sparring diets or 1000 kcal a day diets lol. I'm able to eat 2000 calories at no more than 50g of carbs, and cycle everyday and go gym - I don't look like Ronny Wesley. Please enlighten me on the science correlating muscle loss to KDs assuming there is no calorific surplus. One is merely replacing carbs with fat which are both energy sources. Sugar is inefficient as far as weight loss is concerned. High glycemic food such as white rice spikes your insulin levels and therefore trains your body to rely solely on it. If you tell a newbie to eat a HCLF diet, they'll take that as a excuse to eat grapes, pasta, white rice and anything that is easy for the body as far as energy consumption is concerned. http://www.popsugar.co.uk/fitness/Study-People-Who-Eat-More-Foods-Lose-Most-Weight-38411073
Ketogenic diet isn't extreme?! You must think it's the same a protein sparring diets or 1000 kcal a day diets lol. I'm able to eat 2000 calories at no more than 50g of carbs, and cycle everyday and go gym - I don't look like Ronny Wesley. Please enlighten me on the science correlating muscle loss to KDs assuming there is no calorific surplus. One is merely replacing carbs with fat which are both energy sources. Sugar is inefficient as far as weight loss is concerned. High glycemic food such as white rice spikes your insulin levels and therefore trains your body to rely solely on it. If you tell a newbie to eat a HCLF diet, they'll take that as a excuse to eat grapes, pasta, white rice and anything that is easy for the body as far as energy consumption is concerned. http://www.popsugar.co.uk/fitness/Study-People-Who-Eat-More-Foods-Lose-Most-Weight-38411073

Nope I'm not, but cutting out an entire macronutrient from your diet is extreme.
Well, for a start, the body needs glucose and glycogen - where does this come from in the absence of carbs/glucose? Glucogeneosis. Namely, the breakdown of proteins (muscle tissue) into amino acids to be converted to glucose.
Nope I'm not, but cutting out an entire macronutrient from your diet is extreme.
Well, for a start, the body needs glucose and glycogen - where does this come from in the absence of carbs/glucose? Glucogeneosis. Namely, the breakdown of proteins (muscle tissue) into amino acids to be converted to glucose.

You got something right but not quite right. As I said PSMF isn't the same as KD. There are unavoidable correlations with PSMF and glycogeneogensis - that's obvious. Carbs are not pivotal for humans, and whilst amino acids are essentially the building blocks of life, glucose and fatty acids aid in cellular respiration. But when you exclude all fat from your diet, you are left with all sorts of health problems. You take carbs out, your body adapts to ketones bodies and apart from the usual you experience from drastically changing your diet, there are no long term side effects. I suggest you read up on 'ketones' before making the assumption KD is extreme. In addition, ketogenic diet doesn't cut carbs completely per se - you're getting it mixed up with 0 carb extreme diet that anorexic girls do. I take in 50g of carbs and fibre constitute to 80% of my polyasscharide intake.
You got something right but not quite right. As I said PSMF isn't the same as KD. There are unavoidable correlations with PSMF and glycogeneogensis - that's obvious. Carbs are not pivotal for humans, and whilst amino acids are essentially the building blocks of life, glucose and fatty acids aid in cellular respiration. But when you exclude all fat from your diet, you are left with all sorts of health problems. You take carbs out, your body adapts to ketones bodies and apart from the usual you experience from drastically changing your diet, there are no long term side effects. I suggest you read up on 'ketones' before making the assumption KD is extreme. In addition, ketogenic diet doesn't cut carbs completely per se - you're getting it mixed up with 0 carb extreme diet that anorexic girls do. I take in 50g of carbs and fibre constitute to 80% of my polyasscharide intake.

I'm very aware of what both a a ketogenic and PSMF diet is, thanks, as well as what ketones are and how they're utilised. However, 50g of carbs per day isn't a sufficient supply for all of the bodies needs for glucose or glycogen. Why would the body need to go into ketogenesis in the first place is it was? That's the whole idea behind KDs. Since glycogen levels on a keto diet are low, the body will convert aminos to glucose which will come from dietary protein, amino acids from the cellular amino acid pool, and from muscle tissue. The latter situation is where one would experience muscle loss. Dietary protein would be sacrificed for ATP production and the depleted amino acid pool would not bode well for protein synthesis rates, thus causing a net loss in muscle mass.
As I said, cutting out an entire macronutrient, i.e. carbs in this case, is extreme. The average person would have a tough time almost cutting out carbohydrates altogether, and personally I see it as unnecessary when a standard lowering of total caloric intake will do the trick.
Reply 39
Just starve yourself tbh. Lost 8kg in 10 weeks at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest