The Student Room Group

HELP! Uni application confusion

Hi everyone, would just like to ask for some guidance/advice as I am a bit confused as to what to do. So basically, in my first year of AS Level, I did Biology, Psychology, Chemistry and Geography. I dropped Chemistry after a term, and got expelled from my school. I then missed my Psychology and Geography exams. It was a disaster of a year, ending with 3 U's. I then re-sat Psy, Geo and Bio on top of AS Geology and got a DEEU respectively.
This year, I've re-sat AS Levels AGAIN and did A2's in Biology, Geography and Psychology. I have not applied for University yet as I couldn't do anything with a D and 2 E's.
Most of my exams are now done, and I'm predicting something along the lines of CCD overall, leaving me with around about 200 UCAS points.

My question is, what should I do? I want to do neuroscience, but I'm aware this is almost impossible. Most Uni's require 2 hard science subjects, and a B in at least one hard science. I saw that Keele Uni do a Science Foundation year with entry requirements of 160 UCAS points, which would then allow me to do a neruoscience degree. Is this too good to be true? I mean, even if I re-sat my A Levels to get better grades I can't change subjects so therefore can't do the required subjects to do a neruoscience degree.

Thanks
Original post by smogo
Is this too good to be true?

In short, no, it isn't too good to be true. Foundation years exist to give people who didn't get the right grades or who studied the wrong subjects a second chance.

As you have already resat your A levels once, I don't think there's much point doing them again. Applying for a foundation year sounds like a very good idea. Do you plan on taking gap year and applying for 2017 entry, or do you want send a (very late) application for this year's entry?
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
In short, no, it isn't too good to be true. Foundation years exist to give people who didn't get the right grades or who studied the wrong subjects a second chance.

As you have already resat your A levels once, I don't think there's much point doing them again. Applying for a foundation year sounds like a very good idea. Do you plan on taking gap year and applying for 2017 entry, or do you want send a (very late) application for this year's entry?

Hi, thanks for the reply! What would you recommend? Is there a chance of applying this year with DEEU at AS Level?
The reason I asked if it was too good to be true was because I am nowhere near the requirements needed to do a neuroscience degree at Keele - but with the foundation year this makes it possible... Surely this will just cause lots of people to simply take the foundation year as an easy route through to such a complicated degree. Also, what is the purpose of re-sitting A Levels if one could simply enter a foundation year and do a neuroscience degree much easier?

EDIT: For example, you could get D's in completely unrelated A Levels yet still apply for a foundation course in Science if you have over 120 UCAS points, to then do neuroscience, as oppose to getting an AAB in Biology and Chemistry? I just can't believe it haha
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by smogo
Hi, thanks for the reply! What would you recommend? Is there a chance of applying this year with DEEU at AS Level?
The reason I asked if it was too good to be true was because I am nowhere near the requirements needed to do a neuroscience degree at Keele - but with the foundation year this makes it possible... Surely this will just cause lots of people to simply take the foundation year as an easy route through to such a complicated degree. Also, what is the purpose of re-sitting A Levels if one could simply enter a foundation year and do a neuroscience degree much easier?

EDIT: For example, you could get D's in completely unrelated A Levels yet still apply for a foundation course in Science if you have over 120 UCAS points, to then do neuroscience, as oppose to getting an AAB in Biology and Chemistry? I just can't believe it haha

I think there's a chance they'd accept you, yes. I think the latest you can apply is June 30th, after that your application goes straight into Clearing. Can you organise a reference and write a good personal statement in time?

Of course there's a fair chance that they won't have any places left so I suggest you phone (don't bother with email, it takes too long) Keele's admission tutors ASAP and ask if they have any spaces left and whether they'd consider a late application. A number of other universities do science foundation years too, would you apply to them or do only want to go to Keele?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending