The Student Room Group

Opinions on arranged marriages

First let's establish the difference between arranged and forced marriages...

Forced is when one or both parties don't want to marry but feel they have not got a choice. Sometimes they are scared for their safety eg honour killings so do as they are told by who they see as figures of authority eg parents.

Arranged marriages is when both parties are willing to marry so may ask figures of authority to set them up. Both parties are willing and want to marry.

I want to ask what do you think about ARRANGED MARRIAGES? And what would you think/ do if you're friend told you that they want an arranged marriage?
Reply 1
if there both up for it and happy with the agreement then whhy not?
Reply 2
If my friend told me that he/she wants to have an arranged marriage, I'd support them because essentially it's their decision. Sometimes it's probably for the best because some people find it difficult to find somebody on their own or find it difficult to approach people themselves so getting an introduction can sometimes be better for others.
I prefer to find my own guy but if I didn't find a good man with true qualities then I wouldn't mind friends or families recommending me to someone who also has similar intentions! So I have nothing against arranged marriages..I also think it's important to get to know the person before marriage and not after like in some cultures
(edited 7 years ago)
If everyone involved is cool with it, I don't see the problem
no
thank
you

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
no
thank
you

Spoiler

At the end of the day, you have the final say in the matter.
So even if your parents decide to pick a guy/girl for you, it's you that will choose to either accept or reject them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
At the end of the day, you have the final say in the matter.
So even if your parents decide to pick a guy/girl for you, it's you that will choose to either accept or reject them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yusss

Spoiler

Original post by Bham369

I want to ask what do you think about ARRANGED MARRIAGES?

I think it's a poor method for mate selection.

And what would you think/ do if you're friend told you that they want an arranged marriage?

I would feel privately disappointed to discover that they're so limited in their thinking, but they're entitled to make decisions for themselves, however silly they may be.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending