The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Reply 1
Maybe it's because York University is relatively small and doesn't teach 2 major subjects, law and medicine (although it is due to start teaching law soon, along with dentistry and Film/TV).

Although some subjects at York demand relatively high grades, not all do.

Having studied philosophy at York University for a year, I found the place to be soulless. The university seems to have spent next to nothing doing up the very dated 1960s accommodation and interiors, Central Hall is often host to classical music but not pop music (since the Boomtown Rats 'riot' in the 1980s) and I left convinced that the students there were less intelligent and rounded than those at Leicester University, where I also did a year- and Leicester campus and halls were far more picturesque. The lecturers, who they constantly claim are second only to Cambridge, were generally unapproachable.

I have to say that the lake is a very nice feature and it probably has the best computer science building in the country and the city of York is arguably the finest ancient city in the UK (though Durham is great too) bit . if you don't get into a nice clique, the place can be hell on earth as it was for me.
University of York
York
Reply 2
It is respected for Comp Science.
Reply 3
I've no idea about the History and Politics departments, but the Electronics department is certainly well respected. The percentage of students going into employment/further education is very high (in the high 90's I believe) - I have just graduated in Electronic Engineering and recently received two job offers, although not in IB/big 4.
Reply 4
Yes sorry just to clarify I am not saying that it is not well repsected . It definatly is and I agree it is a Top 10 institution in this conntry just that maybe it does not get the respect it deserves.
Reply 5
Picnico
. if you don't get into a nice clique, the place can be hell on earth as it was for me.

What exactly happened to you?
Reply 6
Because you sit in the IB forum and listen to people who think they know what they're talking about.

York is definitely target Big Four and IB is certainly not out of reach.
Reply 7
aaaaz, totally agree.
Reply 8
IB is in reach, a lot of people just don't seem to want to go there. Most of the economics guys last year went into the big four or other accountancy firms. On the IB forum people love to tell you which uni will let you in etc. If you have A's at a-level and are on for a first, you will get an interview. (i know loads of people say this but i've got friends who are bond and commodities traders who came from York.)
Reply 9
aaaaz
Because you sit in the IB forum and listen to people who think they know what they're talking about.

York is definitely target Big Four and IB is certainly not out of reach.

haha well your location says "everywhere atm" and it appears you are aware of my regular ports of call on TSR! I got AAAa at A level and have already got about 8 months experience altogether in asset management and corp fin in my gap year so I should perhaps learn to not be such a worrier and believe in myself abit more!
Reply 10
York generally IS respected. Perhaps a little less so than some top Unis, but a York degree is easily good enough to hit the top end of the jobs market, providing it's a good classification. And History and Politics are the subjects it is probably most respected for - the History department in particular is well known for being exceptional.
Reply 11
History at York is indeed exceptional. All the historians I know are very well read, articulate, intelligent so you guys will be joining a great bunch! Simon123 could I make a personal request that you change the title of the post? It's just I feel it will spook the prospective students if they read something like that. Not personal or anything it's just a bit disparaging. I just feel we all need to work together to give York the rep it deserves!! :smile:

P.S awesome experience you've got there! I working at a stock broker this summer, what was asset management like? What did you do? I'm intrigued.
Picnico
Maybe it's because York University is relatively small and doesn't teach 2 major subjects, law and medicine (although it is due to start teaching law soon, along with dentistry and Film/TV).

Although some subjects at York demand relatively high grades, not all do.

Having studied philosophy at York University for a year, I found the place to be soulless. The university seems to have spent next to nothing doing up the very dated 1960s accommodation and interiors, Central Hall is often host to classical music but not pop music (since the Boomtown Rats 'riot' in the 1980s) and I left convinced that the students there were less intelligent and rounded than those at Leicester University, where I also did a year- and Leicester campus and halls were far more picturesque. The lecturers, who they constantly claim are second only to Cambridge, were generally unapproachable.

I have to say that the lake is a very nice feature and it probably has the best computer science building in the country and the city of York is arguably the finest ancient city in the UK (though Durham is great too) bit . if you don't get into a nice clique, the place can be hell on earth as it was for me.
Just one error I'm going to point out there - York does offer medicine at the Hull York Medical School run jointly between the Universities of York and Hull. The York part of the med school is situated right on main Heslington campus.
Reply 13
Da_Head
History at York is indeed exceptional. All the historians I know are very well read, articulate, intelligent so you guys will be joining a great bunch! Simon123 could I make a personal request that you change the title of the post? It's just I feel it will spook the prospective students if they read something like that. Not personal or anything it's just a bit disparaging. I just feel we all need to work together to give York the rep it deserves!! :smile:

P.S awesome experience you've got there! I working at a stock broker this summer, what was asset management like? What did you do? I'm intrigued.

Yes I will indeed change the title it probably is just a tad downbeat on reflection, but could someone please guide me as to how I actually do this!

In terms of asset management it was quite a small place I actually worked at they had private clients and they also acted as fund manager for an investment trust, they have around £250mil under management in total. However it was essentially the investment manager that did all the stock picking but he took a great liking to me so I actually got to do quite a lot of things. I essentially worked with the asset manager to find stocks, so fundemental analysis and also some sector analysis. Also if he was going to go and meet with a company I would put together research on the company for him. It was mostly directed by him e.g "what do you think of stock X Y and Z" but not to blow my own trumpet I made some pretty good calls, I just wish I had put some money into them myself!
Reply 14
If you click edit post on the top post it gives you the option to change the title i think, if not just click around the options and i'm sure you'll find out.

That sounds pretty cool, the broker I'm working at does discretionary portfolio management so hopefully, if I make a good impression they might let me research and do some fundamental analysis! Do you have any tips on how to get into the "good books" ? I've done work experience with IT firms but everyone was quite rough around the edges but the people who work at the broker seem much more polished!
Reply 15
Da_Head
If you click edit post on the top post it gives you the option to change the title i think, if not just click around the options and i'm sure you'll find out.

That sounds pretty cool, the broker I'm working at does discretionary portfolio management so hopefully, if I make a good impression they might let me research and do some fundamental analysis! Do you have any tips on how to get into the "good books" ? I've done work experience with IT firms but everyone was quite rough around the edges but the people who work at the broker seem much more polished!

Well where I worked I kind of started of doing pretty boring stuff but then the analyst there got sacked so the Investment Manager just threw a few things at me and was impressed and it built from there. In terms of advise; whatever you are currently doing, just make sure you are doing it absolutly at the top of your game that goes without saying. Also discuss whats going on in the markets with your fellow brokers I am guessing you have decent knowledge of that kind of stuff having got the job in the first place. Just chuck some comments in now and again if some RNS comes up about companys on your screen e.g retailers - there looks like theres going to be pretty poor results accross the board so if a retailer comes out with results just make a comment on it " interest rates and the unbelievable weather look like they really are knocking consumer spending and retailors accross the board", if the market is getting hit, or surging, just make comments show that you know what your talking about. Like at the moment the DOW is at an all time high, good comments will be along the lines of the market seems to just keep shaking of worries in credit markets, excess liquidity still there blablabla you get the idea. If you can buildup a good rappore with the brokers show that you know what you are talking about you could ask them if they would reccomend you to have a switch to the research side for a few weeks as you really want to get a flavour of that side of the business as well.

Where I am working at the moment in Corp Finance at a much larger company someone there was in back office to start with on a year in industry. They got to know someone in there, they got promoted and so she mentioned that he was also good so he is now interning in FO with me. Just an example if you can show your good and they like you then they will reccommend you.
Reply 16
one reason is probably the lower entry standards. getting into york is not as competitive as at places such as the more respected places.
Reply 17
aqfrenzy
one reason is probably the lower entry standards. getting into york is not as competitive as at places such as the more respected places.

yeah I kind of agree with this to an extent. In some subjects they need to raise their game to up the general rep of the uni. However for History/Politics it was AAB with A in history, which is harder than Nottingham was.
Reply 18
Cheers simon123, good sounding advice there. Where are you working/interning at the moment? (Private Message if worried about googling etc). It's interesting you're taking History & Politics when you have a passion for/good knowledge of finance, is it you are trying to work a different angle? (compared to all those Economics undergrads like me lol) :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending