The Student Room Group

Would it be fine to have reference form tutor who hasn't known you long?

If a tutor has only known you have about 5 or 6 weeks, would it be fine with UCAS and university for them to write a reference? I think the tutor would be fine with it.
Original post by moon4
If a tutor has only known you have about 5 or 6 weeks, would it be fine with UCAS and university for them to write a reference? I think the tutor would be fine with it.

Our school has got random teachers to do our references. In some cases the teachers know us well, others don't know us at all, so it shouldn't matter if they write your reference.
Reply 2
Original post by miless090
Our school has got random teachers to do our references. In some cases the teachers know us well, others don't know us at all, so it shouldn't matter if they write your reference.

Really! How can a tutor write a reference if they do not know you at all? How do they know what to write about about you?
Universities do not care if the teacher has known you for 1 day they just need to see a reference. I assume this teacher will just write you all a lovely reference unless you have done something extreme, you'll be fine
Reply 4
Original post by moon4

This is the case with everyone on my course! I think the Uni just need a reference and are not too fussed about how long the tutor has known you. I would think that 6 weeks would be long enough to get a feel for who you are and your work ethic.
Reply 5
In our college, the references get checked and re-written by the admissions lady in an office so half of it isn't even teacher written for us!
At my college, each of our subject teacher's has a paragraph on how you do in that subject and stuff, then our form tutor compiles them together and asks us about our career aspirations etc to add in a general closing paragraph.
Presumably the tutor is experienced in writing references and is ok with probiding you with one? If so, then yes, although they will be limited in what they can say. An experienced reference writer can find ways round that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending