The Student Room Group

Dropping a subject and anxiety

I am currently in my first year of Sixth Form doing my AS. At my college I do 4 AS-levels but my anxiety is getting really bad again. I have also in the past suffered with depression and I'm worried about having a relapse. I was wondering of their was anyway I could drop a subject now for medical reasons. This is because if I don't I fear that I will end up dropping out which is something I don't want to do.
Reply 1
Original post by Ash-Lia
I am currently in my first year of Sixth Form doing my AS. At my college I do 4 AS-levels but my anxiety is getting really bad again. I have also in the past suffered with depression and I'm worried about having a relapse. I was wondering of their was anyway I could drop a subject now for medical reasons. This is because if I don't I fear that I will end up dropping out which is something I don't want to do.

I highly recommend that you should only do 3 AS Levels.
Reply 2
Original post by AshEntropy
I highly recommend that you should only do 3 AS Levels.

My college says that I can't. If it was a medical reason, would I be able to?
Reply 3
Original post by Ash-Lia
My college says that I can't. If it was a medical reason, would I be able to?

You should be able to...
I don't understand why colleges insist on people taking 4 AS Levels, universities only look at 3..
Reply 4
Original post by AshEntropy
You should be able to...
I don't understand why colleges insist on people taking 4 AS Levels, universities only look at 3..

I thought the same thing cause I thought wouldn't it be better focussing only on the 3 you want to carry on for the whole 2 years instead of 4 then dropping 1
At my sixth form, we all initially had to take four AS levels, but after about the first week they told us we could drop one if we wanted. Apparently the only reason we are advised to take four is if we get a U in one of them then we can drop it and do the others at A level next year because Unis only look for three. I have now dropped to three and I have more free periods so more study time etc.
So yeah, you should be allowed to, especially for a medical reason.

Quick Reply

Latest