The Student Room Group

My journey to improve my GRADES

Hey!:smile:This is my first time trying this, so i'm new to starting a thread on TSR. Usually I just browse this website to get motivated by looking at other people's threads on how they're revising.
I'm not expecting any responses but this is just so i can write down what I've done and what I need to do so i can improve.
Hopefully doing this will be helpful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So the Christmas Holiday has started On Tuesday 20th December and I'm going back to school Tuesday 2nd/3rd January. So I didn't do much on Tuesday and Wednesday (clearly procrastination is a HUGE problem here) and so I definitely need to put my head down and start working hard. I also have a project to complete, a dissertation, as well as revise AS and what we've done in A2 so far.
So that's the overview of what my holiday is going to entail.

Today is Thursday 22nd December and I am going to write a list of things i need to do today. At the end of the day I will update this blog and state what i did in the day. So I need to:
-Complete Topic 1 Biology Notes
-Do some EPQ work( Extended Project Qualification?
I actually think i forgot to talk about what subjects I'm doing. My A-Level subjects include A-LEVEL Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies and EPQ.
So I will update Tonight what I've done!:smile::smile:. See ya! (if anyone is actually there, probably not:biggrin:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey, take a look at my thread good luck xx https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4228678
Reply 3
You won't be able to do it.. Forget that journey...

Many haters will tell you that, prove them WRONG

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey, take a look at my thread good luck xx https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4228678

Hey! I checked out your thread and i'll definitely be using it to motivate myself. You seem really dedicated so good luck to you too!:smile:
Original post by Tima.H
Hey! I checked out your thread and i'll definitely be using it to motivate myself. You seem really dedicated so good luck to you too!:smile:

Aw thank you xx
Reply 6
So yesterday, Thursday 22nd December I completed my topic 1 notes and I'm relieved that's over. Though I have topics 2,3 and 4 for Edexcel Biology. I didn't get to do any EPQ work yesterday but by the time I finished those notes (which was at 10 pm) my thumb was in a lot of pain:biggrin:
Today is Friday and I want to complete my 18 sources for EPQ, though I know I probably won't. However I'm trying to be ambitious so that's what I'm doing today.
I have to finish my EPQ project this Christmas Holiday since I need to revise for my A-Levels. I also need to focus on AS topics as well as A2 so the sooner I complete my EPQ the more time I have to focus on Biology and Chemistry.:eek: A lot of work to do so I'll add a motivational quote below:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
UPDATE 23/12/16:
Today I wasn't feeling well so i attempted to make notes for Biology topic 2 and gave up on that. I was meant to commit to EPQ but every time I got up I would feel ill again. So I resorted to sitting on my little chair/sofa doing Chemistry practice questions and taking breaks in between. Don't you just hate it when you plan something to meticulous detail but something derails your plans and so you end up having to reschedule your whole timetable. So for me I'm going to have to set back my timetable. But every day counts and so far I've got 11 days left!
I really need to have days where I feel like I've done a lot of work and accomplished something, meaning proper revision.
Anyone got tips on their Holiday revision plans? Anyone doing the same subjects as me which are: Biology Edexcel, Chemistry OCR A and RE OCR. But i'm really focused on Chemistry and Biology.
Once i begin proper revision i can upload pictures of posters and notes. I look forward to sharing resources with other people on the same boat as me and helping each other with problems if there's anyone interested. After all this website is all about helping one another and gaining inspiration from others:biggrin:. This was a really long speech. You see once i start typing i really can't stop:biggrin::smile:
Hey! I'm doing Biology (AQA) and chemistry and it's OCR A - I have an AS organic test when we get back and I sick at organic!

How's things going on your end?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Are you doing edexcel biology A (Salters-Nuffield) or B? :smile:
Original post by Tima.H
So the Christmas Holiday has started On Tuesday 20th December and I'm going back to school Tuesday 2nd/3rd January. So I didn't do much on Tuesday and Wednesday (clearly procrastination is a HUGE problem here) and so I definitely need to put my head down and start working hard. I also have a project to complete, a dissertation, as well as revise AS and what we've done in A2 so far.
So that's the overview of what my holiday is going to entail.

Today is Thursday 22nd December and I am going to write a list of things i need to do today. At the end of the day I will update this blog and state what i did in the day. So I need to:
-Complete Topic 1 Biology Notes
-Do some EPQ work( Extended Project Qualification?
I actually think i forgot to talk about what subjects I'm doing. My A-Level subjects include A-LEVEL Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies and EPQ.
So I will update Tonight what I've done!:smile::smile:. See ya! (if anyone is actually there, probably not:biggrin:)

Hello Tima! I really like your thread and I am doing my GCSEs right now. Next year I am planning to A Levels of biology, chemistry and psychology. Can you just help me by giving some tips to improve my grades so that I can do these A levels. Thanks.
Original post by Tima.H
Hey!:smile:This is my first time trying this, so i'm new to starting a thread on TSR. Usually I just browse this website to get motivated by looking at other people's threads on how they're revising.
I'm not expecting any responses but this is just so i can write down what I've done and what I need to do so i can improve.
Hopefully doing this will be helpful.

Hey! Great thread and hope you're enjoying your Christmas break! I'm going to watch your thread, as I'm doing Chemistry too https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4233122. :smile:

Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by brainzistheword
Hey! Great thread and hope you're enjoying your Christmas break! I'm going to watch your thread, as I'm doing Chemistry too https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4233122. :smile:

Best of luck :biggrin:

Hi. Thanks a lot and good luck in Chemistry. Have a good Christmas break!:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by sarakhoja
Hello Tima! I really like your thread and I am doing my GCSEs right now. Next year I am planning to A Levels of biology, chemistry and psychology. Can you just help me by giving some tips to improve my grades so that I can do these A levels. Thanks.

Hey! I would say that to improve your grades to get great GCSEs you should make sure you understand all the concepts in each subject, go over everything till you're an expert and practice past papers when the exam dates are closer so from the Easter Holidays. Past papers are definitely useful. But I'm not an expert so don't just rely on me, research different methods of revision. For some people flashcards are useful, others posters,mind maps or notes. But definitely understanding what you're learning is key and for me I would memorise stuff. But each subject varies in GCSEs because maths you don't really memorise anything. Anyway hope this helped. Feel free to ask anything else though I'm not really an expert or anything.Bye and I'm glad you're enjoying my thread!:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by emelinaw
Are you doing edexcel biology A (Salters-Nuffield) or B? :smile:

Edexcel Biology A- salters-nuffield:smile:
Reply 15
Original post by nomophobia
Hey! I'm doing Biology (AQA) and chemistry and it's OCR A - I have an AS organic test when we get back and I sick at organic!

How's things going on your end?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing A2 chemistry now since I'm in yr13. Eveything is going okay in terms of what I'm learning in class but it's a struggle balancing AS and A2 revision. I would advise that you revise AS content in the summer if your exams on both years content because of the new specification. uggh:frown:
But good luck with your Organic Chemistry test. I personally prefer physical chemistry more than organic chemistry. But organic chemistry is a lot of memorisation of reactions, drawing organic compounds and drawing out organic mechanisms.
Original post by Tima.H
I'm doing A2 chemistry now since I'm in yr13. Eveything is going okay in terms of what I'm learning in class but it's a struggle balancing AS and A2 revision. I would advise that you revise AS content in the summer if your exams on both years content because of the new specification. uggh:frown:
But good luck with your Organic Chemistry test. I personally prefer physical chemistry more than organic chemistry. But organic chemistry is a lot of memorisation of reactions, drawing organic compounds and drawing out organic mechanisms.

I'm in year 13 so I'm doing A2 as well sorry about the misunderstanding haha - we do have the AS test but blah. Thanks! And same, organic is a lot of application and there's a million ways they can ask the same question whereas physical is just easy to grasp concepts. And it's too late for me to revise over the summer that's why I'm doing it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by nomophobia
I'm in year 13 so I'm doing A2 as well sorry about the misunderstanding haha - we do have the AS test but blah. Thanks! And same, organic is a lot of application and there's a million ways they can ask the same question whereas physical is just easy to grasp concepts. And it's too late for me to revise over the summer that's why I'm doing it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh it's fine. We had the AS mock just before the Christmas holiday for all our subjects. So i was panicking since i didn't revise AS in the summer holidays so i understand how you're feeling. They also added the A2 topics we covered. So good luck!:smile: Do you do OCR A as well if you do we can discuss Chemistry related stuff.
Original post by Tima.H
Hey! I would say that to improve your grades to get great GCSEs you should make sure you understand all the concepts in each subject, go over everything till you're an expert and practice past papers when the exam dates are closer so from the Easter Holidays. Past papers are definitely useful. But I'm not an expert so don't just rely on me, research different methods of revision. For some people flashcards are useful, others posters,mind maps or notes. But definitely understanding what you're learning is key and for me I would memorise stuff. But each subject varies in GCSEs because maths you don't really memorise anything. Anyway hope this helped. Feel free to ask anything else though I'm not really an expert or anything.Bye and I'm glad you're enjoying my thread!:smile:

Thank you so much Tima for your tips. This is really helping me and I am really working hard by doing revisions from the past papers. Your tips are very useful to me. If I need any help I'll definitely ask you. Thanks once again.
Original post by Tima.H
Oh it's fine. We had the AS mock just before the Christmas holiday for all our subjects. So i was panicking since i didn't revise AS in the summer holidays so i understand how you're feeling. They also added the A2 topics we covered. So good luck!:smile: Do you do OCR A as well if you do we can discuss Chemistry related stuff.

Oooh, how did they go? When do you get your grades back? Yeah I do OCR A too!

Let's discuss how much I freakin' hate chemistry! :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending