The Student Room Group

So why is smoking such a big turn off?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't think it's a turn off but I'm quite easy going with things like that, it's not a major thing for me. If you don't like it, fair enough. If you do, fair enough. Once again, it's a preference thing I suppose. But more and more people smoke on nights out, everywhere's got a smoking area. Perhaps this is an indicator.
Original post by Elena.Catalina
Of course each individual has freewill, nobody is going to take that away from you by all means. I'm not trying to come off as judgmental, because I really don't judge anyone, but some might make a balk of good ground just because of a bad habit.

And exactly, everybody has different lifestyles after all!

That's what I was wondering. But as some said on this thread, they might not even have time to realize that they're the person of their dreams because they notice the smoke. I could never consider it a deal-breaker, tbf.

Yeah, its quite scary to be fair how often we might (or may have) thrown away that person because of the one 'flaw' they may have. Nobody is perfect at the end of the day. And judging by some of the people you meet a college/uni, smoking is one of the least outrageous tbh.
Reply 22
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
The smell... it's just awful. :redface: Sickening, and it is so overpowering that you can't just ignore it. Which is why smoking in public is inconsiderate, it offends the senses. Plus, people I know who smoke have bad teeth, bad nails, and smell gross. :/

Tbh I equate cigarette odour with the smell of **** - neither are pleasant or at all bearable. :|

Living my whole life with a partner who stinks of smoke would be a nightmare, I'd end up smelling and our house would. I don't want to live like that. 😷

Maybe it's just me that got so used to it that I don't even find it gross or sickening. And I am really sensitive when it comes to bad odors. But I find that people who don't have any hygiene at all smell way more horrible than smokers. :colonhash:

People who don't take care of themselves have as well bad teeth or bad smell or gross hair and nails. It's just a generalization of smokers. You don't have to be a smoker to look unhealthy.

Yeah, but living your whole life with a partner who doesn't appreciate you or hurts you is much worse in my opinion. :s-smilie:
The smell... it's just awful. :redface: Sickening, and it is so overpowering that you can't just ignore it. Which is why smoking in public is inconsiderate, it offends the senses. Plus, people I know who smoke have bad teeth, bad nails, and smell gross. :/

Tbh I equate cigarette odour with the smell of **** - neither are pleasant or at all bearable. :|

Living my whole life with a partner who stinks of smoke would be a nightmare, I'd end up smelling and our house would. I don't want to live like that. 😷

I get where you are coming from and they are some of the reasons I don't personally smoke. I tried once but was too stupid, young (and drunk) to actually inhale the thing and never again did I ever think of trying. The smell (house, clothes etc) seems to be the hardest part. I wouldn't stop myself from dating a smoker (depending of the severity and use) but I would have to think and talk with them about it before moving in together and setting some house rules to agree on. (e.g. not smoking indoors and especially no where near kids).
Reply 24
Original post by Just4
I don't think it's a turn off but I'm quite easy going with things like that, it's not a major thing for me. If you don't like it, fair enough. If you do, fair enough. Once again, it's a preference thing I suppose. But more and more people smoke on nights out, everywhere's got a smoking area. Perhaps this is an indicator.

After debating, they actually approved the law in my country which doesn't allow people to smoke at all inside public places or even in their car, only on terraces, every restaurant and pub opened their space outside with tables and even electric heating for cold weather. That's how much people who smoke contribute, when that happened, I really realized what a priority they are for those places and not only. The amount of tax that goes with a pack of cigarette and so on.
Reply 25
Original post by Bennybee4
Yeah, its quite scary to be fair how often we might (or may have) thrown away that person because of the one 'flaw' they may have. Nobody is perfect at the end of the day. And judging by some of the people you meet a college/uni, smoking is one of the least outrageous tbh.

Yeah, I think we all have our flaws, but once you really like somebody you learn to overlook them.
I have always stated that if the last available spouse for me to get married to was a smoker, I would become a nun and enroll into a convent.

That is how much I cannot stand smoking. I have friends who are smokers but they know well that they cannot smoke in my presence and cannot visit me while smelling of smoke.

I would have understood smoking if there was a health benefit to it but there is none.
It's sad that some people might not try to have a connection with a smoker just because of that and only that. When that person could simply be amazing. :rolleyes:

But I guess society is just messed up.

Tbf think of how many relationships didn't happen because one of the people didn't get lucky in the genetic lottery.

I understand you're thinking, but some people have instant turn-offs however ridiculous they may appear.
Reply 28
After debating, they actually approved the law in my country which doesn't allow people to smoke at all inside public places or even in their car, only on terraces, every restaurant and pub opened their space outside with tables and even electric heating for cold weather. That's how much people who smoke contribute, when that happened, I really realized what a priority they are for those places and not only. The amount of tax that goes with a pack of cigarette and so on.

Wow, which country do you live in? Tbh in mine it's relatively similar except you're allowed to smoke in the car just not in public places. Smoking areas tend to be outside and out of the way of non smokers. It's a massive industry tbh, the government would suffer without smokers; it contributes £9.5 billion to the treasury and tbh costs the NHS loads as well. I did a GP placement last year and there were loads of middle aged/old men and women coming in with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - it wasn't pleasant to witness.
Reply 29
Original post by Diego Costa
Tbf think of how many relationships didn't happen because one of the people didn't get lucky in the genetic lottery.

I understand you're thinking, but some people have instant turn-offs however ridiculous they may appear.

Oh my god. I'm going to remember this phrase.

Can't give you enough rep for that.

Yeah, you're right. Everyone has their turn-offs after all.
Original post by Diego Costa

PRSOM :smile: Great comment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It killed my dad so I couldn't be with a smoker as I d just believe the same would happen to them. I m also asthmatic so being near anywhere someone that is smoking isn't just unpleasant it can do my health harm
Reply 32
Original post by Just4
Wow, which country do you live in? Tbh in mine it's relatively similar except you're allowed to smoke in the car just not in public places. Smoking areas tend to be outside and out of the way of non smokers. It's a massive industry tbh, the government would suffer without smokers; it contributes £9.5 billion to the treasury and tbh costs the NHS loads as well. I did a GP placement last year and there were loads of middle aged/old men and women coming in with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - it wasn't pleasant to witness.

I live in Romania. I think our government has just became aware of how many adolescents actually smoke, even though they were practically encouraged with all the flavors involved in the cigarettes market.

Yeah, it is one of the biggest industries around. It contributes to the NHS, but billions go into the health care expenditures for diseases such as pulmonary ones.

I read that in the past 20 years, California has saved around $90 billion in health care costs due to fewer citizens using tobacco.
Maybe it's just me that got so used to it that I don't even find it gross or sickening. And I am really sensitive when it comes to bad odors. But I find that people who don't have any hygiene at all smell way more horrible than smokers. :colonhash:

Lol, tbh people with terrible hygiene also offend the senses - but the smell doesn't really surround like cigarette smoke does. But I think both bad hygiene and the smell of smoke are equally as unappealing to me.

And yes, how tolerant people are to smoke varies - so you might not find it sickening but to someone else (e.g. me :tongue:) it will be too much.

People who don't take care of themselves have as well bad teeth or bad smell or gross hair and nails. It's just a generalization of smokers. You don't have to be a smoker to look unhealthy.

That's true, but when you put a smoker against a regular non smoker, the smoker is more likely to look unhealthy (if they are both equally as hygienic and stuff). But smokers I've come across have exhibited these physical effects of smoking, it is well documented that smoking damages nails and discolours teeth. :redface:

Ofc, some smokers may have good teeth and nails, while some non-smokers may have bad teeth and nails. It's just a likelihood thing, that comes with the smoker lifestyle.

Yeah, but living your whole life with a partner who doesn't appreciate you or hurts you is much worse in my opinion. :s-smilie:

Hmm that is also bad, but it is not a case of pick the smoker or someone who doesn't like you/is abusive or whatever. There aren't just these two options, and I don't believe that there is only one perfect match for everyone out there. If someone favours a non smoker, they won't have to settle for someone who doesn't appreciate them.
I live in Romania. I think our government has just became aware of how many adolescents actually smoke, even though they were practically encouraged with all the flavors involved in the cigarettes market.

Yeah, it is one of the biggest industries around. It contributes to the NHS, but billions go into the health care expenditures for diseases such as pulmonary ones.

I read that in the past 20 years, California has saved around $90 billion in health care costs due to fewer citizens using tobacco.

Yeah, that figure would make sense. Here in the UK its came down massively too. Some teens do it (from the heavy smokers to the party smokers) but on the streets during the day its you're average/older adult. As @Just4 said its the amount of laws now. You can't do smoke indoors (in public places) and here in Scotland (maybe in England too now??) You can't smoke in the car with a child present. And I think they are taking it pretty seriously too if you get caught.
Plus tax in the UK has made it an expensive habit
Reply 35
Original post by Bennybee4
Yeah, that figure would make sense. Here in the UK its came down massively too. Some teens do it (from the heavy smokers to the party smokers) but on the streets during the day its you're average/older adult. As @Just4 said its the amount of laws now. You can't do smoke indoors (in public places) and here in Scotland (maybe in England too now??) You can't smoke in the car with a child present. And I think they are taking it pretty seriously too if you get caught.
Plus tax in the UK has made it an expensive habit

They penalize you a lot of money if you get caught here. Friends who smoked in parks where children were around, had to pay no less than 160 euro. It's insane, but they are really taking it serious, indeed.

And I heard that cigarettes are the most expensive in the UK.
Reply 36

That's true, but when you put a smoker against a regular non smoker, the smoker is more likely to look unhealthy (if they are both equally as hygienic and stuff). But smokers I've come across have exhibited these physical effects of smoking, it is well documented that smoking damages nails and discolours teeth. :redface:

Ofc, some smokers may have good teeth and nails, while some non-smokers may have bad teeth and nails. It's just a likelihood thing, that comes with the smoker lifestyle.

Yeah, I do agree.

Hmm that is also bad, but it is not a case of pick the smoker or someone who doesn't like you/is abusive or whatever. There aren't just these two options, and I don't believe that there is only one perfect match for everyone out there. If someone favours a non smoker, they won't have to settle for someone who doesn't appreciate them.

I wasn't implying that at all. Of course you wouldn't have to pick from these options. Just saying that someone who hurts you and doesn't value might be as bad as a smoker, or even worse. At least for me it would be.

But I get that everyone has its preferences and aspects that irritate them.
cos its disgusting and it stinks and u can get lung cancer from it!! i made my bf give up other wise i wouldnt be with him and its so chavvy as well so many people at my college do it just to look cool but it aint cool one bit!
I cannot stand the stink of one even a bit.
So yeah instant turn off.
Reply 39
It also releases toxic secondhand gasses which mean eve if your not a smoker, you may still suffer. It also is just a blatantly disgusting smell and is terrible for your health and the health of those around you, not to mention it's addictive so you're unlikely to stop.It's just disgusting really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending